Singapore Expats

Any Arizona Wildcats in Singapore? (Or SF Bay Area peeps...)

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
AZWildcat

Any Arizona Wildcats in Singapore? (Or SF Bay Area peeps...)

Post by AZWildcat » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 6:10 pm

I know it's a long shot but are there any Arizona Wildcat fans out here? Football season is starting and our season opener against UNLV is at a perfect Singapore time: Saturday late morning! I'd be happy to play hostess but my new place isn't ready yet. I have a MBP and HDMI cable to stream the game if someone else plays host(ess). Or can one find EPSN (US version) and other US sports channel on Singapore cable now?

I would love to meet some peeps from the SF Bay Area, too!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Any Arizona Wildcats in Singapore? (Or SF Bay Area peeps

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:54 am

AZWildcat wrote: Or can one find EPSN (US version) and other US sports channel on Singapore cable now?
Unfortunately not. Your best bet is to subscribe to a VPN service (you can find decent ones for about $5 usd/month) or subscribe to MyRepublic or ViewQuest for fiber Internet. They perform a service where they proxy their customer's connections to the country where you are trying to stream from. This allows you to stream Netflix like you're in the US, BBC like you're in the UK, etc.

I'm from the Bay Area (and currently there too), but have am not a US college football fan.

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 1:38 pm

AZWildcat wrote:I know it's a long shot but are there any Arizona Wildcat fans out here? Football season is starting and our season opener against UNLV is at a perfect Singapore time: Saturday late morning! I'd be happy to play hostess but my new place isn't ready yet. I have a MBP and HDMI cable to stream the game if someone else plays host(ess). Or can one find EPSN (US version) and other US sports channel on Singapore cable now?

I would love to meet some peeps from the SF Bay Area, too!
I'm a Wildcat from 1980, but not big fan of US football. The best bet to try and watch is wiziwig.tv for streaming. ESPN wants you to have cable service in the states to use its streams. If someone you know will trust you with the login (such as for comcast.net) then you'll be good to go with SmartDNS or a VPN. Some stuff is on NBC also. Good luck!

AZWildcat

Post by AZWildcat » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 6:07 pm

zzm9980 wrote: Unfortunately not. Your best bet is to subscribe to a VPN service (you can find decent ones for about $5 usd/month) or subscribe to MyRepublic or ViewQuest for fiber Internet. They perform a service where they proxy their customer's connections to the country where you are trying to stream from. This allows you to stream Netflix like you're in the US, BBC like you're in the UK, etc.
Got it, thanks!

AZWildcat

Post by AZWildcat » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 6:34 pm

Tanuki wrote: I'm a Wildcat from 1980, but not big fan of US football. The best bet to try and watch is wiziwig.tv for streaming. ESPN wants you to have cable service in the states to use its streams. If someone you know will trust you with the login (such as for comcast.net) then you'll be good to go with SmartDNS or a VPN. Some stuff is on NBC also. Good luck!
Thanks for the link!

Wow, class of 80?? U of A must have changed a ton since you were there! I got in touch with the alumni association's global ambassador in Singapore and am hoping to meet up with a few alums. Would love for you to join us, too.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 9:06 pm

The ASN channel sometimes shows some college sports, but other than that you can only stream online.

P.S. ASU... the only team to beat WSU in 1997. :)

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:38 pm

AZWildcat wrote: Wow, class of 80?? U of A must have changed a ton since you were there! I got in touch with the alumni association's global ambassador in Singapore and am hoping to meet up with a few alums. Would love for you to join us, too.
Would be fun to catch up! I'm sure things have changed a lot.

AZWildcat

Post by AZWildcat » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 5:47 pm

aster wrote: P.S. ASU... the only team to beat WSU in 1997. :)
Boooooo..... :P

Remember who beat 3 #1 seeds to win the NCAA national championship in Indianapolis that year, ha!

AZWildcat

Post by AZWildcat » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 5:54 pm

Tanuki wrote:Would be fun to catch up! I'm sure things have changed a lot.
Awesome! I'll send you a PM.