Singapore Expats Forum

Property agents in SG, should I pay for the fees?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

LivinginSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 25 May 2014

Property agents in SG, should I pay for the fees?

Postby LivinginSG » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:04 pm

Hi all

My agent (tenant's agent) has asked that I pay for the agent's fees too. She says that she's been spending a lot of time looking for properties and organizing viewings. We've seen a number of properties > 10 I think

So she reasons after factoring co-broking and further split of the remainder with her company, the residual is probably not worth the effort and costs (petrol, etc..)

I've read in forums that the tenant should never pay as it's illegal. But I've found the blog below that says if the rent is <3.5K, the tenant is to pay the tenant's agent

I'm confused, please kindly advise

Of course if I choose to act as a rational economic man, I'd just go to the landlord's agent and negotiate myself? No? Yes?

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:34 pm

Did you sign a 2-yr lease?

I have only heard of co-paying when signing shorter leases, but with a standard lease the landlord will pay 1 month's worth of rent as a fee to the agent (or rather both agents will split this between them).

LivinginSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 25 May 2014

Postby LivinginSG » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:40 pm

aster wrote:Did you sign a 2-yr lease?

I have only heard of co-paying when signing shorter leases, but with a standard lease the landlord will pay 1 month's worth of rent as a fee to the agent (or rather both agents will split this between them).


Haven't sign anything, not even an offer has been made...my rational mind is saying I should go directly to the landlord's agent

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:14 pm

just tell your agent you don't wish to pay fees and get it from the other agent/LL.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Property agents in SG, should I pay for the fees?

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 12:35 am

LivinginSG wrote:Hi all

My agent (tenant's agent) has asked that I pay for the agent's fees too. She says that she's been spending a lot of time looking for properties and organizing viewings. We've seen a number of properties > 10 I think

So she reasons after factoring co-broking and further split of the remainder with her company, the residual is probably not worth the effort and costs (petrol, etc..)

I've read in forums that the tenant should never pay as it's illegal. But I've found the blog below that says if the rent is <3.5K, the tenant is to pay the tenant's agent

I'm confused, please kindly advise

Of course if I choose to act as a rational economic man, I'd just go to the landlord's agent and negotiate myself? No? Yes?


Did you sign any agreement with her before engaging? If so, that's what you're legally obliged to do. If not, then everything you're reading is all guidelines but not law. (e.g., her splitting with LL, arbitrary amounts like $3500 being where one person pays vs the other person, etc).

I would personally figure out how it actually cost her to service you, how much she's getting from the LL, and how happy you are with the service and come to an arrangement based on that.

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 2:07 am

LivinginSG wrote:
aster wrote:Did you sign a 2-yr lease?

I have only heard of co-paying when signing shorter leases, but with a standard lease the landlord will pay 1 month's worth of rent as a fee to the agent (or rather both agents will split this between them).


Haven't sign anything, not even an offer has been made...my rational mind is saying I should go directly to the landlord's agent


But were you discussing a 2-yr lease or was it known from the outset that the lease will be shorter?

icegoh
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 16 Mar 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby icegoh » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 12:24 pm

I don't see why you should pay. Just change the agent.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 1:23 pm

I've noticed a few HDB rental ads on a different site (with a central asian themed name) that explicitly state "TENANTS - STANDARD COMMISSION APPLIES".

LivinginSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 25 May 2014

Re: Property agents in SG, should I pay for the fees?

Postby LivinginSG » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 5:31 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
LivinginSG wrote:Hi all

My agent (tenant's agent) has asked that I pay for the agent's fees too. She says that she's been spending a lot of time looking for properties and organizing viewings. We've seen a number of properties > 10 I think

So she reasons after factoring co-broking and further split of the remainder with her company, the residual is probably not worth the effort and costs (petrol, etc..)

I've read in forums that the tenant should never pay as it's illegal. But I've found the blog below that says if the rent is <3.5K, the tenant is to pay the tenant's agent

I'm confused, please kindly advise

Of course if I choose to act as a rational economic man, I'd just go to the landlord's agent and negotiate myself? No? Yes?


Did you sign any agreement with her before engaging? If so, that's what you're legally obliged to do. If not, then everything you're reading is all guidelines but not law. (e.g., her splitting with LL, arbitrary amounts like $3500 being where one person pays vs the other person, etc).

I would personally figure out how it actually cost her to service you, how much she's getting from the LL, and how happy you are with the service and come to an arrangement based on that.


Didn't sign any agreement whatsoever

LivinginSG
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 25 May 2014

Postby LivinginSG » Sat, 23 Aug 2014 5:32 pm

aster wrote:
LivinginSG wrote:
aster wrote:Did you sign a 2-yr lease?

I have only heard of co-paying when signing shorter leases, but with a standard lease the landlord will pay 1 month's worth of rent as a fee to the agent (or rather both agents will split this between them).


Haven't sign anything, not even an offer has been made...my rational mind is saying I should go directly to the landlord's agent


But were you discussing a 2-yr lease or was it known from the outset that the lease will be shorter?


Discussed re 2 yr lease...


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests