Singapore Expats Forum

thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
midlet2013
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed, 13 Nov 2013

Postby midlet2013 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 11:07 am

I dont agree with your summary. It shows bias regarding India.

While I dont agree with WD40 in regards to Dubai being a better choice than Singapore for Indians, I guess what he meant is that Indians have a sufficient ecosystem there. And even if locals dont want to have anything to do with them, they actually do not need locals to live there life since all that they need like schools, shop, restaurants are available. So they can manage without integrating with locals who anyways dont want them there.

Most people, at least the educated ones, do not want India's shortcomings to be exported to wherever they live. However, people's attitudes takes time to change.




ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:[]

You're not a PR so your opinion on how it feels to be one is irrelevant.

What you should have said was how you feel being on an EP.


I think WD40 says, if there is a mini-authentic India with their own racial / caste hierarchy and closed to outsiders, including local Indians/Malaysian indians, then "The Indians" will be thrilled to be in Singapore and happy ...

never mind if the locals treat these Indians as second / third class, a-la middle east, as long as the ranking system within the Indian community is intact

and India is the only country that matters... who cares about other nationalities ...

is my summary right?

well, I can't figure out the modern India, insisting on enforcing their way of life on others, as after all the second largest population means they are right, regardless what the others think, but now I understand why my great great grandparents took flight from India :D



PS, I recall the tantrums, some from educated guys, that went flying from India when Maria Sharapova asked who is Sachin :twisted:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 11:47 am

JR8 wrote:My career in SE/NE Asia was based upon an ability to perform such 'reasonably well informed winging it' :)


"What do you do for a living?"
"I reasonably well-informed wing it."

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 11:51 am

midlet2013 wrote:I dont agree with your summary. It shows bias regarding India.

While I dont agree with WD40 in regards to Dubai being a better choice than Singapore for Indians, I guess what he meant is that Indians have a sufficient ecosystem there. And even if locals dont want to have anything to do with them, they actually do not need locals to live there life since all that they need like schools, shop, restaurants are available. So they can manage without integrating with locals who anyways dont want them there.

Most people, at least the educated ones, do not want India's shortcomings to be exported to wherever they live. However, people's attitudes takes time to change.




ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:[]

You're not a PR so your opinion on how it feels to be one is irrelevant.

What you should have said was how you feel being on an EP.


I think WD40 says, if there is a mini-authentic India with their own racial / caste hierarchy and closed to outsiders, including local Indians/Malaysian indians, then "The Indians" will be thrilled to be in Singapore and happy ...

never mind if the locals treat these Indians as second / third class, a-la middle east, as long as the ranking system within the Indian community is intact

and India is the only country that matters... who cares about other nationalities ...

is my summary right?

well, I can't figure out the modern India, insisting on enforcing their way of life on others, as after all the second largest population means they are right, regardless what the others think, but now I understand why my great great grandparents took flight from India :D



PS, I recall the tantrums, some from educated guys, that went flying from India when Maria Sharapova asked who is Sachin :twisted:


Yeah, I wonder why Ecureilx, brought up the caste system. May be because I mentioned Tamils, Malayalees and Gujarati communities. :???:

Ecureilx, caste system and communities are different things. I thought atleast you should know it better. India is like a continent like Europe and each state is like a European country. Its like Tamils are Germans and Malayalees are French. What has this got to do with the caste system?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 12:11 pm

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:My career in SE/NE Asia was based upon an ability to perform such 'reasonably well informed winging it' :)


"What do you do for a living?"
"I reasonably well-informed wing it."




Hahahaha!
Well what do you call it, I certainly wasn't qualified for what I did...

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 5:04 pm

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:So here we are stuck with people who crave/want managerial posts but are unable to make a simple decision.


If I might. ^ Yes!

p.s. and of course often there is no right or wrong decision, at least in that the right one is not predictable in advance. But it's a case of taking a 'best shot' rather than waiting for someone else to suggest which one to take.

My career in SE/NE Asia was based upon an ability to perform such 'reasonably well informed winging it' :)



Double ^ from me.

I've never understood the "Think outside the box" cliché but the ability to solve problems and, um, wing it is why most of us have ended up out here in engineering and management roles.

The more obvious cliché of "Anybody that doesn't make a mistake is obviously not working" is the rule I stick by. Making a mistake is fine, provided it's not a stupid one, and make sure it's only the same one once. Sometimes the fixing of a mistake is more fun than doing work right the first time, though I know which I prefer. It's my own money on the line so obviously getting it right is important.

If a "right decision" was predictable in advance, we'd all be millionaires living in Sentosa Cove.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 6:11 pm

Finally, one commenter on TRE who seems to have some kind of inkling as to what's going on:

Why MNC leave? wrote:1. Because without the tax incentive, Singapore is too expensive in comparison to other countries. E.g. Taxes in Zug Switzerland only 6%.

2. Because lack of resources. Only 2% unemployed Singaporeans. This is not enough to cover job requirements

3. Because FT bosses no longer feel welcome and feel targeted by local Singaporeans thanks to TRE and TRS type blogss. Nobody wants to be the next Anton Casey.

4. The cost of living is ridiculously high in comparison to almost any other country. Buying property is impossible. Rent is sky high – school fees of 40k per year per child – the car cost the same as the average house in other countries…

In short – because the cost outweigh the benefits. Business is Business

However their conclusion is 'interesting' - I'm not sure whether they're trying to be ironic...

Finally the Pigs are leaving. So what if we become the next Battam. So what if crime rate go up – so what if education go down – so what if we have no job – so what if we have no money … at least we will be free.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 7:22 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:Finally, one commenter on TRE who seems to have some kind of inkling as to what's going on:


Yes, well summarised.

