Singapore Expats

Need Help: Interior Architect Job Application Strategy

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
piyushdabomb

Need Help: Interior Architect Job Application Strategy

Post by piyushdabomb » Sat, 30 Aug 2014 11:58 am

Hi Everyone,

I hope you're doing well. My fiancée, who currently lives in the USA, is planning in moving to Singapore (close to me), but to do that and before we get married, she needs to secure a job in Singapore with an EP on hand.

She has a bachelors in Interior Design and works for a billion dollar interior design firm in DC.

What's the best way to help her find a job here? We've tried direct emailing and we are getting bleak responses at best.

Are there any head hunters who can help?

Please help!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 30 Aug 2014 8:16 pm

Has she got a decent portfolio? Working for a billion dollar firm is of no consequence. It's what "she" has done that matters. Being part of a team is fine for learning the ropes but she has to lead to have a chance here (against the locals who are more in tune with local tastes). How does she submit her portfolio? Is it on line, via CD, Email soft copy. Does it have a eye - catcher? Something that will make the reader want to see the portfolio? Also, at moment, there is probably a surplus as the construction industry is currently stagnating a bit due to the measures foisted on the buying public to slow down or even reverse the housing prices. Not a good time for trying to pitch yourself to a design house or construction firm. Good Luck.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers