Singapore Expats

crappy parents

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 16 Oct 2014 11:03 pm

Depends on the noise the kids are making, yes, I expect them to remain quiet in cinemas, but, frankly, do you expect people in restaurants to not talk? Kids are noisy when they talk, they are easily excitable.

My two are both well behaved, we have had a number of episodes where they were given a talking to for unacceptable behavior, like any kids, they push boundaries and as long as you straighten them out that's fine, I don't expect them to shout, but, I am not going to stop them from asking questions or speaking. I will however ask them to do it quietly.

I have had a number of instances when they were younger of people turning their noses up at me because they are "misbehaving" and they were simply learning to express themselves.

Why when you are making noise in a public space are you monopolizing it? You are not, everyone has to accept what is going on around them, I accept people I don't like all the time, just because they are small and young, why does it make it acceptable to do so??? As I say, if someone is clear that they are annoyed by my small people, then I will purposely allow them on that occasion to wind them up.

Maybe it's the devil in me :twisted: :twisted:
nutnut

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 8:04 am

I clearly misread you. Sorry for that. Behaviour I referred to is probably the best described as when they attract constant, unfavorable attention from majority of people in the place. Unfortunately too many kids are just left running and screaming around, a mall or a restaurant, anywhere. This is what monopolizes the public space. If kids behave (noise-wise) like adults with the difference to the dialogs/questions frequency I don't see anything wrong in it.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 9:42 am

x9200 wrote:too many kids are just left running and screaming around, a mall or a restaurant, anywhere.
Agreed, This is not my kids, however, likewise, I do not expect them to act like adults at young ages or all the time at slightly older, as they are developing those skills, lets face it, they are not adults, this is why we don't treat them the same as adults.

I don't think you misread, I was on a rant and had drunk a few beers when I posted previously, I got quite passionate :wink: :wink:
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 9:50 am

While I occasionally have the urge to smack my child, what pisses me off to no end to the point of near violence is when someone else disciplines my child. That is when I want to smack someone!

Example: A couple of weeks ago my daughter and a few other random kids were running around in a small park next to a set of tables outside a few restaurants (Nothing fancy, a Subway, Starbucks, etc). They kept picking pedals off of flowers on one bush and tossing them on the sidewalk laughing. Some old chinese auntie came over and yelled at them, grabbing one by the wrist. They ran back to their respective parents crying. IF that auntie had touched my daughter instead I would have likely pushed her back quite hard.

Worth noting the flowers were public, not this lady's (she was just sitting there with some other aunties). There were a few dozen pedals on the ground of thousands still on the plant. (It was a hedge a few meters long)

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:40 am

Yep, nothing makes me want to hit someone more than someone assaulting my kids, but an old lady?? That's a bit rough mate :P :P :twisted:
nutnut

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 12:37 pm

nutnut wrote:Yep, nothing makes me want to hit someone more than someone assaulting my kids, but an old lady?? That's a bit rough mate :P :P :twisted:
Well, she was an aunty, which just means she was older than me. I'd say mid 40s. I'm told I look younger than my age, so I think people like her see I'm the father and assume I'm some kind of hooligan father.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 1:08 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nutnut wrote:Yep, nothing makes me want to hit someone more than someone assaulting my kids, but an old lady?? That's a bit rough mate :P :P :twisted:
Well, she was an aunty, which just means she was older than me. I'd say mid 40s. I'm told I look younger than my age, so I think people like her see I'm the father and assume I'm some kind of hooligan father.
Like how I'd call any older man uncle, Uncle Nutnut!

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 1:18 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
calm down uncle!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 2:26 pm

zzm9980 wrote:...Some old chinese auntie came over and yelled at them, grabbing one by the wrist. ..

Worth noting the flowers were public, not this lady's (she was just sitting there with some other aunties). There were a few dozen pedals on the ground of thousands still on the plant. (It was a hedge a few meters long)
In Singapore, if the lady was a Singaporean, she was just reprimanding the kids for littering, fair .. if the parents don't teach the kids, then somebody had to teach them ;) :P :P

and the plants are all govt property, and .. in a way, the children were 'damaging public property' ;)

so how ??? D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 4:52 pm

ecureilx wrote: In Singapore, if the lady was a Singaporean, she was just reprimanding the kids for littering, fair .. if the parents don't teach the kids, then somebody had to teach them ;) :P :P
and the plants are all govt property, and .. in a way, the children were 'damaging public property' ;)
so how ??? D
And what if she wasn't SGn? What if she was some auntie visiting her immigrant children? Then 'she has not right to interfere hor!' . 'Only SG citizens have this right to act as an extended neighbourhood branch of the police force'.

If dropping flowers (littering) is a crime, a child cannot be guilty of it as they're below the age of responsibility. If dropping plant matter on the pavement is a crime, the town council are guilty of it 10 million times over each time they come by mowing the grass verges. Is the auntie going to come and tell those workers off too?

Sounds like a killjoy busy-body interfering old bat to me. Sticking her nose in where it's not needed or wanted.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 5:12 pm

the lynx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Like how I'd call any older man uncle, Uncle Nutnut!

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html
I quite like that Ah girl.
nutnut

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 5:14 pm

ecureilx wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:...Some old chinese auntie came over and yelled at them, grabbing one by the wrist. ..

In Singapore, if the lady was a Singaporean, she was just reprimanding the kids for littering, fair .. if the parents don't teach the kids, then somebody had to teach them ;) :P :P

so how ??? D
Squirrel, I hope you aren't being serious, they are kids, the petals grow back! FFS!
nutnut

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 5:36 pm

Technically, I'm with ecureilx on this one, to some extent, whether serious or not. Damage to any property, owned by somebody else, needs to be addressed.

So, this is a plant/flower/petals right, so what? It doesn't matter if it's petals or the wing mirror of somebody's car, it's damage to other people's property and, in a nutnutshell, vandalism.

Petals grow back, wing mirrors can be fixed but you can't differentiate.

I know it's extreme but it's the basics and kids don't know, anyway, how to differentiate so it's better to be all encompassing.

Picking the odd flower is acceptable as far as I'm concerned, but not for wanton destruction and just pulling them for fun, or because "there's plenty so why not?"
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 6:32 pm

So you never made 'daisy-chains' at the village green, town park, or school playing fields? Or God forbid lobbed sticks up into chestnut trees in order to play conkers... etc *100.

...to imagine such an austere childhood... :o

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Fri, 17 Oct 2014 7:51 pm

I did caveat it by at least saying there should be a reason and not done for "just the h3ll of it."

But in an answer to your question, no, sorry, I neither made a daisy chain nor "lobbed" anything into a tree to get chestnuts.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE