Singapore Expats Forum

... and some good news for Singapore

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director

... and some good news for Singapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 2:43 pm

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 3:52 pm

I read somewhere that the "pro-democracy" stuff going on in Hong Kong would be a boon for Singapore also ....

The good news keeps on coming doesnt it :cool:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 4:44 pm

Barnsley wrote:I read somewhere that the "pro-democracy" stuff going on in Hong Kong would be a boon for Singapore also ....

The good news keeps on coming doesnt it :cool:

In a twisted way I am hoping it does what it says it will do.......reduce costs in HK to such a level it's a good idea for me to move back.

The problem coming for Singapore is productivity. HK can still do more, with less people whilst the last couple of years here has actually seen the situation get worse, despite the millions of dollars being thrown at business credits to boost efficiency.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 9:01 pm

I'd like to know how that is measured. It just doesn't add up in my book.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Thu, 04 Sep 2014 6:42 am

Strong Eagle wrote:I'd like to know how that is measured. It just doesn't add up in my book.

http://reports.weforum.org/global-compe ... thodology/

It's based on infrastructure in wide meaning of this word (physical, fiscal, economical, educational, ..) so basically it is about the opportunities created by one country for the business to thrive. As far as I can see it has nothing to do with actual working culture and down to the factory floor productiveness.