Singapore Expats

Private Health Cover in Singapore

Discuss the different insurance options from car to health insurance.
AussieChris

Private Health Cover in Singapore

Post by AussieChris » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 1:09 pm

Hi there,

I'm moving from Australia shortly to Singapore and will be looking to take out private health cover if it is available.

In Australia the public health system is ok, but not great - hence why many people elect to purchase private cover also. I'm currently covered by a company called HCF.

I suppose my questions are:

1. Is private health cover required in Singapore or is the public system good enough?
2. Who are some reputable providers?
3. What does it cost per month for a basic singles cover?

I don't have any health problems but would like to be covered if something serious were to happen.

life_is_great

Post by life_is_great » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 1:14 pm

To answer your first question, the public system is not good enough. As a foreigner it is unlikely for you to be covered under medicare and other local schemes.

There is local private health insurance and there is international private health insurance. Even though more costly, I would prefer the international health insurance providers such as Bupa or DKV as the coverage tends to be better.

AussieChris

Post by AussieChris » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 1:42 pm

Thanks mate, I'll have a chat to Bupa.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:10 pm

AussieChris wrote:Thanks mate, I'll have a chat to Bupa.
before talking to BUPA, you would first talk to your employer and find out the coverage they provide

most employers allow you to add on to their existing out patient clinic coverage with a hospitalization cover, that is subsidized by the employer

if that doesn't sound nice, or tempting, then you should talk to third party insurers !!!

AussieChris

Post by AussieChris » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:17 pm

you are right ecureilx, and this is something I am also doing - but I like to have my bases covered and know the other options out there.

thanks for your help.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:35 pm

AussieChris wrote:you are right ecureilx, and this is something I am also doing - but I like to have my bases covered and know the other options out there.

thanks for your help.
expat insurance from the likes of Bupa et al aren't cheap

unless you have a lot of spare cash, I would go with my previous suggestion before looking around for other options

btw search for Pacific Prime Insurance, they sort of provide comparison between various insurances !