Singapore Expats

arrested for theft for first time.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
den1596

arrested for theft for first time.

Post by den1596 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 6:28 pm

Hi everybody,

My brother was arrested for theft.

He found a IPhone 4 month back. It was already reset with no sim card.and the phone was also icloud lock. at that time there is no info of the owner. So being useless phone he kept it aside and didn't return to relevant authority.

Recently he decided to sell the phone.but this time when he on the phone it has a message stating the number to call if found . He assumed that the owner will accuse him of stealing. So he didnt call.The new buyer knew that the phone was lock but didn't know abt the number and just want the spare part to fix his faulty iphone. But his plan failed and decided to call the number on the phone. So now he got arrested.

Now waiting for result from his IO.

I'm so worried for him. He is a first timer and with clean record. I read he could be jail up to 3 years but the IO said he would recommend warning to the prosecutor.

Anyone know of similar cases. ?

Thanks in advance. Just a worried older brother here.
Last edited by den1596 on Tue, 16 Sep 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 9:08 pm

What a fishy story. Should have called the number and said, "I found the phone" instead of trying to sell it. If you buy or sell stolen goods, even if you didn't do the stealing, you are as guilty as the person that actually stole it.

den1596

Post by den1596 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:43 pm

I don't know what he is thinking at the point of time.

If it's true that he said he found it and he did a stupid mistake of selling it instead of returning it. I'm just disappointed.

If he really steal it than I'm very sad and disappointed.
But I know my brother. For 23 years he Never once Cause any trouble or get into one.

Will he get a long sentence?

den1596

Post by den1596 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:32 pm

just found out that he is actually arrested for fraudulent possession of property.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 12:27 am

He sold the phone for his own personal gain, knowing that it was not his and although he had the number of the original owner. This is intentional criminal behaviour and he deserved to be punished - even though he might not have stolen it.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: arrested for theft for first time.

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 1:06 am

den1596 wrote:the phone it has a massage stating the number to call if found . He assumed that the owner will accuse him of stealing.
This has got to be the most twisted logic ever. Why would the owner accuse him of stealing if he called the number to say, 'I found your phone?' The owner would be thankful. The owner would probably buy him lunch.

Why would the owner think he stole it if he called the number? A person that thinks this already knows he is guilty.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 1:19 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
den1596 wrote:the phone it has a massage stating the number to call if found . He assumed that the owner will accuse him of stealing.
This has got to be the most twisted logic ever. Why would the owner accuse him of stealing if he called the number to say, 'I found your phone?' The owner would be thankful. The owner would probably buy him lunch.

Why would the owner think he stole it if he called the number? A person that thinks this already knows he is guilty.

I dunno, I could see a lot of people I've encountered in Singapore saying 'Eh you stole it lah!' after having it returned. I doubt a free lunch.

That said, he should have turned it in at a local police station ASAP when finding it.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 5:26 am

Strong Eagle wrote:

Maybe he just didn't want a massage. :twisted:
Be careful what you wish for

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 8:56 am

If there is one thing lacking in this part of the world, it is called common sense/logic.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 9:21 am

den1596 wrote:Will he get a long sentence?
Probably not but this is his least problem. If convicted he is a criminal from now on and in countries like Singapore it will stay with him forever. If you are foreigners he may be also deported from Singapore and rightly so.

den1596

Post by den1596 » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 9:26 am

I know what he did was wrong. And maybe he deserve it like all you guys are saying. It's easy for you all to say Cause it's not your love one.

It's just shock me Cause this is the first serious case that have happen to our family member and we are in shock. We dont know what to expect.

Hopefully he doesn't get jail time. I know what he did was an offense. No argue. But knowing my brother I don't think he deserve a jail time.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 9:39 am

den1596 wrote:Hi everybody,

My brother was arrested for theft.

He found a IPhone 4 month back. It was already reset with no sim card.and the phone was also icloud lock. at that time there is no info of the owner. So being useless phone he kept it aside and didn't return to relevant authority.

Recently he decided to sell the phone.but this time when he on the phone it has a message stating the number to call if found . He assumed that the owner will accuse him of stealing. So he didnt call.The new buyer knew that the phone was lock but didn't know abt the number and just want the spare part to fix his faulty iphone. But his plan failed and decided to call the number on the phone. So now he got arrested.

Now waiting for result from his IO.

I'm so worried for him. He is a first timer and with clean record. I read he could be jail up to 3 years but the IO said he would recommend warning to the prosecutor.

Anyone know of similar cases. ?

Thanks in advance. Just a worried older brother here.
Since you're asking for similar stories, here are some examples:

Theft 1

Theft 2

Note that it is not known if the thief is a local or foreigner so the outcome might be different between the two.

den1596

Post by den1596 » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:06 am

Thank you very much for the reply. Appreciate it much.

But as I read he was not charged for theft but possession of fraudulent property as stated in the paper. section 35(1) chapter 184 and it's different from theft.

I'm so stress right now. I don't know which is more serious. For the sentence of possession of fraudulent property is fine not more than 3k or jail not exceed 1 year or both. .

Can the prosecutors change the charged? Like from possession of fraudulent property. To theft? And may I know which is more serious?

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:17 am

den1596 wrote:Thank you very much for the reply. Appreciate it much.

But as I read he was not charged for theft but possession of fraudulent property as stated in the paper. section 35(1) chapter 184 and it's different from theft.

I'm so stress right now. I don't know which is more serious. For the sentence of possession of fraudulent property is fine not more than 3k or jail not exceed 1 year or both. .

Can the prosecutors change the charged? Like from possession of fraudulent property. To theft? And may I know which is more serious?
A lawyer will advise you better in this case. But based on my layperson perspective (highlighted for emphasis), theft is viewed more seriously than possession of fraudulent property. Maybe his lawyer can defend on basis of his ignorance and he is first-time offender. But I would still think it is wrong from the beginning (which you also agreed) and it would be wishful thinking on your end and his end to expect leniency (in terms of less jail sentence and/or fine) for that.

den1596

Post by den1596 » Tue, 16 Sep 2014 10:26 am

Hi,

Once again Thank you very much. Yes I agree that he is in the wrong. The IO talk to me the other day and he told my brother the same thing, that he believe my brother found the phone but doesn't have the intention to return it.

But it's still up to the prosecutors to believe him right?

I just hope it will be just a warning or a fine.