Singapore Expats Forum

thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
blessedone
Regular
Regular
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed, 04 Apr 2012

thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Postby blessedone » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:23 am

Hello,

Wonder what you think of the rumors that the floodgates will be opened post 2015 elections to welcome in foreigners and get fresh funding for jobs in SG - after all the houses are lying empty and await fresh tenants?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: thoughts on "floodgates opening up" again?

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:26 am

blessedone wrote:Hello,

Wonder what you think of the rumors that the floodgates will be opened post 2015 elections to welcome in foreigners and get fresh funding for jobs in SG - after all the houses are lying empty and await fresh tenants?


Elections are in 2016?

But Yes. I think that "post" 2015 sometime there is a very good shot that foreigners will be welcome again.

Of course how soon "post" 2015 is hard to say. I'd give it 50/50 before 2030 ;)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 12:53 pm

I dont see floodgates opening. If anything they could be closed shut, especially if the election results are worse than expected for the ruling party.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5399
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 1:55 pm

Wd40 wrote:I dont see floodgates opening. If anything they could be closed shut, especially if the election results are worse than expected for the ruling party.


+1. All indicators are that the GE 2016 will be a hard fight for the PAP again, (even without a strong credible opposition) and that means they will be pork barreling (i.e. catering to the whims of the populace). I don't see it happening and I would not plan a future on it. Personally I'm a little worried about renewing my REP in 2017!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 2:55 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Wd40 wrote:I dont see floodgates opening. If anything they could be closed shut, especially if the election results are worse than expected for the ruling party.


+1. All indicators are that the GE 2016 will be a hard fight for the PAP again, (even without a strong credible opposition) and that means they will be pork barreling (i.e. catering to the whims of the populace). I don't see it happening and I would not plan a future on it. Personally I'm a little worried about renewing my REP in 2017!


I met a few guys, married to SG spouse, in entertainment line (singer/musicians ...)

their REP got trimmed to 1 year

anyway there will be 'packages' to win votes and of late, PA has been attracting a lot of youngsters with their programs .. (we know PA is not political ... ;) ;) )

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 3:27 pm

ecureilx wrote:...of late, PA has been attracting a lot of youngsters with their programs .. (we know PA is not political ... ;) ;) )


shhh... PA is a statutory board and receives government funding!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 6:33 pm

taxico wrote:
ecureilx wrote:...of late, PA has been attracting a lot of youngsters with their programs .. (we know PA is not political ... ;) ;) )


shhh... PA is a statutory board and receives government funding!


understood !!!!

as long as not connected to Whites, I can sleep easily!!!!

:twisted: :twisted:

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:39 pm

Will see what comes with my next EP renewal in July.

My last one was already refused, and processed on appeal so we'll see. I just extended my apartment lease this week for a year to take account of the fact I may not get it. If that happens, my company closes, staff are fired and I up sticks to elsewhere.

I have a new rental agreement for the apartment, a new car, a new mobile phone contract and schooling all hinging on a new EP.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:43 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Will see what comes with my next EP renewal in July.

My last one was already refused, and processed on appeal so we'll see. I just extended my apartment lease this week for a year to take account of the fact I may not get it. If that happens, my company closes, staff are fired and I up sticks to elsewhere.

I have a new rental agreement for the apartment, a new car, a new mobile phone contract and schooling all hinging on a new EP.


Image

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 1:31 pm

ScoobyDoes wrote:Will see what comes with my next EP renewal in July.

My last one was already refused, and processed on appeal so we'll see. I just extended my apartment lease this week for a year to take account of the fact I may not get it. If that happens, my company closes, staff are fired and I up sticks to elsewhere.

I have a new rental agreement for the apartment, a new car, a new mobile phone contract and schooling all hinging on a new EP.


Intersting! I have never had problems getting an EP in Singapore, cant say the same thing about finding a job, though. Even now, my EP is valid for 2 years but my employment contract is 1 yr, renewable. Sigh!

User avatar
triste
Regular
Regular
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue, 02 Jul 2013

Postby triste » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 2:12 pm

I don't think the floodgates are ever going to open again. If anything, the door is going to slam shut.

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat, 14 Dec 2013
Location: Singapore

Postby GSM8 » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 2:38 pm

triste wrote:I don't think the floodgates are ever going to open again. If anything, the door is going to slam shut.

More likely a model similar to Dubai might be adopted wherein it's next to impossible for a foreigner to get PR, but work visa's are issued freely on an as needed basis

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 2:52 pm

GSM8 wrote:
triste wrote:I don't think the floodgates are ever going to open again. If anything, the door is going to slam shut.

More likely a model similar to Dubai might be adopted wherein it's next to impossible for a foreigner to get PR, but work visa's are issued freely on an as needed basis


I think you missed something

the ruling party got beaten in the last election not just due to new residents but more towards foreigners flooding in to work ...

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 2:57 pm

GSM8 wrote:
triste wrote:I don't think the floodgates are ever going to open again. If anything, the door is going to slam shut.

More likely a model similar to Dubai might be adopted wherein it's next to impossible for a foreigner to get PR, but work visa's are issued freely on an as needed basis


It's a balancing act, try and keep the voters happy without destroying the economy. Actually at the moment it's probably more about trying to teach the voters that they cannot have both prosperity and no foreigners.

I doubt the floodgates will open, it will just continue to be managed immigration along with something like the visa approach mentioned above.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1664
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 29 Aug 2014 3:02 pm

bgd wrote:Actually at the moment it's probably more about trying to teach the voters that they cannot have both prosperity and no foreigners.



They could.....if they got off their fat backsides and improved productivity.

For all the work done in the last few years, productivity is getting worse. You want to ask how many Singaporeans it takes to change a light bulb? Truth is none knows how to do it.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests