Singapore Expats

21 year old male - where do I live?!

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 05 Sep 2014 8:17 pm

Looks a bit suspicious even for Geylang which is what JR8 said. $2900 in this area for a small penthouse apartment may not be impossible but better be careful.

...but I can see something about a flatmate below...

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 9:08 am

I saw the ad, still looks okay to me, but be warned on the size of the actual unit....

I'd say you should at least take a look at the place. Seemed pretty sweet with the Jacuzzi and all.

What did strike me as odd was the "No couples allowed"...I assume she was renting it with her boyfriend/husband?

Oh, and there are also "no pets allowed". That's the unfortunate part if you'd like to get a dog...
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 9:29 am

Seems believable for that area. "No Couples" probably means the LL doesn't want you bringing your hookers home.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 08 Sep 2014 10:02 am

zzm9980 wrote:Seems believable for that area. "No Couples" probably means the LL doesn't want you bringing your hookers home.
they don't want pets either, I guess they disapprove doggy style.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

benjiiiiii

Post by benjiiiiii » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 5:09 am

Thanks all :) Without a doubt, that property is definitely a no-go. I think either way, I will prefer to go with an agency just for piece of mind.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 8:14 am

I still would recommend you to look out for more places from the site I gave you or from other sites instead of relying to an agent to find it for you.

But of course, it's a bit difficult since you're not in Singapore just yet.

The good practice would be for you to stay in a hotel/hostel on the first month for you to find your place, and when you're finally here in SG you can visit those places that you've seen. Good luck, man!
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 9:40 am

benjiiiiii wrote:Not sure if this will paste;

http://www...com.sg/Listings/Have/Preview/H140720214349762?accessorListingCode=L1409048532644

The things that struck me as off:
Photo of owner looks ~~~
Phone number on account didnt match whatsapp number she asked me to message
Price

Ah, ok. I think I will just avoid then :)
I did a google on Lorong 39 Geylang and come across an advertisement on a condominium. Having the same photo and asking $3k.

Out of curiously, I went on
https://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateIIWeb/ ... rch.action

The last rental transaction
D'WEAVE LORONG 39 GEYLANG 14 Non-landed Properties 2 2,850 500 to 600 Jun-14

You can use this search to get a feel, whether is the property owner asking for market price or sky-high price.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 2:22 pm

therat wrote:
benjiiiiii wrote:Not sure if this will paste;

http://www...com.sg/Listings/Have/Preview/H140720214349762?accessorListingCode=L1409048532644

The things that struck me as off:
Photo of owner looks ~~~
Phone number on account didnt match whatsapp number she asked me to message
Price

Ah, ok. I think I will just avoid then :)
I did a google on Lorong 39 Geylang and come across an advertisement on a condominium. Having the same photo and asking $3k.

Out of curiously, I went on
https://www.ura.gov.sg/realEstateIIWeb/ ... rch.action

The last rental transaction
D'WEAVE LORONG 39 GEYLANG 14 Non-landed Properties 2 2,850 500 to 600 Jun-14

You can use this search to get a feel, whether is the property owner asking for market price or sky-high price.
D'Weave , thats brilliant ......... not quite as good as D'Nest but not bad.

What was the thinking with putting D' in front of random words?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Sep 2014 6:16 pm

Barnsley wrote: D'Weave , thats brilliant ......... not quite as good as D'Nest but not bad.

What was the thinking with putting D' in front of random words?

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic100338.html

There was another topic with all the D' and L'condo names. Some of them are most amusing. D'Crib is one of the more extreme ones as I recall.

What was the thinking? Come on, can't get classier than live in a place like that right?

benjiiiiii

Post by benjiiiiii » Sat, 13 Sep 2014 3:33 am

Hi all

I've just been told that if my rent is under SGD$4k I will be expected to pay the agents fee (a full month of rent). Is there any truth to this as a regular, generally accepted practice?

Many thanks

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 13 Sep 2014 5:27 am

benjiiiiii wrote:Hi all

I've just been told that if my rent is under SGD$4k I will be expected to pay the agents fee (a full month of rent). Is there any truth to this as a regular, generally accepted practice?

Many thanks
Agents like to advertise it as a generally accepted practice. And I've always heard the amount at $3k.

That said, if you did not engage your own agent to help you find the unit, you should not need to pay it.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 13 Sep 2014 11:15 am

I've just been told that if my rent is under SGD$4k I will be expected to pay the agents fee (a full month of rent). Is there any truth to this as a regular, generally accepted practice? Many thanks

----------------
1. If one of our salespersons act and collect a fee from the tenant/buyer, can another one of our salespersons act and collect a fee from the landlord/seller?
If the salesperson collects a fee from the tenant/buyer and also collects part of the fee from the landlord/seller, it will be a case of dual representation and is an offence under the Act.

However, if the landlord/seller is represented by another salesperson, it will not be considered dual representation if neither of the two salespersons collect/share commission from both landlord/seller as well as tenant/buyer, even if the two salespersons are from the same estate agent.

If the tenant’s/buyer’s salesperson and the landlord’s/seller’s salesperson are from the same estate agent, they are required to declare this fact in writing to their respective clients and obtain their client’s consent to continue to act for the client. Further, if either salesperson is collecting an overriding fee from the other salesperson’s commission, this must also be disclosed in writing by the receiving salesperson to his client as a potential conflict of interest.
----------------

http://www.ifaq.gov.sg/CEA/apps/fcd_faq ... #FAQ_42476

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 5:09 pm

Many thanks
This, with the threshold at S$2500 or so, used to be common practice until the new Estate Agent Act came into force about three years ago, which made this illegal (but many agents still try their luck - they have a well-deserved reputation for dishonesty!).
Now, by law, the agent fee is paid by the one who engaged the agent - and in most cases this is the landlord who asks them to find a tenant. Only if you specifically engage an agent to search for a place for you, do you have to pay. Be careful: Most agents will try to trick you into such an arrangement, e.g. by posting ads of property that doesn't even exist (now probably the majority of ads you see) and when you call them saying "This one is already gone, but should I look out for similar places for you?"

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 5:16 pm

^ +1
Beppi is quite right, beware.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 14 Sep 2014 11:22 pm

JR8 wrote:^ +1
Beppi is quite right, beware.
And the other trick that's been posted about recently is the Landlord's agent requiring you to use an agent of your own "to avoid a conflict of interests", and "oh hey, you didn't bring one? I have my buddy right here!"