Singapore Expats

WHICH IMMIGRATION SCHEME IS GOOD OPTION FOR ME?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
SingaporeWannabe34

WHICH IMMIGRATION SCHEME IS GOOD OPTION FOR ME?

Post by SingaporeWannabe34 » Tue, 09 Sep 2014 10:57 pm

Hello ALL,

I am very new to this forum and I thank you for your time in advance. I have been thinking about immigrating to Singapore from Canada.

I have been in the Information Technology field for years and I have a university degree in computers. I am currently full time employeed with a well known software company in Canada.

And I would like to immigrate to Singapore as an independent immigrant. I do not have a job offer from a Singapore company.

There used to be a immigrate schema where all you need have a university degree and processional experience in your field. Singapore government will issue a visa without a job offer, you move to Singapore and find a job that time. if you can find a job, you could stay and apply for PR.

I have not been able to see such scheme/class anymore? Is this not being offered anymore?

Under above circumstances, which would be the best scheme/class for me to apply for immigration and come to Singapore without a job offer and find work in Singapore and apply for PR ?

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: WHICH IMMIGRATION SCHEME IS GOOD OPTION FOR ME?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 09 Sep 2014 11:31 pm

SingaporeWannabe34 wrote:Hello ALL,

I am very new to this forum and I thank you for your time in advance. I have been thinking about immigrating to Singapore from Canada.

I have been in the Information Technology field for years and I have a university degree in computers. I am currently full time employeed with a well known software company in Canada.

And I would like to immigrate to Singapore as an independent immigrant. I do not have a job offer from a Singapore company.

There used to be a immigrate schema where all you need have a university degree and processional experience in your field. Singapore government will issue a visa without a job offer, you move to Singapore and find a job that time. if you can find a job, you could stay and apply for PR.

I have not been able to see such scheme/class anymore? Is this not being offered anymore?

Under above circumstances, which would be the best scheme/class for me to apply for immigration and come to Singapore without a job offer and find work in Singapore and apply for PR ?

Thanks!
The EPEC (Employment Pass Elgibility Certificate) that would give you up to 1 year LTVP in order to secure a position in Singapore is no more. It was consigned to the annals of history around January 2013. The other measure was to buy your way in but that has also been dismantled or raised so high as to make it unpalatable (somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15,000,000 of business investments (Not personal housing).

So. You only option now is to apply for a PEP (Personal Employment Pass) which will mean you need to be able to prove basic income for the last 6 months in excess of SGD 18K/mo. Then you might get in without a job (but you only get 6 months to find a job and you still need to show earning for the year of a minimum of, I believe, 144K/pa.

Or. you need to find a job before arriving here, or come in on a 90 standard SVP (Social Visit Pass) I think 90 days is available to Canadian like the US. As you are coming from the west, the likelihood of finding something that will pay remotely near what you are currently earning will be virtually zero as you will be competing with Indians/Chinese/Fillipinos for the same positions but they will work for half you asking salary in all probability. But Good Luck. You are going to need it in copious quantities.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 3:13 am

Seriously stay in Canada or look for greener fields in the USA. For IT prof Singapore is not a happy place.

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:11 pm

What can you do that an Indian can't do cheaper?

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:25 pm

IT jobs are moving out of Singapore to cheaper locations - Philippines, India, China, Malaysia. 7-8 years ago yours would have been a good idea, but those times are over.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 2:26 pm

SingaporeWannabe34 wrote: I have a university degree in computers.

!
What is one of these when its at home?

:o :o :o :o
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 2:34 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:What can you do that an Indian can't do cheaper?
He is probably an Indian/Asian himself, living in Canada or he is from Quebec.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 3:20 pm

Why would living in Quebec make a difference?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 9:30 pm

Quebec is French. From his post, he doesn't sound like a native English speaker.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:40 pm

Again, why would that matter? Just because a person lives in Quebec, it doesn't mean they're Frogs. It just means they probably can speak French as well as English.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:45 pm

He got courage. Not many would dare to type the thread title with the capslock on for the post explaining the poster was an IT degree holder.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:48 pm

You get what you pay for, and some companies will pay more for better talent.

SingaporeWannabe34

Post by SingaporeWannabe34 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 6:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Thanks!
The EPEC (Employment Pass Elgibility Certificate) that would give you up to 1 year LTVP in order to secure a position in Singapore is no more. It was consigned to the annals of history around January 2013. The other measure was to buy your way in but that has also been dismantled or raised so high as to make it unpalatable (somewhere in the neighbourhood of 15,000,000 of business investments (Not personal housing).

So. You only option now is to apply for a PEP (Personal Employment Pass) which will mean you need to be able to prove basic income for the last 6 months in excess of SGD 18K/mo. Then you might get in without a job (but you only get 6 months to find a job and you still need to show earning for the year of a minimum of, I believe, 144K/pa.

Or. you need to find a job before arriving here, or come in on a 90 standard SVP (Social Visit Pass) I think 90 days is available to Canadian like the US. As you are coming from the west, the likelihood of finding something that will pay remotely near what you are currently earning will be virtually zero as you will be competing with Indians/Chinese/Fillipinos for the same positions but they will work for half you asking salary in all probability. But Good Luck. You are going to need it in copious quantities.
Thank you sundaymorningstaple for your input. Is there any SG government link where I can read more about the information you provided?

I do not think I will have a hard time to find a job related to what I do here but I do have doubts when it comes to 144K/pa.

Things are not really that great in Canada. We do have a lot of taxes and not enough service offered by the government.

PS: I am ignoring the people above.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 7:09 am

SingaporeWannabe34 wrote:PS: I am ignoring the people above.
You shouldn't ignore the people above. I ran an IT infrastructure project management company for 8 years. Things have changed drastically.

You are naive. What is a "university degree in computers"? Surely you know the field is far more stratified than that? Is your degree in MIS? Process control? Chip design? Computer science?

I got out of Singapore because the business model changed. Jobs are moving away from Singapore at an increasing rate. They are either being outsourced to lower cost countries (especially the services side of IT), or they are being virtualized into countries (the last company I contracted to moved all of its SAP development services to Brazil).

There are probably a few niche areas that will remain in demand, security being one of them. Be aware that the top level functions are leaving as well as MNC's consolidate their workforces through global PMO's and their infrastructure through increasingly sophisticated facilities and remote access. At most, regional guys these days tend to be the "gophers" for the PMO directives.

I had a great run in Singapore when I was there. There's not a chance in hell I'd try it again under the current circumstances and changed business models.

Will you be satisfied with S$7 or 8K a month? That's the best you are going to be able to generate.

If you really want to get into Asia, look at opportunities in Malaysia, the Philippines, or even Vietnam. Singapore will kill you with high costs, the companies will pay you shit based upon the willingness of others to take shit, and the government, IF they grant you a work permit, will give you no sense of stability at all.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 8:16 am

SingaporeWannabe34 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you sundaymorningstaple for your input. Is there any SG government link where I can read more about the information you provided?

I do not think I will have a hard time to find a job related to what I do here but I do have doubts when it comes to 144K/pa.

Things are not really that great in Canada. We do have a lot of taxes and not enough service offered by the government.

PS: I am ignoring the people above.
Ignore the people at your own peril. A lot of us have been on the ground here for a long, long time and have weathered the changes, or not.

For EPEC

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... ation.aspx

For PEP

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

For EntrePass

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

For Financial Investor's Scheme / GIP Global Investor's Program

http://tinyurl.com/m2oq6k6