Singapore Expats

Accidental Fatal Shooting of Gun Instructor by 9-Year-Old

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Accidental Fatal Shooting of Gun Instructor by 9-Year-Old

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 2:29 pm

http://online.wsj.com/articles/accident ... 1409189384

So they equip kids also with guns in America? :?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 2:42 pm

The place was called Burgers & Guns .... whats not to like?

I cant think what could have possibly gone wrong.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Accidental Fatal Shooting of Gun Instructor by 9-Year-Ol

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 2:46 pm

Wd40 wrote:http://online.wsj.com/articles/accident ... 1409189384

during the Sri Lankan civil war,the tigers were recruiting as young as 12 .. after all, a T56 has so little recoil.

and the idea I understood is to shoot in the general direction :evil: :evil:

then again I don't know about the Uzi in this story

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 7:19 pm

A 9-yr old girl with an Uzi in her hands? There are so many things wrong with that picture I don't't know where to start...

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 7:58 pm

I'm all for 'Freedom to bear arms', and the American concept of power to the people vs the state.

In that context it is interesting to consider the countries where one is banned, or effectively banned from owning or using guns: Quite what are they so afraid about one wonders?

A nine year old and an Uzi?* That's unnecessary IMO, wouldn't trying an air-rifle on gran-pa's back-lawn have been enough? How the supervision, what ever the age, allowed this accident to happen is another thing...

* You can't drink a beer in Arizona until you're 21, but you can legally shoot an Uzi at 9... well, I don't know about that.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:26 pm

JR8 wrote:I'm all for 'Freedom to bear arms', and the American concept of power to the people vs the state.

* You can't drink a beer in Arizona until you're 21, but you can legally shoot an Uzi at 9... well, I don't know about that.
I don't think that concept of power to the people vs the state exists any more. Maybe back in the day of the minutemen and simple rifles this might have been the case, but in today's age the US govt is so powerful and overwhelming that the right to bear arms is almost like being able to buy a water pistol...

The whole beer at 21 thing is hard to explain. Friend of mine was caught a few times by the cops whilst intoxicated and even got sentenced to a day in jail for this. He was over 18.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 10

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:33 pm

aster wrote:I don't think that concept of power to the people vs the state exists any more.
You are really off the mark on this one. There are thousands of people who own literally hundreds of guns, and tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition. They have created safe houses, stocked with MRE's. They believe that the militarization of the police is solid evidence that the government is getting ready to come after them.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:17 am

Yes, every kid in the US has an Uzi just like every Indian male is a rapist. Didn't you know?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 6:46 am

^^This! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 7:04 am

zzm9980 wrote:

Yes, every kid in the US has an Uzi just like every Indian male is a rapist. Didn't you know?
* every Indian male is a rapist
* all US kids get automatic weapons
* all Chinese know kung fu
* all Germans like and drink beer
* every other Filipino is an FMA master
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 9:39 am

aster wrote:I don't think that concept of power to the people vs the state exists any more. Maybe back in the day of the minutemen and simple rifles this might have been the case, but in today's age the US govt is so powerful and overwhelming that the right to bear arms is almost like being able to buy a water pistol...

The whole beer at 21 thing is hard to explain. Friend of mine was caught a few times by the cops whilst intoxicated and even got sentenced to a day in jail for this. He was over 18.
Phhooo! I'd vehemently disagree with that!
Probably as a throwback to independence and the founding of the US, there really is a sense of power to the people there. As a starting point, the Constitution begins - 'We the people'.

I was living over that way when the government of the day were trying to limit rights to the ownership of assault weapons. On the one hand the average man on the street today might consider that a reasonable thing... but doesn't the Constitution stand to protect against today's voguish whims of the average man? One for a separate discussion perhaps :)

Yes the 'beer thing' is pretty strange to us. How to try and explain ... ... If you're European, you most likely don't get the subtlety of the culture changes between US States, never mind regions. 'Mid-West' vs 'East Coast'? [shrug] - No idea. For us it's hard to figure out how America can be so puritanical and 'God fearing' on one hand whilst being so free that utter debauchery is entirely and legally possible. I think the 'beer thing' is embedded in the national psyche. I don't know but I suspect it goes back to 1920s and alcohol prohibition. The mother knows best 'Just say no' culture?

I think I mentioned this before, sometimes it comes out in unusual ways. One time over in Egypt I was at my usual dive club in the Sinai. You spend the day as a group out on a day boat, then at the end of the day you come back, collapse at the cafe area, write your dive log, chat with those you've been out with, look at their pix, hear their stories and so on, oh, and have a few beers!...

Like this ... Image

And here was an American father and son who'd been out with us, and we were about to order a round of drinks. Would the father like one, 'Yes please', the son? The father injected, 'oh [hahaha] he can't he's only 19!'. That was a cultural :o moment. Could already have done a couple of tours in Iraq, but has to observe US state law on holiday half way around the world. But fair enough, it unspokenly but clearly was not a matter up for discussion.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:20 am

It's a genuine tragedy and stupid one. Not one article I've read has mentioned the trauma that 9 year old will suffer.

(I'm not saying the instructor deserved to die but he certainly should have had the gun restrained).

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:30 am

PNGMK wrote: (I'm not saying the instructor deserved to die but he certainly should have had the gun restrained).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D2QrT7yYYE
'Girl shoots 50 cal Desert Eagle'

And that's a semi, and in the hands of an adult.

Totally agree.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:32 am

Poor kid, that's quite a burden to have at that age.

The good news is that gun sales are significantly down in the US. From memory Smith & Wesson are down in the vicinity of 45% compared to the same time last year.

The bad news is that sales are down because Americans have been buying so many guns that the market is saturated. Apparently in the belief that Obama was going to restrict gun ownership.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 11:36 am

bgd wrote:Poor kid, that's quite a burden to have at that age.

The good news is that gun sales are significantly down in the US. From memory Smith & Wesson are down in the vicinity of 45% compared to the same time last year.

The bad news is that sales are down because Americans have been buying so many guns that the market is saturated. Apparently in the belief that Obama was going to restrict gun ownership.
Ironic eh... Obama, with all this (supposed) death and devastation on his hands. Maybe he should have just left the Constitution alone?