Singapore Expats Forum

dp holder taking up diploma course, pass renewal question

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

addiegirl

dp holder taking up diploma course, pass renewal question

Postby addiegirl » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 5:52 pm

Hi all.

I am a dp holder and my husband has an s pass. We are in the process of renewing our passes but my husband's manager told him that my dp might not be approved by MOM due to the new criteria.

My question is, I am currently studying part time at a private advertising school here. It's a 2 yr diploma course and I started in may last yr and will be finishing July next year. I signed a contract stating that I will have to pay the school in the event that I will end the contract prematurely (since I am paying monthly). What happens if my dp renewal will be rejected?
The school can't apply for student visa since it's private. Also, if it gets rejected, is there a chance that my dp can be extended, appealed, or approved until I finish school?

Thanks so much for your advice. I tried to look it up but I can't find any related info.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 4:26 pm

Your DP is tied to the sponsoring EP's validity.
Thus if your husband's EP is not renewed, your DP will be gone.
If then you want to stay in Singapore longer than the 30-days SVP that is automatically given on cancellation of your current pass, you will need another visa given for the purpose for which you intend to stay (i.e. EP for employment, Student Pass for learning, etc.).
If you cannot get another such visa, you will have to leave Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 4:52 pm

Beppi, the problem in this case is a little more convoluted. As the Pass Holder is on an S pass, under the new criteria, the spouse will no longer be able to be approved as a DP as the S pass criteria has changed somewhat to preclude this if the salary is below 4K/mo. Apparently, the employer sounds like they are not going to spring for that kind of salary so it is likely that she may lose the DP status.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Passes for family members

S Pass applicants whose fixed monthly salary is at least $4,000 a month may apply for the Dependant's Pass (DP) for their family members. The DP application and supporting documents may be submitted together with the S Pass application or separately.

S Pass holders who earn less than $4,000 per month are not allowed to bring in their dependants, i.e. spouses (legally married) and children.

However, if the children of such S Pass holders wish to study in mainstream public schools in Singapore, they will have to pass the Admission Exercise for International Students (AEIS) or Supplementary Admission Exercise for International Students (S-AEIS). For more information on the tests including registration details and test dates, please visit the Ministry of Education's website.

addiegirl

Postby addiegirl » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 11:07 am

Thanks for your reply guys.

Just to update in case someone finds themselves in a similar situation, the application was submitted last Thursday sept 9 and I checked on the status today and it was approved. :)

I think what they said about those holding dependent's pass prior to the change in 2012 that their dp will not be affected by the new ruling as long as the main pass holder is still working in the same company still holds true at this time. Also, it was approved the first time and we did not need to make an appeal unlike the previous one when his EP was downgraded to Spass.

I asked my school for a letter to certify my enrollment though and sent it with the application for good measure. However I'm not sure if that had any impact whatsoever.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Sep 2014 12:03 pm

Congratulations. Now that you mention it, I do remember when the new pass criteria came out that there was a blurb about those already here on existing passes could remain as long as the S pass holder remained with the same employer. I stand corrected. I'd forgotten about that.