Singapore Expats Forum

when to apply PR?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
dajitesh
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri, 12 Sep 2014

Postby dajitesh » Sat, 13 Sep 2014 2:30 am

Wd40 wrote: But if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't sacrifice my daughter's education for the sake of PR, which in any case is not a guarantee.

That's the million dollar word man! Believe it or not, it is the loss of SG, if you decide to move out of this city-state. My company is here to start a new office. It is also opening one in Perth. The plan is that the one will be pure sales and other will be dev center as well. I have been trying to fish local talent last 3 weeks since I have arrived here. Outcome is pathetic. Not sure, how feasible it will be to run a dev center here.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sat, 13 Sep 2014 7:03 pm

Wd40 wrote:Regarding International or local school I don't know. But if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't sacrifice my daughter's education for the sake of PR, which in any case is not a guarantee.


I believe OP has sacrificed a bit already by NOT putting his daughter in An Indian International School :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I dunno maybe your child's place of schooling may have been the straw that broke the camel's back (or not ..... ) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 5:52 pm

Akimbo - why do you need PR?

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 8:11 am

I was already planning to let this thread go since SMS and Barnsley said something about it already :P (Although, I'm still curious on what my chances would be. 20%? 40%?)

But since PNGMK asked.

There is no BIG reason for it...but if there was, at the top of my head I think it would be...

-A chance to get the SG government subsidy if I chase after a new degree, whether master's or I change my entire subject altogether on a new Bachelor's;
-A chance to quit my job, venture the region and come back again to Singapore and find another (possible) job if I can't by the end of my PR period, then so be it...
-A chance to legally moonlight for some kind of freelance job, so I can get some more money on the side? (not sure of this predicament, since I rarely hear them)
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 8:53 am

So, the way I read it, it's so you can avail yourself of any possible benefits while not giving anything back. In fact, you even indicated that you still want to leave to find work outside of Singapore. So you have no real intention of becoming "Permanent" but only so long as you are able to siphon the benefits without having to give up anything.

If I were ICA, I'd offer you PR. But only on the condition that you did NS first. You are still in your 20's so well able and young enough to do it. :-|

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 9:32 am

Oops, you caught me red handed SMS... :oops:

Although, I actually forgot one full stop punctuation...I do mean, that I quit my job for my own sabbatical just so I can "find myself", and then return to Singapore again and find another job here...

Is that actually possible though, the NS thing? To ask me to go for NS just to qualify for a PR?

Let's just say I did get that chance by ICA, and accepted to the the NS regimen. What happens then? I will live at the base camp, only getting a small stipend that I can use during the weekend?

I mean, as far as I can tell right now, when you join NS, you will be training every day, and every fortnight during the weekend, you'll be allowed to go home...but if I don't even have a family here, where would I go home to?
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 9:43 am

Akimbo wrote:Ever since I first started working in my current company, some of my colleagues have been asking me whether I'm a PR or not. I told them I'm not, and don't really want to become one.

But now after three years, going to my fourth, I'm starting to think that it might not be so bad to get a PR, since it seems like I will be in Singapore for a couple more years, despite my previous promise to my family that I'll stay at maximum 5 years, and then move on to another country. So how're my chances, regulars? (I'll use the same format as OP)


Just curious, why did you promise your parents that you will move to another country? I can understand if you promise that you will be back to live with them, but I dont understand "another country".

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 9:44 am

Akimbo wrote:Oops, you caught me red handed SMS... :oops:

Although, I actually forgot one full stop punctuation...I do mean, that I quit my job for my own sabbatical just so I can "find myself", and then return to Singapore again and find another job here...

Is that actually possible though, the NS thing? To ask me to go for NS just to qualify for a PR?

Let's just say I did get that chance by ICA, and accepted to the the NS regimen. What happens then? I will live at the base camp, only getting a small stipend that I can use during the weekend?

I mean, as far as I can tell right now, when you join NS, you will be training every day, and every fortnight during the weekend, you'll be allowed to go home...but if I don't even have a family here, where would I go home to?


Only if SMS was the Controller of Immigration :P

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2012
Location: Germany

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:03 am

It wasn't a promise per se. It's more like, "That's the plan" and that's what my extended families would hold on to whenever I go back during Hari Raya times. I told them I'd like to go back to Germany again, so "another country", WD40. Because I have a mom who has her PhD at a young age from Holland, and then all my families starts to compare me, "the first-born child", to be the guy who will "follow the footsteps like his brilliant mother, and go for a PhD too!" My mom doesn't really think like that, however. "Choose your own destiny", she said (Paraphrased :P)

But I know how Life operates. Sometimes plans change. And I'm just anticipating for that, so I won't be too disappointed

Honestly, I don't want to go back for now. At least, I don't want to live in Jakarta with all the traffic and sh*t as of yet. I do think that I will someday return, perhaps for good, but it's not just yet. Not just yet.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Siv
Regular
Regular
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri, 06 Dec 2013

Postby Siv » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 3:23 pm

I thought I'd share some info on this thing.

My ex-colleague, Malaysian Chinese single 33 years old, been in Singapore since 2011. From day 1 he has been on an EP and he applied for PR in June this year, at which his salary was around SGD6K per month. He has submitted 2 tax returns so far.

PR approved just last month.

So, there....another scenario to ponder on....


Cheers
Siv

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 17 Sep 2014 3:30 pm

Siv wrote:I thought I'd share some info on this thing.

My ex-colleague, Malaysian Chinese single 33 years old, been in Singapore since 2011. From day 1 he has been on an EP and he applied for PR in June this year, at which his salary was around SGD6K per month. He has submitted 2 tax returns so far.

PR approved just last month.

So, there....another scenario to ponder on....


Cheers
Siv


Hardly news. Chinese MY = no 1 choice for PR.

aryanj87
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 18 Sep 2014

Postby aryanj87 » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:44 pm

Hey guys.

I would like to ask the opinion of the experienced members in the forum on my PR application. Below are the facts and my profile -

28yrs old
Indian & single :)
Pass - EP
Education: Bachelors degree in Commerce (focus: accounting, finance & tax) from University of Delhi (one of the reputed Universities in India).
Working as an analyst with a boutique fund for over 3 years now.
Salary - SGD4,500 per month. Have filed two IRS.
EP re-newed twice till date without any hassles.
Almost all my saving from Singapore earnings is here.
My social circle is of a mix of local and expats.

I am not into volunteering or social work. So no browny points there.

What are the chances of PR application getting approved, please.

Also any suggestion as to when should I apply and how to structure my application as to increase the probability of success is welcome.

Cheers,
Aryan

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 12:58 pm

aryanj87 wrote:Hey guys.

I would like to ask the opinion of the experienced members in the forum on my PR application. Below are the facts and my profile -

28yrs old
Indian & single :)
Pass - EP
Education: Bachelors degree in Commerce (focus: accounting, finance & tax) from University of Delhi (one of the reputed Universities in India).
Working as an analyst with a boutique fund for over 3 years now.
Salary - SGD4,500 per month. Have filed two IRS.
EP re-newed twice till date without any hassles.
Almost all my saving from Singapore earnings is here.
My social circle is of a mix of local and expats.

I am not into volunteering or social work. So no browny points there.

What are the chances of PR application getting approved, please.

Also any suggestion as to when should I apply and how to structure my application as to increase the probability of success is welcome.

Cheers,
Aryan


Zero%. Why bother? Please just search old threads for the terms "Indian" "PR" and "Chances". At least one person a week asks almost the same question as you. They usually make more money. Answer is always the same.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 1:00 pm

[quote="aryanj87..and how to structure my application as to increase the probability of success is welcome.
[/quote]

well, interesting question ..

have you downloaded the form ?

then see if there is any possibility to 'structure' your application

no offense mate ..

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5771
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 1:46 pm

ecureilx wrote:
aryanj87 wrote:..and how to structure my application as to increase the probability of success is welcome.


well, interesting question ..

have you downloaded the form ?

then see if there is any possibility to 'structure' your application

no offense mate ..


Furthermore structuring = gaming = almost certain rejection if detected.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest