Singapore Expats

Caste Systems, Segregation and Subjugation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 4:47 pm

Blimey Guv'nor, I'm reminded of that Monty Python sketch - Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour? :twisted:

For the record, my ROFL moment earlier, in relation to Squirrel's 'Simsville' comment, was because I thought he was talking about this SimsVille:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimsVille

i.e. a reference to WD40's propensity to pontificate about places that he has only visited 'virtually' (e.g. Hong Kong), or at least not lived in.

BTW, I was surprised by this comment:
midlet2013 wrote:I am myself dissapointed with Indian caste system, the fact that they seem to group together based on region, community, etc.
Disappointed? Is that all?
Be careful what you wish for

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 5:43 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Wd40 wrote: I agree with him, there was no reason to bring caste system into this as it has nothing to do with Indians living in UAE, per se. Also his understanding of caste system seems to be incorrect. Thats what happens when people listen to propaganda.
propaganda?

right, having lived there for 8 years plus having relatives there doesn't matter I guess. and still have memories of Customs confiscating my Parker pens, Hero Fountain Pens, Reynolds Pens, Kraft Cheese and demanding I must give them whatever US $ I had with me, even as low as 10$, as no foreign currency is to be taken out, never mind that I was a child then and travelling as an unaccompanied minor ... (that is not anger but still I am amused how things work in Mother India).

What makes you think that is because of caste system? That is known as bribery. They do that to everyone. The fact that you were a child made you an easy target.

truth be told, when i was having a tiger with Indian Expats recently the issue of rape in India came up. the Expats decided nothing is wrong in Mother Land, it is the News And Media painting the picture badly. now I get it!!! and the rape cases are not that bad etc etc.

Again what has this got to do with caste system?Some Indians have extreme pride for their country and they wont let down their country, even its bad practices, in front of foreigners in a foreign country. I also believe that the media both here and in India loves to highlight any shortcomings of India, but not its accomplishments.

Nakatago, and when natives aren't so happy with new immigrants creating their own little communities, or refusing to even try to be local, or segregating themselves, the new migrants loudly wonder what is wrong with the natives.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 7:36 pm

Wd40 wrote:What makes you think that is because of caste system? That is known as bribery. They do that to everyone. The fact that you were a child made you an easy target.
Again what has this got to do with caste system?Some Indians have extreme pride for their country and they wont let down their country, even its bad practices, in front of foreigners in a foreign country. I also believe that the media both here and in India loves to highlight any shortcomings of India, but not its accomplishments.
Now I don't know if I should laugh or cry

I was trying to tell you not to force on me that I don't know India, or I am blinded by 'propaganda' and you are not willing to accept a different view of how YOU see things ..

then you are going defending India, that it is normal to pick on a child ... and there is nothing wrong ... in you urgency to defend your point of view, you seem to justify picking on children, by customs officers !!!!

never mind, you are still missing the forest for the tree

I agree then, you are perfectly right !!!

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 8:09 pm

ecureilx wrote: right, having lived there for 8 years plus having relatives there doesn't matter I guess. and still have memories of Customs confiscating my Parker pens, Hero Fountain Pens, Reynolds Pens, Kraft Cheese and demanding I must give them whatever US $ I had with me

next time i see you I'm confiscating your pens :cool:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 8:18 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
ecureilx wrote: right, having lived there for 8 years plus having relatives there doesn't matter I guess. and still have memories of Customs confiscating my Parker pens, Hero Fountain Pens, Reynolds Pens, Kraft Cheese and demanding I must give them whatever US $ I had with me

next time i see you I'm confiscating your pens :cool:
Try me :P I don't carry any pens anymore ;)

what was funny was, India started making Reynolds Pens those days, but the Customs officers liked the Imported Ones, as they were possibly of better quality !!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 7:07 am

Mi Amigo wrote:BTW, I was surprised by this comment:
midlet2013 wrote:I am myself dissapointed with Indian caste system, the fact that they seem to group together based on region, community, etc.
Surely, it has to be something that warrants a stronger reaction. :?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:49 am

nakatago wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:BTW, I was surprised by this comment:
Surely, it has to be something that warrants a stronger reaction. :?
are you suggesting he adopt an ISIS like hate? you see the caste system has been in existence for hundreds of years, it isn't something that would go away very quickly, it wasn't also easy for a country that was ruled by the British who firstly dismantled the cultural diversity and then adopted a divide and rule policy.
The divide and rule is sadly prevalent everywhere, jobs, education, social life, politics.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:59 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:are you suggesting he adopt an ISIS like hate?.
Topical but too soon. Also note my use of a comparative description instead of a superlative or hyperbolic one.

Safe to say, Mi Amigo and I are just underwhelmed by midlet only being disappointed.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by midlet2013 » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:02 am

I regret the caste system. This is more than what some countries express after invading another country :)
nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:are you suggesting he adopt an ISIS like hate?.
Topical but too soon. Also note my use of a comparative description instead of a superlative or hyperbolic one.

Safe to say, Mi Amigo and I are just underwhelmed by midlet only being disappointed.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:08 am

It verily sounds like the sort who preaches PC platitudes because it is the right thing to do, but secretly embraces it wholly in the depths of his soul so is trying his very best to strike a balance he can deal with. :-k
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:16 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It verily sounds like the sort who preaches PC platitudes because it is the right thing to do, but secretly embraces it wholly in the depths of his soul so is trying his very best to strike a balance he can deal with. :-k
you got a point man!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:49 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:It verily sounds like the sort who preaches PC platitudes because it is the right thing to do, but secretly embraces it wholly in the depths of his soul so is trying his very best to strike a balance he can deal with. :-k
you got a point man!
Sri Sri will be thrilled to see his picture in this discussion!!

Jai Gurudev!!!!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 3:31 pm

Well obviously we can't know for sure what anyone's true feelings are about this just by reading their comments on a forum, but to me it's a bit like someone saying that they 'regret' and are 'disappointed' by the centuries old practice of female genital mutilation - another 'cultural tradition' that has blighted the lives of millions of people over the centuries. These are terms that just don't seem appropriate to that kind of subject matter.

In the same way, to Midlet's other point, my attitude toward those who instigate invasions of other countries on made-up pretexts is much stronger than regret and disappointment.
Be careful what you wish for

proxymoron
Regular
Regular

Post by proxymoron » Sun, 07 Sep 2014 4:53 pm

Mi Amigo wrote: In the same way, to Midlet's other point, my attitude toward those who instigate invasions of other countries on made-up pretexts is much stronger than regret and disappointment.
You are right on it, however Indian Caste System itself is a made-up pretext by certain class to deny basic human rights from almost half of their own countrymen. It is being followed for more than 2 millenia, which would make other atrocities like slave trades, concentration camps and even "invasion for oil" look like new borns (at least in my books).

Caste system also requires stronger emotions than regret and disappointment, which is happening, but rather slowly. On the plus side, within last 100years we managed to abolish things like Sati (killing ones self on the death of husband), child marriage and breast tax. Hoping the next century will be more progressive.
Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 07 Sep 2014 6:28 pm

The bigger the breast the higher the tax? :shock:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers