Singapore Expats Forum

Caste Systems, Segregation and Subjugation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 11:48 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:it's some how demeaning to many Indians, that they treat it on the same level as the Dharavi slum.


Extreme wealth disparity + new money > snobbery


I think you mean wealth disparity + new money = snobbery


I meant > as 'tends to lead to', thinking '=' a bit too 100%.


Same kind of conclusion though, yes.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 11:55 am

midlet2013 wrote:Noone said there is no caste system or other nonsensical practices abroad. People, even educated ones can be narrow minded . Even in the west so lets not talk about singapore or UAE.


Wow, in debating terms, that's an attempt at making a dismissive relativist 'You can't criticise A, as you're guilty of A+B too!'. It doesn't suggest a solid position or argument having to clutch at such weak straws.

I didn't get your point re: 'the West'. Are you saying that some people in the west, generally speaking, can be narrow-minded so for the Sub-continent to have a caste system is perfectly ok?

:???:

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013

Postby midlet2013 » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 12:21 pm

When I meant people in the west, I meant Indian migrants in the west, not westerners. Altho westerners may have and do have their own issues and prejudices.

If you think bringing India's shortcomings in any discussion is okay, then I guess Singaporeans blaming foreigners for everything and in every discussion is also ok, since some of it is true.

I am myself dissapointed with Indian caste system, the fact that they seem to group together based on region, community, etc.

My only point was why bring unnecessary stuff into the conversation just bcus your comprehension or knowledge is limited.



JR8 wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:Noone said there is no caste system or other nonsensical practices abroad. People, even educated ones can be narrow minded . Even in the west so lets not talk about singapore or UAE.


Wow, in debating terms, that's an attempt at making a dismissive relativist 'You can't criticise A, as you're guilty of A+B too!'. It doesn't suggest a solid position or argument having to clutch at such weak straws.

I didn't get your point re: 'the West'. Are you saying that some people in the west, generally speaking, can be narrow-minded so for the Sub-continent to have a caste system is perfectly ok?

:???:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 12:28 pm

midlet2013 wrote:Noone said there is no caste system or other nonsensical practices abroad. People, even educated ones can be narrow minded . Even in the west so lets not talk about singapore or UAE.

The point was that you brought in caste system into a conversation where it was not needed.

As if you needed to mention the one and only thing u know about india.
]


so enlighten me, i meant there is a caste system ands that extends into a informal ranking system, adding to the place of origin of the person, and tell me that doesn't exist in India?

or, those hindi speakers treat non- Hindi speakers as equal?

I mentioned the caste/class system in response to WD40 implying that Indians in Dubai live in complete harmony, as long as there is a Mini India there.

sorry if that offended you, but me coming from a FC, have no clue on how things work now in Mother Land I guess. maybe you are right, or you ARE Right

maybe my choice of words didn't go well with you.

so if caste is caste, and class / segregation based on nativity is all clearly defined and no blurred lines there, I learnt something new today.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 12:30 pm

midlet2013 wrote:My only point was why bring unnecessary stuff into the conversation just bcus your comprehension or knowledge is limited.


Unnecessary stuff? What was that? And my comprehension/knowledge of what is limited?

Are you suggesting that because you suspect that I'm not Indian, I therefore cannot possibly comprehend that your odoriferous prejudices are in fact purportedly reasonable?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 12:32 pm

Wd40 wrote:.
2)The Simsville/Melville park kind of crowd are more of the North Indian types and recent arrivals from India who dont want to mingle with the locals/south indians. Its very similar to how locals dont want to identify themselves with the PRCs. Same Logic. Except that locals consider themselves superior to PRCs and the recent arrivals from India consider themselves superior to the local Indians. .


I don't know any local Indians who feel superior to Indian Indians, compared to local Chinese vs PRC.

in Indian context.

anyway, PNGMK, got word

those married to SCs and divorced are being given 1 year REP, even with Sc children, from the few other guys I know in similar situation!!

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013

Postby midlet2013 » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 12:35 pm

U got it, thats exactly what I was suggesting :) Finally , u got it.

JR8 wrote:
midlet2013 wrote:My only point was why bring unnecessary stuff into the conversation just bcus your comprehension or knowledge is limited.


Unnecessary stuff? What was that? And my comprehension/knowledge of what is limited?

