Singapore Expats

Scotland

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 12 Sep 2014 5:43 pm

Except it was 12c, and that was the one of three fine days this year will bring.

p.s. nice pic btw!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 13 Sep 2014 12:51 am

JR8 wrote:Except it was 12c, and that was the one of three fine days this year will bring.

p.s. nice pic btw!
Lol I was going to post something along the same lines. "How cold was it?"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 18 Sep 2014 8:16 pm

If Scotland gains its independence after the forthcoming referendum, the remainder of the United Kingdom will be known as the "Former United Kingdom" (F U K).
In a bid to discourage Scots from voting 'yes' in the referendum, Westminster has now begun to campaign with the slogan:
"Vote NO, for FUK's sake"

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 7:25 am

So all over the news this morning is the excitement about a record turnout for this kind of event possibly over 90%.

Is that a good thing? It suggests there is potentially a high proportion of lesser educated people voting without understanding the implications of their decision. A much bigger proportion of economic and political ignorance than for any general election?

Could one of the most important decisions in the history of the United Kingdom actually be swayed by people who had very little understanding of the issue?

:shock:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 7:39 am

Steve1960 wrote:So all over the news this morning is the excitement about a record turnout for this kind of event possibly over 90%.

Is that a good thing? It suggests there is potentially a high proportion of lesser educated people voting without understanding the implications of their decision. A much bigger proportion of economic and political ignorance than for any general election?

Could one of the most important decisions in the history of the United Kingdom actually be swayed by people who had very little understanding of the issue?

:shock:
Alternatively, you may have the better educated and working votes that would quite often be too busy to make it to the polls. My assumption is undereducated and underemployed. people would have plenty of time to vote. That's how it usually works in the US.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 7:55 am

zzm9980 wrote: Alternatively, you may have the better educated and working votes that would quite often be too busy to make it to the polls. My assumption is undereducated and underemployed. people would have plenty of time to vote. That's how it usually works in the US.
Possibly but not typical in the UK. At the 2010 General Election the highest percentage of voters were in the higher social classes, home owners and in the 55 ish age bracket and the lowest social classes had the smallest turnout.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 7:57 am

Steve1960 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: Alternatively, you may have the better educated and working votes that would quite often be too busy to make it to the polls. My assumption is undereducated and underemployed. people would have plenty of time to vote. That's how it usually works in the US.
Possibly but not typical in the UK. At the 2010 General Election the highest percentage of voters were in the higher social classes, home owners and in the 55 ish age bracket and the lowest social classes had the smallest turnout.
Consider yourself lucky then

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 7:59 am

Apparently in Tehran they've been playing Braveheart on TV. :)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 8:33 am

Over 90%. Heavens it's hard to imagine anything that would motivate so many Scots to do something. Actually if you consider unemployment, and how the lowest rate possible (i.e. excl those who are unemployable) is c5%, then I wonder if 90% is close to the highest possible turn-out in a voluntary poll?

My UK listed stock holdings are not taking the uncertainty very well. Well, lets just hope we get some form of 'relief rally' this pm, what ever the outcome of the vote... :-|

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 8:38 am

The first results are in. Clackmannanshire results have been declared.
YES 46 %
NO 53 %
Clackmannanshire, the smallest county in Scotland is the first to announce results. Turnout was 88 per cent.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 9:39 am

Steve1960 wrote:Clackmannanshire results have been declared.
Dya wreckon tha mun than neemed thart counteh war peeshed oower jerst huvvin a laerff?

p.s. One side effect of this election, together with there currently being some Brit TV comedy series scripted with a Scottish accent on the BBC, has resulted in my wife routinely trying to speak to me in a Scottish accent. Some of the mangled mash-ups she comes out with are just startling :o hehehe...

edit: formatting
Last edited by JR8 on Fri, 19 Sep 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mexikaner
Regular
Regular

Post by Mexikaner » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 9:52 am

JR8, it seems to me, after reading some of your comments here, that you wouldn't mind Scotland getting its independence.
It makes me wonder how would a different referendum result in which English/Welsh/N.Irish were asked whether 'Yes' or 'No' to keep Scotland as part of UK...
"Lebe deinen Traum"

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:00 am

The turnout percentages are rolling in mostly high 80's and low 90's except for Glasgow at 75%. Shock in the press. Really?

Last night Celtic played in the Europa Cup so I wonder how many went to the pub to get pis*ed and watch the game rather than go to the polling station :wink:

Orkney and Shetland have voted 'No'

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:03 am

Mexikaner wrote:JR8, it seems to me, after reading some of your comments here, that you wouldn't mind Scotland getting its independence.
It makes me wonder how would a different referendum result in which English/Welsh/N.Irish were asked whether 'Yes' or 'No' to keep Scotland as part of UK...
I'm of the school of 'If it ain't broke don't fix it', tempered with 'But if you insist on doing so, then you deserve the result that you invite'.

So for historic etc reasons I hope they vote No. Alex Salmond seems like a right weasel though, and if they wish to follow in the thrall of this 'Pied Piper of McClackmannanshire' or wherever, then that is their decision. What do they say about giving a Scot enough rope?

The Welsh and N. Irish aren't fool enough to vote to leave the UK. And after all the chest-beating from north of the border is done with, I doubt the Scots are either.

p.s. Edit to add: I was interested to see that the coin in your avatar is inscribed with [translated]: United States of Mexico. I've never heard of it referred to it in that way before. Until when were they disunited?

Mexikaner
Regular
Regular

Post by Mexikaner » Fri, 19 Sep 2014 10:38 am

JR8 wrote: p.s. Edit to add: I was interested to see that the coin in your avatar is inscribed with [translated]: United States of Mexico. I've never heard of it referred to it in that way before. Until when were they disunited?
'Estados Unidos Mexicanos' or 'United Mexican States' is just the official name of the country. 'Mexico' is just the common name, just like 'America' to the official 'United States of America'.
Funny thing, our last President, Felipe Calderon, pushed for a reform to the Constitution, to make 'Mexico' the official name of the country. He did not succeed...
"Lebe deinen Traum"