Singapore Expats

thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nakatago

Re: He He

Post by nakatago » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:00 am

The Ref wrote:So get rid of the Malays - the historical owners of this fine Island - and keep the Chinese immigrants from 2 generations ago. Get rid of those who bring companies here - that way they will get their 100 B economy (although the B may stand for Baht not Billion). Get rid of those that fix the roads, mind their children or serve in the Hawker centres.

That poster must be sooooo much smarter than me because I don't understand the logic.
This needs to happen: http://anonymousxwrites.blogspot.com.au ... mable.html

Gist: Super powered being snaps, goes on murderous rampage, toys with world leaders. Gets pissed off at how syncopathic Singapore was, he decides to sink the island.

Singapore vanishes in minutes.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:49 am

Amongst all the predictable bile, one comment stood out...

'As for Singapore becoming expensive, we Singaporeans have to ask ourselves if our demands for higher pay is commensurate with higher value output. If we cannot generate higher value output, we will get into trouble sooner or later. Assuming higher pay is our entitlement for the same humdrum job (even in an environment of escalating costs) is a very prevalent attitude. And this attitude is lousy and has no place in the market in the coming years.'
[Comment by: Jman September 1, 2014 at 6:42 pm]

There also seems to be a lot of confusion re: what tax-breaks are, with multiple writers apparently believing the government are giving beneficiaries money. Example:

So, we pay loss making companies all these years?
[Comment by: j September 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm]

Smart moves by EDB. We wonder how much Singaporean taxpayer monies you put in this companies employing many foreigners instead of singaporean. Smart moves EDB.
[Comment by: how does it benefit SIN?: September 1, 2014 at 8:45 pm]

... and finally the outright fruit-loops...

'Go lah, b*****ds!
I am sure they will come back full swing quietly because the company still has an office here. I am sure they will relocate all their Irish drinking trashes here in 5 years time.

[Comment by: blueview: September 2, 2014 at 1:50 am]

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 1:11 pm

JR8 wrote:Amongst all the predictable bile, one comment stood out...

'As for Singapore becoming expensive, we Singaporeans have to ask ourselves if our demands for higher pay is commensurate with higher value output. If we cannot generate higher value output, we will get into trouble sooner or later. Assuming higher pay is our entitlement for the same humdrum job (even in an environment of escalating costs) is a very prevalent attitude. And this attitude is lousy and has no place in the market in the coming years.'
[Comment by: Jman September 1, 2014 at 6:42 pm]

There also seems to be a lot of confusion re: what tax-breaks are, with multiple writers apparently believing the government are giving beneficiaries money. Example:

So, we pay loss making companies all these years?
[Comment by: j September 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm]

Smart moves by EDB. We wonder how much Singaporean taxpayer monies you put in this companies employing many foreigners instead of singaporean. Smart moves EDB.
[Comment by: how does it benefit SIN?: September 1, 2014 at 8:45 pm]

... and finally the outright fruit-loops...

'Go lah, b*****ds!
I am sure they will come back full swing quietly because the company still has an office here. I am sure they will relocate all their Irish drinking trashes here in 5 years time.

[Comment by: blueview: September 2, 2014 at 1:50 am]

Mother of God - those negative comments really, really reek of ignorance.

Primrose Hill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Primrose Hill » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 4:33 pm

our rep renewal is 2018. wonder how that will go.
I wonder if the country goes back to its bumi - the malays, the chinese and the indians. the true blues as they call themselves. wonder how they will cope.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 4:48 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:our rep renewal is 2018. wonder how that will go.
I wonder if the country goes back to its bumi - the malays, the chinese and the indians. the true blues as they call themselves. wonder how they will cope.
if the new voices have their way, only second / third generations must be considered true blue ...

first generations must loose out ... as the sudden light bulb talks !

as if that's going to get second / third generations more committed :eek: :rolleyes:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 5:08 pm

Primrose Hill wrote:our rep renewal is 2018. wonder how that will go.
It's all controlled dosages of soma for the people. A permitted if not facilitated escape valve for excess steam/pressure within some elements of society.

There is a gahmen department who's specific job is monitoring/tracking the likes of TRE and other 'vent/hate' sites. Not at all surprising really when you think about it.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Re: Media slants

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 5:21 pm

The Ref wrote:On the radio this morning, there was an article on how Broadcom have just moved from Singapore to Ireland because the termination of tax incentives. The radio article sounded like (paraphrasing) "Good riddance to bad rubbish". It seems they minimised tax by S$528M over the last 10 years - no mention of the lost jobs or impact on the economy but only on the negatively viewed fact that they were using a tax minimisation scheme offered by the government to bring them here in the first place.

Interestingly a google search shows the bird cage liner has an article on how it will further stretch the industry.
Wonder if this could be the first of many, any company here that is just pen pushers with no manufacturing, could quite easily up sticks and "leave" once its Tax benefits have waned?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 02 Sep 2014 8:41 pm

Barnsley wrote: Wonder if this could be the first of many, any company here that is just pen pushers with no manufacturing, could quite easily up sticks and "leave" once its Tax benefits have waned?
but while here do the natives know how much may have been pumped into the economy in indirect spending?

like while people complain about the low profit from F1 or YOG, they forget these events pumped in a lot of tourist revenue, which went into whose pocket?

and then a local shot back .. "still the govt made money by GST also what .... "

give up already!!!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 5:40 am

I hate to say it, but the much lauded Singaporean education system has produced a population of which a sizeable proportion appears to be totally incapable of rational thought and logical deduction.
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 7:00 am

^^This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 9:21 am

Barnsley wrote:Wonder if this could be the first of many, any company here that is just pen pushers with no manufacturing, could quite easily up sticks and "leave" once its Tax benefits have waned?
It's happening already, particularly in the support services such as IT, accounting and billing, payroll, and HR. All being moved to consolidated service centers, all located outside of Singapore due to cheaper costs and easier visas.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 9:33 am

Mi Amigo wrote:I hate to say it, but the much lauded Singaporean education system has produced a population of which a sizeable proportion appears to be totally incapable of rational thought and logical deduction.
There seems to be something of a 'complainer culture' here. Is it that people have it all, and so can afford distractions? Is a target bête de jour (beast/enemy of the day) a convenient political distraction? Or is it a 24/7 kiasu obsession with who is getting how much $?

Hmmm...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 9:40 am

PNGMK wrote:[]

You're not a PR so your opinion on how it feels to be one is irrelevant.

What you should have said was how you feel being on an EP.
I think WD40 says, if there is a mini-authentic India with their own racial / caste hierarchy and closed to outsiders, including local Indians/Malaysian indians, then "The Indians" will be thrilled to be in Singapore and happy ...

never mind if the locals treat these Indians as second / third class, a-la middle east, as long as the ranking system within the Indian community is intact

and India is the only country that matters... who cares about other nationalities ...

is my summary right?

well, I can't figure out the modern India, insisting on enforcing their way of life on others, as after all the second largest population means they are right, regardless what the others think, but now I understand why my great great grandparents took flight from India :D

PS, I recall the tantrums, some from educated guys, that went flying from India when Maria Sharapova asked who is Sachin :twisted:

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 10:25 am

Mi Amigo wrote:I hate to say it, but the much lauded Singaporean education system has produced a population of which a sizeable proportion appears to be totally incapable of rational thought and logical deduction.
I have a real life example going on, my gf is designing something for a rather large corporation, she interacts with various members of middle management to get their thoughts and ideas this resulted in a new change to the design almost every other day,
they also wanted her to provide 12 different options to the same design
Reason: they were afraid that if they selected one of the options and went with it, what if the upper management disapproved and told them off.
So here we are stuck with people who crave/want managerial posts but are unable to make a simple decision.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 03 Sep 2014 11:07 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:So here we are stuck with people who crave/want managerial posts but are unable to make a simple decision.
If I might. ^ Yes!

p.s. and of course often there is no right or wrong decision, at least in that the right one is not predictable in advance. But it's a case of taking a 'best shot' rather than waiting for someone else to suggest which one to take.

My career in SE/NE Asia was based upon an ability to perform such 'reasonably well informed winging it' :)
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 03 Sep 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.