Singapore Expats

Changing Jobs on EP

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Changing Jobs on EP

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 14 May 2015 11:01 am

Wd40 wrote:Yes the end date of your old company can be the same as the start date of your new company. This happened in my case, but that was in 2011.
Thanks, WD40. I'd imagine this should not have changed, so I'll go ahead and try it.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Changing Jobs on EP

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 14 May 2015 12:45 pm

Wd40 wrote:Yes the end date of your old company can be the same as the start date of your new company. This happened in my case, but that was in 2011.
Just make sure you submitted to your employer a notice letter, or they gave you one, and have a copy, as in odd cases MOM randomly likes to see you are severing your employment properly ...

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Thu, 14 May 2015 8:35 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Just make sure you submitted to your employer a notice letter, or they gave you one, and have a copy, as in odd cases MOM randomly likes to see you are severing your employment properly ...
Thanks, I'll make sure to take such a letter. I'd otherwise assumed that the old company cancelling EP was adequate evidence of leaving on good terms

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 7:48 pm

A few further questions on this topic.

1. As was clarified earlier in this thread, on the last day of employment the current employer cancels the EP, retains the card, and shifts the outgoing employee's status to a default 30-days SVP. Within these 30 days one then needs to either clear out of Singapore, or take up new employment. So, can one exit Singapore on a personal trip after say 3 days, and re-enter on the same 30-day SVP status say 5 days later, or once one exits must one re-enter as a tourist (showing the new IPA/employment letter as intention to take up employment)? The reason for my doubt is that if the 30-day SVP status ends upon exiting for such a 5-day personal trip after 3 days, then technically one can no longer legally hold an apartment lease in the interim few days until starting new employment, say 10 days after ending the previous employment.

2. If it is allowed (which I believe it is, but just wanted to confirm) can one continue to use the automated clearance gates at Changi immigration?

3. If taking up new employment, EP will change, and bank, landlord, etc need to be given a copy of the new EP, but will the FIN number (for say Singpass) remain same? (again, the answer is likely that it will remain same, but wanted to check)

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 8:21 pm

GSM8 wrote:3. If taking up new employment, EP will change, and bank, landlord, etc need to be given a copy of the new EP, but will the FIN number (for say Singpass) remain same? (again, the answer is likely that it will remain same, but wanted to check)
I can't answer 1)/2), but this one I can.

Your FIN won't change, it's rather like a UK NI number, or a US SS number, you get one and it's yours for life.

Example:
I first moved to SG in the mid-90s on a P1 pass, and I was assigned a FIN number.
I returned c13 years/c2008 later on an LTVP, and was rather taken aback to see the IC had the same FIN number as I had in the 90s
I returned again c2 years ago, another LTVP, and there is was again, the same FIN number assigned.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:51 pm

GSM8 wrote:A few further questions on this topic.

1. As was clarified earlier in this thread, on the last day of employment the current employer cancels the EP, retains the card, and shifts the outgoing employee's status to a default 30-days SVP. Within these 30 days one then needs to either clear out of Singapore, or take up new employment. So, can one exit Singapore on a personal trip after say 3 days, and re-enter on the same 30-day SVP status say 5 days later, or once one exits must one re-enter as a tourist (showing the new IPA/employment letter as intention to take up employment)? .
Unless you are from a visa on arrival passport, in which case you get a new visa when you return, you shouldn't leave while on the 30 day visa. It is not extendable and is not multiple entry.

If you have your next IPA and it states it's good for travel to Singapore or you get visa on arrival, no worries.

2. If it is allowed (which I believe it is, but just wanted to confirm) can one continue to use the automated clearance gates at Changi immigration?
No auto clearance as soon as you cancelled your Ep, that's how it was before.

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 11:16 pm

ecureilx wrote: Unless you are from a visa on arrival passport, in which case you get a new visa when you return, you shouldn't leave while on the 30 day visa. It is not extendable and is not multiple entry.

If you have your next IPA and it states it's good for travel to Singapore or you get visa on arrival, no worries.
Thanks for the details JR8 and ecureilx. I am from a visa on arrival country so re-entry shouldn't pose an issue. However, I am assuming from your post that the 30-day SVP expires on first exit from Singapore (even if that's after 3 days). In such cases, once the SVP ends, technically one can no longer hold an apartment lease in the interim few days until getting the new EP - would you know if that is indeed the case, or does having an IPA legally allow for continuation of lease in the interim?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 11:45 pm

It's an interesting question, and one I haven't seen asked before. That in itself merits consideration, there have been many people here changing jobs, and in the interim taking a holiday, but none have raised this question. Though of course that doesn't provide an answer to the question...

If you leave having a 30-day SVP, after just say 3 days use of it, or any other duration, it is cancelled. It's to your advantage that you are from a VoA country, so much less hassle.

To your point though, which I suppose equates to 'Is in-principle approval for a new EP equivalent to maintaining residency status?'. I think I'd want to weigh up how significant a potential issue that might be, just so I'm clear about any pitfalls. Most people previously probably haven't even thought of it; and just gone and done it instead. So, don't know, over to the other SME's.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Changing Jobs on EP

Post by ecureilx » Sat, 13 Jun 2015 11:57 pm

GSM8 wrote: Thanks for the details JR8 and ecureilx. I am from a visa on arrival country so re-entry shouldn't pose an issue. However, I am assuming from your post that the 30-day SVP expires on first exit from Singapore (even if that's after 3 days). In such cases, once the SVP ends, technically one can no longer hold an apartment lease in the interim few days until getting the new EP - would you know if that is indeed the case, or does having an IPA legally allow for continuation of lease in the interim?
Adding on to JR8, IPA is approval .. technically you haven't obtained your pass till you fulfil additional conditions, like medical, if required.

As for the lease, unless you have a cussed landlord, it shouldn't matter, especially when rentals are going south, which for the landlord means a lesser rental if a new tenant comes in.

As long as your are not an illegal immigrant (i.e minus "any" visa) .. most landlords would be accommodating ...

If your landlord is kiasu maximus, he may want you out ASAP fearing this or that, especially HDB rentals..

Been there, seen both. Including a landlord who insisted a visiting spouse produce a 6 months social visit pass ... (face palm.. trying to tell him there is no 6 months social visit pass...)

GSM8
Chatter
Chatter

Post by GSM8 » Sun, 14 Jun 2015 12:10 am

Thanks, JR8 and ecureilx. That clarifies the topic quite well.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 14 Jun 2015 7:55 am

ecureilx wrote:kiasu maximus
Kiasu-Maximus, the Chinese gladiator? :lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Changing Jobs on EP

Post by ecureilx » Sun, 14 Jun 2015 12:51 pm

JR8 wrote:
That's a New word to be submitted to The New Oxford Dictionary ;)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Jun 2015 3:31 pm

JR8 wrote:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers