Singapore Expats Forum

Survey-What do you need to advance your international career

Post here for survey, questionnaire or poll for our expat members.
Magtou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 14 Sep 2014
Location: Amsterdam

Survey-What do you need to advance your international career

Postby Magtou » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 6:09 am

Hi everyone,

Iam launching a career service for professionals with international backgrounds in January 2015. I want to understand what you need as a professional worker to advance your career. Could you please take 15 minutes of your time to fill in this survey and you might get insight about your career?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15ZZeN0 ... =send_form

Thanks in advance for your help and your time!

Mag

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Re: Survey-What do you need to advance your international ca

Postby AngMoG » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:52 am

Magtou wrote:Hi everyone,

Iam launching a career service for professionals with international backgrounds in January 2015. I want to understand what you need as a professional worker to advance your career. Could you please take 15 minutes of your time to fill in this survey and you might get insight about your career?

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15ZZeN0 ... =send_form

Thanks in advance for your help and your time!

Mag


So, does that mean you do not have the necessary background / experience to know what people with "international" careers need? And want others to do the research for you? Sigh.

Never mind that using google docs for that is a bit unprofessional... there are any number of free survey sites out there you can use.

Magtou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 14 Sep 2014
Location: Amsterdam

Postby Magtou » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 2:08 pm

Thank you for your response. I am myself international and i have the experience woking in HR and coaching internationally. So, I have the necessary experience and background to know what internationals need for their career. However, while most services may assume what people need, it is always advised to research beforehand based on the lean model and make sure people from various backgrounds get represented in one's service.

I appreciate your comments regarding Google docs and at the moment it was the most appropriate tool for this small scale research.

Thank you for your comment.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5768
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 5:49 pm

What's in it for us? A free T-shirt? Lunch/ Nothing? No thanks.

Magtou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 14 Sep 2014
Location: Amsterdam

Postby Magtou » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 6:18 pm

Thank you for your comment. I would love to provide you with a reward such as a lunch or a tee-shirt, however, the service is currently launched with a limited budget.

At the moment, we are just asking for free contribution to provide quality career services to international workers. So, to respond to your question 'What's in it for us?' : People who would use this service would receive quality support in their international career because proper research would have been done beforehand.

I do understand you would not see an interest in responding to a survey for free and you are free not to respond. We are considering offering rewards for the upcoming surveys to be launched next year.

Regards

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 6:40 pm

One more career service provider to add to the 257,863 already out there. Just what we need. Well, actually, for those of us that are already expats, it would seem that we don't need the service as we are well capable to doing it ourselves. Frankly, that's the least that "Foreign Talent" should be able to do.

Magtou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 14 Sep 2014
Location: Amsterdam

Postby Magtou » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 7:11 pm

Thank you for your comment.

As an international worker with a background in HR and Recruitment, I have experienced something different. I experienced the barrier of culture, languages in my career and the difficulty in finding the job I really wanted. Internationals and expats around me have experienced the same. So, I am currently helping international workers moving forward and succeeding in their career.

I also have the experience of various services for expats that might be unnecessary at times. So, I relate to you in this sense.

I do understand you might have another experience and I guess it may differ per country and people.

Thank you for sharing your opinion

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 7:34 pm

Magtou wrote:I experienced the barrier of culture, languages in my career and the difficulty in finding the job I really wanted.

Could you please give some specific examples for the above? For me too it's hard to imagine what sort of problems you are talking about.

Magtou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 14 Sep 2014
Location: Amsterdam

Postby Magtou » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 8:09 pm

Thanks for raising this question. I have realized in my own experience that expats and internationals are very talented but they may lack professional networks or have to face cultural barriers.

When I lived in Australia and the Netherlands, It took me a while to understand the do's and don't in the professional settings. In both cases, I had to learn a new language and a new culture. I experienced stress when adjusting to both countries. It is also the experience of many expats and international friends in my surrounding. At one point, I found some professional coaching support and it helped me to develop my network to find better opportunities and change my mindset.

You might be interested to read this article:

http://www.expart.nl/dual-career-challe ... concerned/

I would be interested to know what you think.

Regards,

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 8:32 pm

Magtou wrote:Thank you for your comment.

As an international worker with a background in HR and Recruitment, I have experienced something different. I experienced the barrier of culture, languages in my career and the difficulty in finding the job I really wanted. Internationals and expats around me have experienced the same. So, I am currently helping international workers moving forward and succeeding in their career.

I also have the experience of various services for expats that might be unnecessary at times. So, I relate to you in this sense.

I do understand you might have another experience and I guess it may differ per country and people.

Thank you for sharing your opinion


I've spent the last 20 years in Asia as an HR functionary from Head Hunter to HR & Finance Manger of a Small Medium Enterprise (SME) with a staff strength around 200 on average comprising about 4 or 5 different nationalities (45% foreign) which I hold today. I'm on my 3rd career with 10 in the first, 18 in the 2nd and currently 20 and counting in the third. This one will take me until retirement, whenever that is.

Good luck with your venture in any case.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 10:18 pm

Magtou wrote:Thanks for raising this question. I have realized in my own experience that expats and internationals are very talented but they may lack professional networks or have to face cultural barriers.

When I lived in Australia and the Netherlands, It took me a while to understand the do's and don't in the professional settings. In both cases, I had to learn a new language and a new culture. I experienced stress when adjusting to both countries. It is also the experience of many expats and international friends in my surrounding. At one point, I found some professional coaching support and it helped me to develop my network to find better opportunities and change my mindset.

Sorry, you did not answer my question, you just repeated your statement and actually added to my confusion. I spent 4y working in the Netherlands and still don't know what you are talking about. If somebody can not communicate in one of the standard international languages (almost everybody speaks English or German in NL) or understand a work culture based on common sense/principles as the one in Holland I really don't see any service able to help such person. He or she should just not think about any international post.

Magtou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 14 Sep 2014
Location: Amsterdam

Postby Magtou » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 10:29 pm

I am sorry you did not understand my answer. I guess your experience might be different regarding cross-cultural transition. Anyway, thank you for your comments.

Regards,

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 10:45 pm

Is your service aiming at the low end of the labor market, seasonal fruit/vegetable pickers, construction workers etc.?

Magtou
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun, 14 Sep 2014
Location: Amsterdam

Postby Magtou » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 10:55 pm

I am not considering this target market at the moment.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:25 pm

Magtou wrote:Thanks for raising this question. I have realized in my own experience that expats and internationals are very talented but they may lack professional networks or have to face cultural barriers.

When I lived in Australia and the Netherlands, It took me a while to understand the do's and don't in the professional settings. In both cases, I had to learn a new language and a new culture. I experienced stress when adjusting to both countries. It is also the experience of many expats and international friends in my surrounding. At one point, I found some professional coaching support and it helped me to develop my network to find better opportunities and change my mindset.

You might be interested to read this article:

http://www.expart.nl/dual-career-challe ... concerned/

I would be interested to know what you think.

Regards,


Not sure if you are aware or not but Expat Network is shutting down.

I've known Shona & Linda of Expat Network for almost 17 years (from my days as an Engineering Headhunter). I've met both of them here in Singapore. They are winding up operations as it's no longer a viable concern. There last issue of their expat magazine, Nexus was this month (September). I've been downloading mine electronically for a couple of years now. Will be shame to see them go. I used to advertise with them when I was in the industry.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Surveys”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest