Singapore Expats

arrested for theft for first time.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: arrested for theft for first time.

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 3:08 pm

If he is such a simple person, how on earth did he graduate in Australia? Sounds like he didn't stop after secondary school, but was just lucky he wasn't caught when in Australia. I reckon he's going to do time if found guilty and I doubt there it very much that can be done about it. A lawyer will probably be throwing good money after a bad egg. What happened? Couldn't find a buyer for the handphones? How was he arrested for theft? what kind of theft? Shoplifting, breaking and entering, burglary? As there were stolen goods in your flat, you could be charged with receiving stolen goods or harbouring a criminal. I suggest you let him sit and get whatever is necessary as if he get off, he'll just keep doing it, thinking he's charmed. Sit tight, keep your mouth closed and wait. Best advice I can give, short of going back to Malaysia.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

desperatebrother

Post by desperatebrother » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 3:26 pm

john
Last edited by desperatebrother on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 4:29 pm

But yet you have known he has been a thief his entire life and you did nothing but kept your mouth closed. So you weren't so helpful yourself when it really mattered when he was growing up and still a minor so could have gotten off with a minor punishment. Instead you let him continue until he became an adult so he could do hard time. Think about what you wrote. Where I come from there isn't any "mitigation" like in the courts here. You do the crime, you do the time. You had ample time to stop his habits as you have known about them for years and yet you didn't show him enough love to nip it in the bud. It's called tough love, but it works when nothing else works. My advice is about the best you are going to get, I fear. Short of spending a lot of money on lawyers that will be useless as he was caught with the goods.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 5:07 pm

Fully agree with the above. Also ask yourself who are you trying to convince, us, or yourself. Perhaps going to jail now will be the best thing that may happen to him. Last moment and waking up call before he finds himself in some more deeper s**t.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: arrested for theft for first time.

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 5:55 pm

desperatebrother wrote: I was just thinking that it is rather drastic for him to do time since it is his first offence (yes, probably not the first time theft but first time caught) but still first offence ...
Many times robbed first time caught ....

Not the first time I heard this.

knowing SPF they may force him to admit his past cases unless he is a professional liar too.

While past cases may not be admissible as evidence for this case, it will be used to portray his character as a compulsive thief and seek harsh punishment.. Caning and jail I am sure is coming. Plus deportation.

As for 2 phones, again, per SPFs past cases, it will be 2 robberies, not one robbery, so there goes the chance for future Steve Jobs to be treated with kid gloved.

That's just my 2 cents.

Ps. While a lot of robbers beg for mercy, having known some victims, elsewhere, do you know how traumatic it can be for some victims ? so why does the robbers deserve mercy ?

desperatebrother

Post by desperatebrother » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 6:05 pm

john 2
Last edited by desperatebrother on Thu, 30 Jul 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 6:08 pm

desperatebrother wrote:. It's easy to judge and to comment, I wouldn't wish for this to happen to any of your families or people you cared for. .
Have you met any victims of robbery or home invasion to see how they feel ?

Just wondering ...

desperatebrother

Post by desperatebrother » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 6:10 pm

You will know if you know what I do for a living. So yes, I do.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 6:13 pm

desperatebrother wrote:You will know if you know what I do for a living. So yes, I do.
I don't want to know what you do for a living but your seemingly tolerating and trivializing your brother's crime as he is your own blood seems unfair for the victims ....

Anyway, good luck ...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 28 Jul 2015 9:40 pm

Your brother's problem is this: If your brother were caught with a single handphone, the authorities might have been lenient enough to say that he was stealing one for his own personal use. But, I would guess that they caught him stealing multiple phones, or he had additional phones on him when they caught him stealing one phone, or they followed him from store to store and caught him stealing multiple phones.

This is why they came to your home to search for stolen property, and they found even more stolen phones. I doubt they would have come to your house had he only a single stolen phone on his person, unless he confessed to stealing more.

So, your brother doesn't look like a person who stole a latest model phone because he wanted one for himself, he stole a bunch of phones as a professional thief, to resell or fence and make money. They will come down hard on him. And I think they should. I despise thieves, taking others hard earned property.

You say it's his first time but it's his first time as being a professional thief then isn't it? It's not like the dumbass who slipped one of something into his pocket, is it? He's done it more than once, hasn't he, especially since he had handphones at your house. So, it's not really his first time, not even this time, because he has stolen phones in the house.

I'd wait for the charge to be filed by the IO then decide about a lawyer. I can see why no bail is being offered... they are afraid he will do a runner... maybe with the support of his family.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 2:05 pm

Just wait for the outcome by IO. Any premature move at this point is futile.

desperatebrother

Post by desperatebrother » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 2:11 pm

john 3

Clivechia

Post by Clivechia » Fri, 07 Aug 2015 8:37 pm

I think likely is a warning for this case.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 07 Aug 2015 9:50 pm

Clivechia wrote:I think likely is a warning for this case.
How much of the posts you read before revealing the above advice ?

Did you miss the part that said the suspect was arrested ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Aug 2015 10:43 pm

Chivechia has been posting garage one-liners all night. I feel sorry for him actually. He must be really lonely.