Singapore Expats

Singapore among the most sleep deprived cities

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Singapore among the most sleep deprived cities

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 7:59 pm

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101935586#.

How many hours do you guys sleep? I need 8 hrs but usually end up with just 7 but that is mostly because my daughter sleeps so late!

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 8:43 pm

6.5 - 7.5. - any more than that and I don't feel well

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 9:36 pm

5.5 max Mon-Sat and 8~10 hrs on Sun. Been doin' it for the last 9 or 10 years. I've been told that the old one gets the less one needs, but I don't believe it. I could probably sleep 8/day if I was retired.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 7:21 am

I'm finding it more and more important to carefully manage my sleep as I get older. I work pretty hard to get 8 hours each night.

But this is usually interrupted by the small one still waking up 2x night.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 7:25 am

I started sleeping a lot less and less soundly once I arrived in Singapore. I attributed it to the heat, humidity, and noise. You pretty much have to deal with at least two of those three, depending on whether you turn on A/C or Fan, open the window, or just like feeling of sleeping in a sauna.

brian_singapore
Chatter
Chatter

Post by brian_singapore » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 7:35 am

May plan to sleep with a fan hit a bump when my wife complained about the noise from the fan. So we're back to the aircon which is quieter...

We're looking to try buying a quieter fan....

I personally didn't mind the fan and after about 20 minutes I think the white noise was helping with sleep.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 7:48 am

brian_singapore wrote:May plan to sleep with a fan hit a bump when my wife complained about the noise from the fan. So we're back to the aircon which is quieter...

I personally didn't mind the fan and after about 20 minutes I think the white noise was helping with sleep.
And it doesn't really do much for the humidity either.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 8:13 am

brian_singapore wrote:May plan to sleep with a fan hit a bump when my wife complained about the noise from the fan. So we're back to the aircon which is quieter...

A combination works best. Aircon to drop the temps by just a few degrees and lower the humidity and a fan that will circulate the air.

My wife and I sleep comfortably at 79-80F (26-27C) with a ceiling fan... need it at least 4F lower without.

Did the same thing in Singapore.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:15 am

I need 7 to 8 hours or I am grumpy, forgetful and clumsy during the day time.

I currently have a wife 7 months pregnant who goes to the toilet every hour all through the night and when she is in bed rolls around trying to find that elusive comfortable position.

I also have a 3 year old who has just been moved into her own bedroom and is not adjusted yet to sleeping without knowing Mum and Dad are two feet away. It's also the room I used to go to to catch up on sleep when I really needed it.

Getting 2 to 3 hours Sunday to Thursday. Friday and Saturday my wife allows me to drink some red wine to knock myself out so that I get a few more hours :-)

The third bedroom is the maids and there are other threads with rumours of what might happen with my menage a trios. Could this be the catalyst
:wink:

bro75
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bro75 » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:25 am

Normally 6-7 hours (weekdays and weekends).

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 10:51 am

About 7.

I've found that I sleep much better if I get off the screen well before sleep. Before bed I spend about half an hour sitting outside watching the world - I have a view. Now I drop straight off, never done that before.

Read an article about light - LCD screens give off a frequency which tells the brain it's morning. Takes a while for the brain to readjust, hence get to sleep.

My sister, who has an interest in such things, tells me that doing nothing for a short period is very good for you. Seems that in this modern age very few of us do.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:01 am

The magic 7.

I've learned to make my bed a sanctuary place. No reading, eating, doing chores or any activity other than sleeping on the bed. That helps the mind to associate the bed to sleeping and you are able to ease into restful sleep the moment your head hits the pillow.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:22 pm

With 4 month old twins............

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:22 pm

bgd wrote:Read an article about light - LCD screens give off a frequency which tells the brain it's morning. Takes a while for the brain to readjust, hence get to sleep. .
That apparently doesn't work on me. I read on my tablet while I lie on my side and sometimes, just fall asleep doing so!

Maybe because I also use a warm white bedside lamp.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Akimbo » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 12:58 pm

Trying to get 7 hours, but if I want to wake up at 5 am for a morning run, it sucks to have curfew at 10 pm...

For a few weeks now, I've been sleeping arnd 11, and waking up at 630, skipping the run, and also going to work late since I still stay in bed even after I woke up.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.