Singapore Expats

thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular

Post by Aragorn2000 » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 10:06 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Whoever it was, must have had an overseas education then. Most don't have a clue as to what is Irony or Satire and/or cannot tell the difference between a hoax and satire.
Well indeed, that was why I wasn't sure whether (despite what they had written earlier) this person actually meant the last part about all us 'pigs' leaving. I'm still not sure, given the irony deficit amongst most Singaporeans.

JR8, I know what you mean about Japan - it's one of my favourite places but I've had similar experiences there, and elsewhere in Asia. It's that moment when you say something ironic or mildly satirical and everyone looks puzzled, then someone says, "Oh, really?" To which one replies, "No, not really, I was just... oh, never mind." :)
Are Asians supposed to understand Westerner's jokes/irony/satire?
I don't think it's the audience's fault when they don't understand your jokes. :?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:27 pm

They only type of humour that they seem to understand is Slapstick humour, aka Mr. Bean.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

thismyvoice
Chatter
Chatter

Post by thismyvoice » Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:40 am

amarettoSour wrote:I'm not sure if this is an indication, but it seems to be easier to get PR these days..

- I got mine in December 2013, after being here for 4 years. Applied in June 2013. I am Indonesian Chinese.
- A friend of mine got approved in Feb 2014 and applied June 2013. Graduated from local uni. Indian race.
- My sister who moved to SG on Feb 2014, applied in May 2014, got hers approved this past August 2014. She is also indo chinese.
- Another friend of mine moved to SG bout 2 years ago, applied in April 2014 and just got his approval yesterday (September 2014). American.

The only common thing is that we're all under 30 and all with approved 4-year university degrees (my sister also has an MBA from a very good b-school)
Why is it so difficult for some to understand? News just out for figures this year. Government will grant about 15,000 to 25,000 new citizens each year. For PR, the figure is 30,000 per year. No more 70,000 PR a year. This is not the first time they are saying this.

After the election, if results is good, grant 25,000. If not, well I guess 15,000 to 20,000. If you fit the criteria and you are top of the pile, you will get your PR / citizenship. If there are many Indians going after the same pot, competition will be intense, and many will go away disappointed.

Lastly, slim chance getting MP to endorse your PR/citizenship.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 28 Sep 2014 9:23 pm

thismyvoice wrote: Lastly, slim chance getting MP to endorse your PR/citizenship.
errrr, how much value does an MP's letter add???

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Re: thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Post by blessedone » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 12:30 am

Whats the situation like now for PRs and REP renewal? what are the wind sails telling us?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Aug 2015 12:45 am

blessedone wrote:Whats the situation like now for PRs and REP renewal? what are the wind sails telling us?
If you are asking if the flood gates opened, going by the rejections of PR and REP of late, they are being tightened and it is not wrong from the govt Point of view (not that they do clarify that. ..)