Mi Amigo wrote:However their conclusion is 'interesting' - I'm not sure whether they're trying to be ironic...


Just a liiiiiiiiitle! :lol:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 8:03 pm

JR8 wrote:
Mi Amigo wrote:Finally, one commenter on TRE who seems to have some kind of inkling as to what's going on:


Yes, well summarised.

Mi Amigo wrote:However their conclusion is 'interesting' - I'm not sure whether they're trying to be ironic...


Just a liiiiiiiiitle! :lol:


Whoever it was, must have had an overseas education then. Most don't have a clue as to what is Irony or Satire and/or cannot tell the difference between a hoax and satire.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 8:13 pm

Reminds me of when I worked in Tokyo...

I'd crack a joke and they'd have no idea... but then say something like 'Ah Blitish ilonic humours [heeheehee/[hand over mouth]]' - like the apparent illogic itself, regardeless of the content/comment, was funny. :)

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 11:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Whoever it was, must have had an overseas education then. Most don't have a clue as to what is Irony or Satire and/or cannot tell the difference between a hoax and satire.

Well indeed, that was why I wasn't sure whether (despite what they had written earlier) this person actually meant the last part about all us 'pigs' leaving. I'm still not sure, given the irony deficit amongst most Singaporeans.

JR8, I know what you mean about Japan - it's one of my favourite places but I've had similar experiences there, and elsewhere in Asia. It's that moment when you say something ironic or mildly satirical and everyone looks puzzled, then someone says, "Oh, really?" To which one replies, "No, not really, I was just... oh, never mind." :)
Be careful what you wish for

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed, 21 Oct 2009

Postby amarettoSour » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 10:45 am

I'm not sure if this is an indication, but it seems to be easier to get PR these days..

- I got mine in December 2013, after being here for 4 years. Applied in June 2013. I am Indonesian Chinese.
- A friend of mine got approved in Feb 2014 and applied June 2013. Graduated from local uni. Indian race.
- My sister who moved to SG on Feb 2014, applied in May 2014, got hers approved this past August 2014. She is also indo chinese.
- Another friend of mine moved to SG bout 2 years ago, applied in April 2014 and just got his approval yesterday (September 2014). American.

The only common thing is that we're all under 30 and all with approved 4-year university degrees (my sister also has an MBA from a very good b-school)

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5757
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 1:29 pm

amarettoSour wrote:I'm not sure if this is an indication, but it seems to be easier to get PR these days..

- I got mine in December 2013, after being here for 4 years. Applied in June 2013. I am Indonesian Chinese.
- A friend of mine got approved in Feb 2014 and applied June 2013. Graduated from local uni. Indian race.
- My sister who moved to SG on Feb 2014, applied in May 2014, got hers approved this past August 2014. She is also indo chinese.
- Another friend of mine moved to SG bout 2 years ago, applied in April 2014 and just got his approval yesterday (September 2014). American.

The only common thing is that we're all under 30 and all with approved 4-year university degrees (my sister also has an MBA from a very good b-school)


That's a pretty solid common denominator in the ICA unpublished points system though.

User avatar
triste
Regular
Regular
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue, 02 Jul 2013

Postby triste » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 5:29 pm

amarettoSour wrote:I'm not sure if this is an indication, but it seems to be easier to get PR these days..

- I got mine in December 2013, after being here for 4 years. Applied in June 2013. I am Indonesian Chinese.
- A friend of mine got approved in Feb 2014 and applied June 2013. Graduated from local uni. Indian race.
- My sister who moved to SG on Feb 2014, applied in May 2014, got hers approved this past August 2014. She is also indo chinese.
- Another friend of mine moved to SG bout 2 years ago, applied in April 2014 and just got his approval yesterday (September 2014). American.

The only common thing is that we're all under 30 and all with approved 4-year university degrees (my sister also has an MBA from a very good b-school)


The more people I see people rejected or approved, the more that age really seems to be the current ticket. Under 30s are the ones getting quick approvals.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5757
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 5:38 pm

triste wrote:
amarettoSour wrote:I'm not sure if this is an indication, but it seems to be easier to get PR these days..

- I got mine in December 2013, after being here for 4 years. Applied in June 2013. I am Indonesian Chinese.
- A friend of mine got approved in Feb 2014 and applied June 2013. Graduated from local uni. Indian race.
- My sister who moved to SG on Feb 2014, applied in May 2014, got hers approved this past August 2014. She is also indo chinese.
- Another friend of mine moved to SG bout 2 years ago, applied in April 2014 and just got his approval yesterday (September 2014). American.

The only common thing is that we're all under 30 and all with approved 4-year university degrees (my sister also has an MBA from a very good b-school)


The more people I see people rejected or approved, the more that age really seems to be the current ticket. Under 30s are the ones getting quick approvals.


For good reason considering Singapore's falling TFR and aging pop'n.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 9:54 pm

JR8 wrote:Reminds me of when I worked in Tokyo...

I'd crack a joke and they'd have no idea... but then say something like 'Ah Blitish ilonic humours [heeheehee/[hand over mouth]]' - like the apparent illogic itself, regardeless of the content/comment, was funny. :)


Off topic... and I was sitting in the Shanghai airport chatting with a fellow about the difficulties of having to use an interpreter in business meetings.

He related a story of giving a talk using an interpreter to a couple dozen Chinese businessmen. During the talk, he told a joke and everyone in the room laughed.

Later, while talking to his interpreter, he said, "It seems that they liked my joke."

The interpreter said, "I didn't know how to translate your joke, so I told them, 'laugh, he is telling a joke'."


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests