Singapore Expats

Eagles Gathering on 12 September - location?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Eagles Gathering on 12 September - location?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 9:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Okay. Next gathering of the EAGLES will be on the 12th of September.

Location needs to be central and reasonable. Open to suggestions.

Sure like to see a gathering like this one!

SMS
Steve1960
martincymru
JR8
nutnut
The Ref
GSM8
rajagainstthemachine
Aster
Addadude
Hannieroo
Sergei82
Beeroclock
BillyB
Grumpy77
Asian_Geekette
Brah
durain
iloverice
Girl_Next_Door
Intellectualsmuse
katbh
morenangpinay
the Lynx
Barnsley
ecureilx
OSOD/PNGMK
Noted Ref and PNGMK!
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Thu, 11 Sep 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Slow response this time. :(
Hey, if you guys can get the tickets organised, I expect SE and I could put in an appearance. :cool:
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:42 pm

Not forgetting ZZM. I hear there are plenty of flights on MH flights and pretty cheap as well.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not forgetting ZZM. I hear there are plenty of flights on MH flights and pretty cheap as well.
MH, sin-mnl, via KL, if you don't mind the transit, was quoted less, much, much less than any budget carrier :eek: :eek:

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 12:13 am

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Not forgetting ZZM. I hear there are plenty of flights on MH flights and pretty cheap as well.
MH, sin-mnl, via KL, if you don't mind the transit, was quoted less, much, much less than any budget carrier :eek: :eek:
SIN-NRT-SIN in 3 weeks going for $450 on MH, and $1250 on SQ

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 12:43 am

Pfft, what are the chances of *three* lost flights in a single year? Almost zero, amirite?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 6:52 am

zzm9980 wrote:

Pfft, what are the chances of *three* lost flights in a single year? Almost zero, amirite?
SHUT UP.

I have a flight coming up and it's code-shared with MH! :o
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 6:58 am

:lol:

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 7:17 am

I should run a script on my phone such that if it detects sudden shifts in altitudes, it would make an emergency call.

Also, a duress button.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 9:17 am

nakatago wrote:I should run a script on my phone such that if it detects sudden shifts in altitudes, it would make an emergency call.

Also, a duress button.
Or deviates off course. You can find the standard course on the airline tracking websites.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 9:22 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
nakatago wrote:I should run a script on my phone such that if it detects sudden shifts in altitudes, it would make an emergency call.

Also, a duress button.
Or deviates off course. You can find the standard course on the airline tracking websites.
Sadly, I don't think phone GPS would work inside an aluminum tube. And I read somewhere that consumer GPS chips are disabled once they reach a certain altitude/speed anyway (to prevent them being used for ICBMs).

:(

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 9:45 am

As an option for different location - due to the prices, I recommend Viet 5 bar on Maxwell road (next to the Red Dot Museum)

Beers are $5 for 330ml and house spirits and mixers are $5 all night. They also have live music and great Vietnamese food.
nutnut

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 12:46 pm

Interesting thought. Maxwell road. Not too far from the Tanjong Pagar MRT correct? That could work.

The Red Dot Museum is the old Police Department (I've not been down there for a number of years now as the MOM department has moved from across the street to their new location now. Interesting as that is where I got my US Driver's license converted way, way back in 1983. The 'Maxwell Chambers' used to be known as The White House and was the home of Foster-Wheeler in Singapore. Old stomping grounds as I worked in IP from around 1988 to around 2004. I see the restaurant is in the the Maxwell Chambers building so that's just opposite the TJP MRT station. Good find!

What kind of selection of beer do they have there?

ZZM, shame you aren't here. Pho restaurant?

Nutnut, how's the food? Any good?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 12:50 pm

I'm inclined to lean that way, as it was Nutnut who also found us Phad Thai which was liked by all at the time. Any others for consideration? location, location, location. MRT or taxi ease of primary concern.

Having said that, I'll have to say that taxi's on Anson Road in front of IP is not easy late at night/early in the morning (unless things have changed considerably).

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 12:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ZZM, shame you aren't here. Pho restaurant?
Although there seemed to be as many pho restaurants in San Jose as in Singapore