Singapore Expats

A note from my nutty bible belt US Sister in Law re my son

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

A note from my nutty bible belt US Sister in Law re my son

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:19 am

Maybe I am overly worried about what may never happen, but I happened to see the pic of your son when he got his military papers. I know Idi Amin had 12 yr olds in his army, I am very afraid the whole moslem world is going to go up in arms against Israel, (not to mention maybe the rest of us too) Is there any way you might keep on the back burner of your brain a way to get him to his grandmother in Aus. where he might just be out of the country for a period of time? Sorry, just not happy with the potential situation.
Where the hell do these people get their information? Do they even study geography in school? What's more this is a woman who has a Masters in Linguistics! (And I hate "Muslim" being spelt "Moslem").

My response:

Singapore is not a Muslim country - the army is secular. He will most likely serve in the Police or Civil Defense (not combat) which are options for 'conscientious objectors' or those who don't want a combat role. As he is in Police Cadets at school I think it's very likely he will be in the Police for the 20 months compulsory service when he turns 18. If he doesn't' serve it will be very hard (impossible) for him to return to Singapore without going to prison. Thanks for your concern but I've been aware of this issue for a long time.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: A note from my nutty bible belt US Sister in Law re my s

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:42 am

PNGMK wrote: (And I hate "Muslim" being spelt "Moslem").
There is no official transliteration for Arabic to English, so technically Moslem is just as correct as Muslim.

That said, she is a awfully sheltered and ignorant. Reminds me of the local "true blue" keyboard warriors we sometimes deal with.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 11:50 am

The nanny to our son is a Muslim. A friend of mine when our son was 3yo asked us if we were not concerned she could made him a Muslim (it was put a bit more diplomatic way). This friend of mine is a PhD in natural sciences working in Singapore in an R&D institute and otherwise rather reasonable lady. The only reason I can think about is that she is pretty orthodox Christian.

My personal mother living back in Europe is afraid that our nanny may want to kidnap our son.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:01 am

No worries, such parochialism is all over the world. They live in a tiny bubble and view the world via their tiny lenses. May the good lord bless her soul and maybe one day open up her world a little bit :) .

The enemy is fear. We think it is hate, but it is fear. Says Gandhi.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 12:28 am

It took some convincing to make hubby travel to Asia. He was under the impression that people live under the same roof with their pigs in Asia :P. He has a solid formal education, double majors with a master. And also lived in highly diverse areas within USA for many years.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 2:39 am

Knowing PNGMK, if he finds his SIL too religiously ignorant/intolerant, I really believe him.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 8:27 am

:lol: ^^This!
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers