Singapore Expats

32 yr old single male...location, location, location??

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
AD1982

32 yr old single male...location, location, location??

Post by AD1982 » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 2:54 am

Hi Guys

Subject to employment pass approval I should be moving to Singapore from Australia (originally from UK) next month. I am looking for some advice on which district to live (flatshare) based on the following basic criteria. I haven't included all the items in the criteria template used by others as at this stage I am just looking for advice on location.

Budget: $1600
Private / master bedroom
Commute: 30 mins approx (to Raffles Place)
Close to: Red/Green MRT, pubs/bars/social areas, supermarkets

As a single male that doesn't know anyone in Singapore, the social aspect will be important initially and as such I would prefer 'hustle and bustle' to areas that are quieter from an entertainment perspective. I can be flexible on however so it would be great to hear your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers

life_is_great

Post by life_is_great » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 4:32 pm

Try The Plaza Apartments at Beach Road. Lots of European interns rent rooms there. Google the intern forums in SG. Location is Central and rooms should be in your budget.

waleed123

Post by waleed123 » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 6:58 pm

Your next step would be checking out this website's classifieds. Some landlord/main tenant advertise for a single expat to move into one of the available rooms in the house.

Your budget is definitely enough for ONE room within Orchard. In fact, it is enough to rent a whole condominium for yourself a little bit farther from the city centre.
aliiiii

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 8:02 pm

Waleed, how long have you been in Singapore? Two weeks perchance? Is one of your nicks hassan321?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 9:20 am

waleed123 wrote:Your next step would be checking out this website's classifieds. Some landlord/main tenant advertise for a single expat to move into one of the available rooms in the house.

Your budget is definitely enough for ONE room within Orchard. In fact, it is enough to rent a whole condominium for yourself a little bit farther from the city centre.
Gawd, if you can find me a condominium for $1,600 farther from the city centre, I will give you 120% commission.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:21 pm

waleed123 wrote: Your budget is definitely enough for ONE room within Orchard. In fact, it is enough to rent a whole condominium for yourself a little bit farther from the city centre.
pray! where may I ask is this fabled location far away from the city center?
JB?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:27 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
waleed123 wrote: Your budget is definitely enough for ONE room within Orchard. In fact, it is enough to rent a whole condominium for yourself a little bit farther from the city centre.
JB?
No, no, no... wrong sentence construction... May I know the location of this fabled establishment?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:35 pm

By any typical, regular size country standards, "a little bit farther" could be well into Johor.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 12:41 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
JB?
No, no, no... wrong sentence construction... May I know the location of this fabled establishment?
thanks for the correction, I was trying to figure out how to word it :D
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

MikeJones
Chatter
Chatter
Answers: 1

Post by MikeJones » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 2:15 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: pray! where may I ask is this fabled location far away from the city center?
JB?
thanks for the correction, I was trying to figure out how to word it :D
Well stick commas after the where and the ask and you would have been fine :)

CaptainBullus
Regular
Regular

Post by CaptainBullus » Fri, 10 Oct 2014 10:39 pm

Look around Tiong Bahru, a lot of my single mates hang out around there...

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Re: 32 yr old single , Male...location, location, location??

Post by amarettoSour » Sun, 09 Nov 2014 11:42 pm

River valley and tiong bahru area fits the bill. But for a master bedroom you may have to shell out a bit more ($1800-2000) depending on the condo. Ours is $1600 for master but we got pretty lucky with the landlord.