Are you suggesting that because you suspect that I'm not Indian, I therefore cannot possibly comprehend that your odoriferous prejudices are in fact purportedly reasonable?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 12:39 pm

JR8 wrote:Are you suggesting that because you suspect that I'm not Indian, I therefore cannot possibly comprehend that your odoriferous prejudices are in fact purportedly reasonable?


midlet2013 wrote:U got it, thats exactly what I was suggesting :) Finally , u got it.



Wow, talk about painting yourself black, AND, into a corner.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 1:22 pm

JR8, I think Midlet was talking about Ecurelix when he said, "your comprehension or knowledge is limited" and not yours!

I agree with him, there was no reason to bring caste system into this as it has nothing to do with Indians living in UAE, per se. Also his understanding of caste system seems to be incorrect. Thats what happens when people listen to propaganda.

Now I get it, the propaganda here is that new Indians coming from India consider themselves as superior caste than local Indians. This is bullshit. Its nothing to do with caste, its probably got to do with the North/South divide and the fact that these new arrivals want to preserve their culture, just like those new arrivals of Indians who go to the US, dont want their kids to take up the US culture(read sex before marriage, divorces etc)

Please note, I not saying that, thats my impression of the US culture or that it is wrong. Its what those people whom Ecureilx is stereotyping, think.
Last edited by Wd40 on Thu, 04 Sep 2014 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 1:24 pm

ecureilx wrote:I don't know any local Indians who feel superior to Indian Indians


I used to date a local SC Indian who used to feel that way, once again there was a socio economic strata in place, she didn't feel that way towards certain people but certain others.
like she felt construction workers were below her dignity and then so too were some others who didn't have great jobs or who dressed shabbily etc.
Anyway this relatioship didn't last long but it was for other reasons. :cool:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 1:27 pm

Wd40 wrote: who go to the US, dont want their kids to take up the US culture.


I've always been annoyed by people (of any origin) like that...if you don't want your children to take up your country of residence's culture*, or your children dating/mingling with someone not of their own race when not living in their country, then DON'T MIGRATE or get EXPATRIATED.

*sex before marriage isn't necessarily part of culture--a lot of Americans still (surprisingly) adhere to no premarital sex. And one can adopt a new culture without supplanting another.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 2:38 pm

Wd40 wrote:I agree with him, there was no reason to bring caste system into this as it has nothing to do with Indians living in UAE, per se. Also his understanding of caste system seems to be incorrect. Thats what happens when people listen to propaganda.
.


propaganda?

right, having lived there for 8 years plus having relatives there doesn't matter I guess. and still have memories of Customs confiscating my Parker pens, Hero Fountain Pens, Reynolds Pens, Kraft Cheese and demanding I must give them whatever US $ I had with me, even as low as 10$, as no foreign currency is to be taken out, never mind that I was a child then and travelling as an unaccompanied minor ... (that is not anger but still I am amused how things work in Mother India).

truth be told, when i was having a tiger with Indian Expats recently the issue of rape in India came up. the Expats decided nothing is wrong in Mother Land, it is the News And Media painting the picture badly. now I get it!!! and the rape cases are not that bad etc etc.

Nakatago, and when natives aren't so happy with new immigrants creating their own little communities, or refusing to even try to be local, or segregating themselves, the new migrants loudly wonder what is wrong with the natives.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 2:43 pm

ecureilx wrote:Nakatago, and when natives aren't so happy with new immigrants creating their own little communities, or refusing to even try to be local, or segregating themselves, the new migrants loudly wonder what is wrong with the natives.


Communities are ok; it's when they isolate themselves or close off others is what ticks me.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4849
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 3:48 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:.
SNIP-------------
anyway, PNGMK, got word

those married to SCs and divorced are being given 1 year REP, even with Sc children, from the few other guys I know in similar situation!!


You serious? I guess if the family ties have failed... that makes some sense.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9259
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 3:56 pm

PNGMK wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote:.
SNIP-------------
anyway, PNGMK, got word

those married to SCs and divorced are being given 1 year REP, even with Sc children, from the few other guys I know in similar situation!!


You serious? I guess if the family ties have failed... that makes some sense.


maybe with your REP renewal, write a story about how you need to take care of your kid/kids

the fellows I met aren't into high pay :( :(


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests