Singapore Expats

thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
blessedone
Regular
Regular

thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Post by blessedone » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:23 am

Hello,

Wonder what you think of the rumors that the floodgates will be opened post 2015 elections to welcome in foreigners and get fresh funding for jobs in SG - after all the houses are lying empty and await fresh tenants?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:26 am

blessedone wrote:Hello,

Wonder what you think of the rumors that the floodgates will be opened post 2015 elections to welcome in foreigners and get fresh funding for jobs in SG - after all the houses are lying empty and await fresh tenants?
Elections are in 2016?

But Yes. I think that "post" 2015 sometime there is a very good shot that foreigners will be welcome again.

Of course how soon "post" 2015 is hard to say. I'd give it 50/50 before 2030 ;)

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:53 pm

I dont see floodgates opening. If anything they could be closed shut, especially if the election results are worse than expected for the ruling party.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 1:55 pm

Wd40 wrote:I dont see floodgates opening. If anything they could be closed shut, especially if the election results are worse than expected for the ruling party.
+1. All indicators are that the GE 2016 will be a hard fight for the PAP again, (even without a strong credible opposition) and that means they will be pork barreling (i.e. catering to the whims of the populace). I don't see it happening and I would not plan a future on it. Personally I'm a little worried about renewing my REP in 2017!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 2:55 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I dont see floodgates opening. If anything they could be closed shut, especially if the election results are worse than expected for the ruling party.
+1. All indicators are that the GE 2016 will be a hard fight for the PAP again, (even without a strong credible opposition) and that means they will be pork barreling (i.e. catering to the whims of the populace). I don't see it happening and I would not plan a future on it. Personally I'm a little worried about renewing my REP in 2017!
I met a few guys, married to SG spouse, in entertainment line (singer/musicians ...)

their REP got trimmed to 1 year

anyway there will be 'packages' to win votes and of late, PA has been attracting a lot of youngsters with their programs .. (we know PA is not political ... ;) ;) )

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 3:27 pm

ecureilx wrote:...of late, PA has been attracting a lot of youngsters with their programs .. (we know PA is not political ... ;) ;) )
shhh... PA is a statutory board and receives government funding!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 6:33 pm

taxico wrote:
ecureilx wrote:...of late, PA has been attracting a lot of youngsters with their programs .. (we know PA is not political ... ;) ;) )
shhh... PA is a statutory board and receives government funding!
understood !!!!

as long as not connected to Whites, I can sleep easily!!!!

:twisted: :twisted:

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:39 pm

Will see what comes with my next EP renewal in July.

My last one was already refused, and processed on appeal so we'll see. I just extended my apartment lease this week for a year to take account of the fact I may not get it. If that happens, my company closes, staff are fired and I up sticks to elsewhere.

I have a new rental agreement for the apartment, a new car, a new mobile phone contract and schooling all hinging on a new EP.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:43 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Will see what comes with my next EP renewal in July.

My last one was already refused, and processed on appeal so we'll see. I just extended my apartment lease this week for a year to take account of the fact I may not get it. If that happens, my company closes, staff are fired and I up sticks to elsewhere.

I have a new rental agreement for the apartment, a new car, a new mobile phone contract and schooling all hinging on a new EP.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 1:31 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Will see what comes with my next EP renewal in July.

Intersting! I have never had problems getting an EP in Singapore, cant say the same thing about finding a job, though. Even now, my EP is valid for 2 years but my employment contract is 1 yr, renewable. Sigh!

triste
Regular
Regular

Post by triste » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 2:12 pm

I don't think the floodgates are ever going to open again. If anything, the door is going to slam shut.

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 2:38 pm

triste wrote:I don't think the floodgates are ever going to open again. If anything, the door is going to slam shut.
More likely a model similar to Dubai might be adopted wherein it's next to impossible for a foreigner to get PR, but work visa's are issued freely on an as needed basis

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 2:52 pm

GSM8 wrote:
triste wrote:I don't think the floodgates are ever going to open again. If anything, the door is going to slam shut.
More likely a model similar to Dubai might be adopted wherein it's next to impossible for a foreigner to get PR, but work visa's are issued freely on an as needed basis
I think you missed something

the ruling party got beaten in the last election not just due to new residents but more towards foreigners flooding in to work ...

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 2:57 pm

GSM8 wrote:
It's a balancing act, try and keep the voters happy without destroying the economy. Actually at the moment it's probably more about trying to teach the voters that they cannot have both prosperity and no foreigners.

I doubt the floodgates will open, it will just continue to be managed immigration along with something like the visa approach mentioned above.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 3:02 pm

bgd wrote:Actually at the moment it's probably more about trying to teach the voters that they cannot have both prosperity and no foreigners.

They could.....if they got off their fat backsides and improved productivity.

For all the work done in the last few years, productivity is getting worse. You want to ask how many Singaporeans it takes to change a light bulb? Truth is none knows how to do it.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE