Singapore Expats

Need advise on PR Application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
puntu

Need advise on PR Application

Post by puntu » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 9:36 pm

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum since long getting valuable tips.. thank you guys. I am now planning to apply for a PR application.. need your advise

My profile

Years in Singapore: 2 Years 9 Months
Education: Bachelors degree in Engineering
Occupation: Consultant with a SG company for a Investment Bank (IT field)
Compensation: Year 2013 - 166K, 2012 - 157K
Filed Taxes: 2013 & 2014 in all given 26 K in taxes to govt in last 2 years

Working with same company since coming to singapore

I have no past police record any where.. in singapore too.

Do you think I have a chance .. considering I am Indian, I know competition is very tough here, quite a few people apply and share of quota is less for Indians.

Kindly share your expert opinions
Last edited by puntu on Sun, 24 Aug 2014 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 10:51 pm

puntu wrote:Hi All,

I have been reading this forum since long getting valuable tips.. thank you guys. I am now planning to apply for a PR application.. need your advise

My profile

Years in Singapore: 2 Years 9 Months
Education: Bachelors degree in Engineering
Occupation: Consultant with a SG company for a Investment Bank (IT field)
Compensation: Year 2013 - 166K, 2012 - 157K
Filed Taxes: 2013 & 2014 in all given 26 K in taxes to govt in last 2 years

Working with same company since coming to singapore

I have no past police record any where.. in singapore too.

Do you think I have a chance .. considering I am Indian, I know competition is very tough here, quite a few people apply and share of quota is less for Indians.

Kindly share your expert opinions
i'm no pro at this, but i'd wonder (if i were ICA) what you had to contribute to singapore in the long run...

coz your profile looks like the sort that follows the money, no?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:51 am

^^ This.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

puntu

Post by puntu » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 6:06 pm

thanks for the replies.. i see thats (how I can be of any value to Singapore) a very good question . I checked the application form 4A to see any space where I can add a few good points regarding how I can be of any value to Singapore :)

Yes every one knows Singapore economy is built upon on its people. It is a economic machinery built on deposits and spendings of people .. may be it is friendly when a company wants to have a setup here.. few people would know that the strong IP rules in singapore is partly used to favour setting up of fronts for reducing tax (read tax evasion) in their home country, no surprise that singapore has a excellent treaties with 58 other leading nations for dual taxation avoidance. If I am not wrong there are 10s of thousands of companies registered here who do nothing in singapore just receive money and send money.. Other than that the housing scheme and CPF are major source, explains why they need more people with more money

Absolutely no one is surprised when singapore has many of the largest sovereign funds in the world.

For a commoner like my who is happy eating Idly and Samber and spend a few dollars on watching movies .. all that comes to my mind how I can give back to society. May be I need to look at common singaporians .. how they are giving back to nation apart from being responsible citizens and helping in community efforts.

I really don’t know what is govt thinking when they say Person X from Malaysia is a sales man for a bank selling credit cards is a better than Person Y from India working in a niche technology field in bank. Here we can make a comparison of similar banking background but very dissimilar job profiles.

May be they are they looking at the fact that Person X is a nice family man and would buy a HDB and send kids to govt run schools, and would buy a small family car.

On the other hand Person Y is skilled may find a better job elsewhere.. is that why they are so worried about past Job record and major contribution in my current job (there is a big space in form 4A for job contribution). I am really surprised how my job performance helps in a visa application. some relation with $$s that govt wants to predict.

kindly share your thoughts ..

BTW funny thing .. It seems I cant apply for PR .. as no green date available for me .. not in August, not September, not October, .... not not not and not in April 2015 too :roll:

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 9:15 pm

puntu wrote:thanks for the replies.. i see thats (how I can be of any value to Singapore) a very good question . I checked the application form 4A to see any space where I can add a few good points regarding how I can be of any value to Singapore :)

Yes every one knows Singapore economy is built upon on its people. It is a economic machinery built on deposits and spendings of people .. may be it is friendly when a company wants to have a setup here.. few people would know that the strong IP rules in singapore is partly used to favour setting up of fronts for reducing tax (read tax evasion) in their home country, no surprise that singapore has a excellent treaties with 58 other leading nations for dual taxation avoidance. If I am not wrong there are 10s of thousands of companies registered here who do nothing in singapore just receive money and send money.. Other than that the housing scheme and CPF are major source, explains why they need more people with more money

Absolutely no one is surprised when singapore has many of the largest sovereign funds in the world.

For a commoner like my who is happy eating Idly and Samber and spend a few dollars on watching movies .. all that comes to my mind how I can give back to society. May be I need to look at common singaporians .. how they are giving back to nation apart from being responsible citizens and helping in community efforts.

I really don’t know what is govt thinking when they say Person X from Malaysia is a sales man for a bank selling credit cards is a better than Person Y from India working in a niche technology field in bank. Here we can make a comparison of similar banking background but very dissimilar job profiles.

May be they are they looking at the fact that Person X is a nice family man and would buy a HDB and send kids to govt run schools, and would buy a small family car.

On the other hand Person Y is skilled may find a better job elsewhere.. is that why they are so worried about past Job record and major contribution in my current job (there is a big space in form 4A for job contribution). I am really surprised how my job performance helps in a visa application. some relation with $$s that govt wants to predict.

kindly share your thoughts ..

BTW funny thing .. It seems I cant apply for PR .. as no green date available for me .. not in August, not September, not October, .... not not not and not in April 2015 too :roll:
my reply was not meant to be offensive or hostile in nature, but i understand it certainly has taken on such a form as i re-read it. it was unintentional and a direct result of my interpretation of your post.

then allow this thread to take on a life of its own...

Singapore's built on its people, not transient workers.

you are right, singapore's always on the look out for money... not so much for "money's sakes" but rather, singapore's looking for someone who's here to stay. an enterprise or someone committing 5m or 50m to create jobs for the next decade is certainly welcomed, i would think. Person Y, with a profile first mentioned in this thread, bringing in 160k a year does not qualify. not yet, anyway.

you mean to say the "10s of thousands" of shell companies registered here do not create jobs for the locals (not necessarily Singaporeans)? or exist at the expense of handing a substantial number of jobs/working passes to non-locals?

let's put it this way. giving Person Y SPR will probably mean another person (say, X, on a work permit) will be denied SPR.

between Person Y and Person X, it's a no brainer who's more likely to stay... or more likely return again at some time in the future, even if they were to eventually get a job located outside of singapore.

Person Y will likely not sink roots here. why waste the SPR? singapore's government is able to churn out sufficient (okay, copious) amounts of money for itself - i believe they run a very healthy surplus from GLCs to COEs, and does not require transient workers, like Person Y, to help boost its coffers or populate the country.

the SPR app is probably not so much a gauge on how much taxes IRAS can draw from a particular person/family. SPR is also not a matter of buying an HDB flat, or a small family car, and sending one's children to government schools.

for "a commoner... who is happy eating Idly and Samber and spend (sic) a few dollars on watching movies" but yet is unable to spell the word "Singaporean" and does not identify with "common Singaporeans" to understand what it means, i urge you to not do more than remain a responsible resident at this time.

puntu

Post by puntu » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 4:04 am

oh I am really sorry.. I never wanted to say any thing good or bad.. as always the selection criteria for PR has been controversial. Not a point based system as in other countries where it is much more stringent difficult to get residency (ex: Australia) but open so every one knows where they stand even before applying for residency

As of what contributions I have made to society, i have close to 70 days off since coming here. helping various social, non profit organisations here.. I have participated in 8 or more marathon runs. I believe it should be based on facts and figures not X is a nice man has kids and will probably stay and Y is not.. how can any one predict that Y will leave and X will stay.. I really feel they should make the criteria public

May I ask the moderator to remove this thread all together. I think this discussion has taken a very wrong turn..

May I request this thread be deleted for good.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 6:55 am

puntu wrote:oh I am really sorry.. I never wanted to say any thing good or bad.. as always the selection criteria for PR has been controversial. Not a point based system as in other countries where it is much more stringent difficult to get residency (ex: Australia) but open so every one knows where they stand even before applying for residency

As of what contributions I have made to society, i have close to 70 days off since coming here. helping various social, non profit organisations here.. I have participated in 8 or more marathon runs. I believe it should be based on facts and figures not X is a nice man has kids and will probably stay and Y is not.. how can any one predict that Y will leave and X will stay.. I really feel they should make the criteria public

May I ask the moderator to remove this thread all together. I think this discussion has taken a very wrong turn..

May I request this thread be deleted for good.
I have taken the liberty to quote your last post as well as you have already indicated you want to do a runner. It's good to leave it as it allows other newbies to learn. As to your listed contributions, e.g., contributions to society, it has been abused so much by those who wish to gain PR that it's pretty obvious that most are just doing so to gain brownie points until such time as they gain PR or SC. I know. I've seen it happen first hand a number of times as I'm a long time RC member in my own housing estate. Anyway, good luck.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:02 am

OP's profile strikes me as someone (no offense, but an Indian who has never married at 35 is going to raise the question) who might be gay. That will probably come up in ICA's checklist of issues as well. I do not know of any Gay male who has successfully applied for PR but I do know of one who has failed but of course no reason is ever given.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 2:51 pm

puntu wrote:...the selection criteria for PR has been controversial. Not a point based system as in other countries where it is much more stringent difficult to get residency (ex: Australia) but open so every one knows where they stand even before applying for residency

...I believe it should be based on facts and figures not X is a nice man has kids and will probably stay and Y is not.. how can any one predict that Y will leave and X will stay.. I really feel they should make the criteria public.
if the criteria is transparent, it only means everybody will know exactly how to game it.

additionally, the points-based system establishes a preference for candidates based on past achievements (quantifiable credentials and skills) - something i think 49 year-old singapore does not wish to utilize at this time for the purposes of nation building.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 2:53 pm

taxico wrote:additionally, the points-based system establishes a preference for candidates based on past achievements (quantifiable credentials and skills) - something i think 49 year-old singapore does not wish to utilize at this time for the purposes of nation building.
I'm actually fascinated by your point of this. What disadvantage would a "young" country like Singapore have if it is a point-based system? I personally think it does give some objectivity to the criteria, unless there is something wrong about it that I don't know of - yet.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 4:33 pm

the lynx wrote:
taxico wrote:additionally, the points-based system establishes a preference for candidates based on past achievements (quantifiable credentials and skills) - something i think 49 year-old singapore does not wish to utilize at this time for the purposes of nation building.
I'm actually fascinated by your point of this. What disadvantage would a "young" country like Singapore have if it is a point-based system? I personally think it does give some objectivity to the criteria, unless there is something wrong about it that I don't know of - yet.
i think the government doesn't want suitably qualified people working in the wrong industries, or coming in and not being able to land "the right type" of job... or competing in certain sectors/levels.

besides regularly failing to provide a good talent pool,(1) the points-based system is also fairly known for being slow to react to labor demands, especially in the long term.(2)

since the meddlesome but quick moving government likes dictating which industry/jobs resources should be trained and/or deployed in, i assume immigration control is one way of them (with constant direction by those who gaze into the PAP crystal ball) making sure the right people come in to take up the right type of jobs (and perhaps also to increase the low birth rate).

i posit that this is likely true not just by the government's actions/inactions, but also because of her small size and age - since the size of this island won't change (much), we may see some reform in that area only as time progresses.

anecdotally, in other developed western nations with points-based systems, i know nurses with medical degrees, computer science graduates running internet cafes or massage parlors, laundromat owners with CPAs, asian grocery store owners with professional engineering or architectural degrees. not because they do not wish to be employed, but that's how their green card "dream" worked out... once they're in, they're in.

1. www.migrationpolicy.org/pubs/rethinkingpointssystem.pdf (2011 Papademetriou & Sumption, accessed today)

2. http://www.cesifo-group.de/portal/page/ ... 144FAFBA7C (2001 Ochel, accessed today)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:30 am

the lynx wrote:
The points system doesn't work as well as it should in Australia... dozens of useless doctors who won't move to country towns and engineers who won't work on the mines, whereas the refugees who come in bust their balls doing anything to get going and usually are a success (a refugee migrant from VN has just been appointed GG of South Australia).

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 6:23 am

PNGMK wrote:OP's profile strikes me as someone (no offense, but an Indian who has never married at 35 is going to raise the question) who might be gay. That will probably come up in ICA's checklist of issues as well. I do not know of any Gay male who has successfully applied for PR but I do know of one who has failed but of course no reason is ever given.
I personally know two gay guys in their 30s who go PR.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 7:00 am

curiousgeorge wrote:
PNGMK wrote:OP's profile strikes me as someone (no offense, but an Indian who has never married at 35 is going to raise the question) who might be gay. That will probably come up in ICA's checklist of issues as well. I do not know of any Gay male who has successfully applied for PR but I do know of one who has failed but of course no reason is ever given.
I know one too and he was close to 40 when he got it.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 9:57 am

x9200 wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:
I know one too and he was close to 40 when he got it.
Interesting to know!