Singapore Expats Forum

Caste Systems, Segregation and Subjugation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 8:17 am

zzm9980 wrote:i no rite ?! he cud hav gon 2 wikipeedia and red wat e vikings posted lulz


:lol:

User avatar
proxymoron
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat, 15 Oct 2011

Postby proxymoron » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 9:35 am

zzm9980 wrote:
proxymoron wrote:
JR8 wrote:An American Indian woman may have been the first native American to set foot on European soil, brought to Iceland by the Vikings

Sounds strange to me. So what did the Christopher Colombus really do? He could have got all the info from Vikings.


i no rite ?! he cud hav gon 2 wikipeedia and red wat e vikings posted lulz


:D :D I will give you that. My bad.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

User avatar
proxymoron
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat, 15 Oct 2011

Postby proxymoron » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 10:22 am

JR8 wrote:
JR8 wrote:Where is the culture of Australopithecus?

proxymoron wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Andamanese_people
Those (or similar ones) are still out there my friend.

A foolish statement


^^ This is being a really intelligent argument right there, I would request you elaborate on that why it is foolish.

JR8 wrote:It is self-evident that you have not been, as if you had you would be unlikely to claim that which you are. Your statements rely upon being 'pretty sure', but that's not enough to be factually correct.


I must say that this argument sounds better than your previous one. Once again I will have to ask to you tell me what you believe is 'factually right' about South America. Is it still the land of Incas and Aztec people? And the list of Spanish origin names showing up in list of famous South Americans are just a minority?

Let me add Philippines also to the argument. I have been there many times, so this is not about being pretty sure about it. Any cultural traits and practices before colonization were totally destroyed. Would you claim that too is factually incorrect?
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

User avatar
proxymoron
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat, 15 Oct 2011

Postby proxymoron » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:00 am

x9200 wrote:Ukrainians were targeted because of the reasons of nationalism (as seen by the Soviet Union). So the reason was to wipe out the nation that was not happy under the Soviet ruling and may interfere with it. If this was a different SU nation with different ethnic groups this genocide might have happened too.
Holocaust had no pragmatic reasons. It happened just because the Nazis believed the Jews were the race that competed directly with the Aryan uber race. It was pure race based extermination.


Arent Ukranians and Russians different ethnic groups?, there is a war going on right now just for this reason. And I would say that the pragmatic reason was racism. Can you see any other pragmatic reason for slavery?.

Did the world war 2 really happened because of Hitler's Aryan uber-race theory? or his plans for "World Domination" as someone earlier said?. Or is because of the greediness of Allies while making Treaty of Versailles and making Germany pay for the damages in WorldWar1. Holocaust happened during the wartime in a certain Germany which was forced to pay for the damages. Cant it also be like the Ukranians, that Jews were targeted because they might interfere with the nationalism of ethnic germans?
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:01 am

proxymoron wrote:^^ This is being a really intelligent argument right there, I would request you elaborate on that why it is foolish.


You suggested the inhabitants of the Andaman Islands are Australopithecus, rather than Homo sapians (in their modern form). It makes as little sense as suggesting Australian aborigines are in fact Neanderthals.



JR8 wrote:It is self-evident that you have not been, as if you had you would be unlikely to claim that which you are. Your statements rely upon being 'pretty sure', but that's not enough to be factually correct.

proxymoron wrote:I must say that this argument sounds better than your previous one. Once again I will have to ask to you tell me what you believe is 'factually right' about South America. Is it still the land of Incas and Aztec people?



About as useful as me asking if Ancestral Northern Indians still exist. Answer: no, but their genes have been carried down the generations to where we are now. But your claim was S. American people's in their original form (pre-Conquistador) no longer exist and that's just silly. Example: http://www.travel-images.com/photo/photo-peru176.html


proxymoron wrote:Let me add Philippines also to the argument. I have been there many times, so this is not about being pretty sure about it. Any cultural traits and practices before colonization were totally destroyed. Would you claim that too is factually incorrect?


Haven't a clue, and it's off-topic.

p.s. as for your follow-on to X9... I simply give up.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9166
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:02 pm

proxymoron wrote:
x9200 wrote:Ukrainians were targeted because of the reasons of nationalism (as seen by the Soviet Union). So the reason was to wipe out the nation that was not happy under the Soviet ruling and may interfere with it. If this was a different SU nation with different ethnic groups this genocide might have happened too.
Holocaust had no pragmatic reasons. It happened just because the Nazis believed the Jews were the race that competed directly with the Aryan uber race. It was pure race based extermination.


Arent Ukranians and Russians different ethnic groups?, there is a war going on right now just for this reason. And I would say that the pragmatic reason was racism. Can you see any other pragmatic reason for slavery?.


We are of two different races so for any conflict situation it simply can not be any other reason but the racism. Right. BTW, do you have a maid?

proxymoron wrote:Holocaust happened during the wartime in a certain Germany which was forced to pay for the damages. Cant it also be like the Ukranians, that Jews were targeted because they might interfere with the nationalism of ethnic germans?


How about you read what Wikipedia has to say about the Holocaust?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9288
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 7:11 pm

proxymoron wrote:But I will have argue against showing up Jews as the only victim. May be it is 'sociological phenomena' said earlier by x9200. For me, Jews were not the only ones whose culture was wiped out. Whole South America had their culture wiped out by European conquistadors. Same happened here closer to home, to Philippines.?


Philippines ?

really ?

mmm, you dont know much about Philippines, Filipino culture and stuff

they have more Chinese influence, apart from native cultural practices most of which is intact, and little of any of their colonial master's influence, if you meant driving American cars, or being hooked to Western Music, or dressing American or strongly following basket ball.

Philippines economy may have gone to dogs because of the colonial masters, and their subsequent interferences, but sir, they culture was little destroyed

User avatar
proxymoron
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat, 15 Oct 2011

Postby proxymoron » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 10:54 am

x9200 wrote:We are of two different races so for any conflict situation it simply can not be any other reason but the racism. Right. BTW, do you have a maid?

:? :?
No sir, I dont.

x9200 wrote:How about you read what Wikipedia has to say about the Holocaust?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Holocaust


I am not in denial of Holocaust. Anti-semitism have a history of its own. Jews were the "flavour" or early 20th century and were being killed elsewhere as well (Eg:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogrom) around the time. What I am against is that the Jews are made to play victims even 60years after the event. Any comparison of other atrocities with Holocaust results spontaneous reactions (like the "Speechless" comment by JR8) from a portion of western people.

Sharing an article which is of the similar lines .

Holocaust makes Israelis think International law doesnt apply to them.
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/th ... 554?page=2
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:06 am

You're Indian FFS, what is your problem with Jews? :???:

User avatar
proxymoron
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat, 15 Oct 2011

Postby proxymoron » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:08 am

ecureilx wrote:
Philippines ?

really ?

mmm, you dont know much about Philippines, Filipino culture and stuff

they have more Chinese influence, apart from native cultural practices most of which is intact, and little of any of their colonial master's influence, if you meant driving American cars, or being hooked to Western Music, or dressing American or strongly following basket ball.

Philippines economy may have gone to dogs because of the colonial masters, and their subsequent interferences, but sir, they culture was little destroyed


I have bee there a number of times, also have many Filipino friends. My wife and daughter are Filipinos, which makes me visit there at least time and again.

There was a pre-hispanic Philippines rich with beliefs and traditions. The current nation rub Bishops is a far cry from that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_mythology
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:21 am

JR8 wrote:You're Indian FFS, what is your problem with Jews? :???:


Image
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
proxymoron
Regular
Regular
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat, 15 Oct 2011

Postby proxymoron » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:52 am

JR8 wrote:You're Indian FFS, what is your problem with Jews? :???:


:lol: :lol:
I am a German football fan
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9288
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:47 pm

proxymoron wrote:I have bee there a number of times, also have many Filipino friends. My wife and daughter are Filipinos, which makes me visit there at least time and again.

There was a pre-hispanic Philippines rich with beliefs and traditions. The current nation rub Bishops is a far cry from that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_mythology


and if you believe the church and all have destroyed their culture, I suggest you venture a bit out of the cities and go visit some rural places ...

the further from the city, the better you will understand that not much changed, despite the colonial masters attempts, re culture !!!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 2:12 pm

proxymoron wrote:
JR8 wrote:You're Indian FFS, what is your problem with Jews? :???:


:lol: :lol:
I am a German football fan


The irony is you aren't German, and even if you are a fan of their football team, if you attended a match there they'd very likely scalp you alive...

Image

[notice summing?]


That you find anti-Semitism amusing speaks for itself.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 11 Sep 2014 2:24 pm

ecureilx wrote:
proxymoron wrote:But I will have argue against showing up Jews as the only victim. May be it is 'sociological phenomena' said earlier by x9200. For me, Jews were not the only ones whose culture was wiped out. Whole South America had their culture wiped out by European conquistadors. Same happened here closer to home, to Philippines.?


Philippines ?

really ?

mmm, you dont know much about Philippines, Filipino culture and stuff

they have more Chinese influence, apart from native cultural practices most of which is intact, and little of any of their colonial master's influence, if you meant driving American cars, or being hooked to Western Music, or dressing American or strongly following basket ball.

Philippines economy may have gone to dogs because of the colonial masters, and their subsequent interferences, but sir, they culture was little destroyed


Spanish names.
Spanish accent when they speak English(I like the way they pronouce January as "Janwary" :) )
European food habits; read pork knuckles. Imagine if not for the Spanish, they might all be muslims halal and no touching pork.

Portuguese also had a similar transformation over Goa. Read: carnival just like in Brazil, pork, alcohol and partying.

Somehow the British couldnt/didnt do the same transformation.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest