Singapore Expats

Healthy eating at McDonalds

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Healthy eating at McDonalds

Post by Beeroclock » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 10:47 am

Just flicking through Today paper and see a big Health Promotion Board flyer : "Eating healthy is also good for your wallet" , "Check out the great deals on tastier and healthier dining options "

Then turning it over, and lo and behold, one of the vouchers is for $1 off the McNuggets Delight 500 Meal : 6 McNuggets, 5oz corn cup, coca cola light.

Now it's been a long while since I went to McDonalds, but unless something has changed substantially I'm really struggling to comprehend how a SG govt agency has agreed to promote this as a healthy meal choice ! perhaps the corn cup has done the trick and introduced a minimal amount of nutritional value to this concoction ?? :roll:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:03 am

I've not eaten anything from Micky D's or BK since 1992 for the former and 2004 for the latter. I have eaten, on very rare occasions at Subway and twice at Carl Jr's. It's all garbage.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: It's all garbage.
can't agree more! I eat at Macca's compulsorily once every three months to remind myself I shouldn't eat here.
It's usually after a few beers though, and then its a large cheeseburger and fries.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:23 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: It's all garbage.
can't agree more! I eat at Macca's compulsorily once every three months to remind myself I shouldn't eat here.
It's usually after a few beers though, and then its a large cheeseburger and fries.

yeah exactly, I assume this is the general consensus, except apparently in the HPB public relations/marketing department

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:26 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I have eaten, on very rare occasions at Subway .
You can get a pretty good meal there...if you get the right combination.

Choices and quality may very per store, per country. Not affiliated with Subway in any way, shape or form. Some ingredients may cause side effects which include but not limited to allergic reactions, rashes, anaphylactic shock, watering of eyes, swelling, itchiness, general disgust, food tasting like soap, onion breath, belligerence, bloating, sugar rush, insulin spikes, nausea, dizziness, vertigo, firebending, Chituari invasion, zombie apocalypse, diarrhea, vomiting, upset stomach, constipation, mouth dryness, over salivating, horniness, loss of appetite, dandruff or cooties. Subway is not for everyone; if you have any special medical condition or dietary restriction, consult your church leader, dietician, nutritionist or doctor before consumption.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:31 am

I constantly get flyer's in the mailbox, mostly from domino's, pizza hut, KFC, all of them constantly shoving buckets of fried chicken, cheesy dripping fried stuff and then top it up with 2 liter of some chrysanthemum tea or some pokka juice or something like that in your face.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:36 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote: then top it up with 2 liter of some chrysanthemum tea or some pokka juice or something like that in your face.
You mean sugar water? (Coke is sugar water with phosphoric acid).

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:51 am

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: then top it up with 2 liter of some chrysanthemum tea or some pokka juice or something like that in your face.
You mean sugar water? (Coke is sugar water with phosphoric acid).
sweetened Jasmine tea, its seems like the Singaporean equivalent of having a burger and a diet coke. Burger and Jasmine tea lah

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Healthy eating at McDonalds

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 11:54 am

Beeroclock wrote: Then turning it over, and lo and behold, one of the vouchers is for $1 off the McNuggets Delight 500 Meal : 6 McNuggets, 5oz corn cup, coca cola light.
:
I guess vs other local unhealthy options maybe Mac is a bit better :twisted:

or the Coke Light sealed the deal :eek:

btw, if it was the nuggets, I think the scientists in HPB have to get their brain scanned. it has not much good/ healthy meat there ...

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:27 pm

We go once or twice a month as a treat for our daughter. She will not eat the burger or nuggets, only the fries but of course loves the happy meal toys. We have a home full of the useless pieces of plastic!

My biggest criticism of McDonalds is the cost cutting. Remember when this used to be about fast food?

In busy Toa Payoh on a Saturday lunch time only two of the four tills are manned and the queues are horrendous. I easily have to wait 20 minutes just to get served and then another 5 to 10 minutes waiting for the food.

If it wasn't for our daughter I would never step foot inside one again.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:42 pm

Steve1960 wrote:We go once or twice a month as a treat for our daughter. She will not eat the burger or nuggets, only the fries but of course loves the happy meal toys. We have a home full of the useless pieces of plastic!

My biggest criticism of McDonalds is the cost cutting. Remember when this used to be about fast food?

In busy Toa Payoh on a Saturday lunch time only two of the four tills are manned and the queues are horrendous. I easily have to wait 20 minutes just to get served and then another 5 to 10 minutes waiting for the food.

If it wasn't for our daughter I would never step foot inside one again.
Perhaps it's not so much about cost cutting but just not being able to get staff? Not enough foreigners here anymore. :wink:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:47 pm

bgd wrote:Perhaps it's not so much about cost cutting but just not being able to get staff? Not enough foreigners here anymore. :wink:
Good one. =D>

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 12:55 pm

bgd wrote: Perhaps it's not so much about cost cutting but just not being able to get staff? Not enough foreigners here anymore. :wink:
MacDonald has strict service standards

the slip in standards, as you, is because a lot of local franchisees took advantage of cheap foreign labour over local school students and old folks, and the Foreigners willing work over time and happy to give cash-back, who want to loose earning extra money from the worker?

now the screw is being tightened and reality kicks in

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 2:06 pm

McDonalds is rubbish - everything inside there.

But kids love it bcuz of toys that come with happy meals. That is how it screws up people's health from early childhood!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Re: Healthy eating at McDonalds

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 2:37 pm

Beeroclock wrote:Just flicking through Today paper and see a big Health Promotion Board flyer : "Eating healthy is also good for your wallet" , "Check out the great deals on tastier and healthier dining options "

Then turning it over, and lo and behold, one of the vouchers is for $1 off the McNuggets Delight 500 Meal : 6 McNuggets, 5oz corn cup, coca cola light.
But, are you sure the HPB ad and the McD ads are related? You mentioned it is on Today newspaper and you had to flip the page to see the McD ad, which implies, the 2 ads could be independent?

I flipped through the entire Today newspaper, online print edition and couldnt find the ad you are talking about.