Singapore Expats

Book flight/Credit Card/not traveller

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 8:37 am

Beeroclock wrote:I had booked maid home flights twice on Cebu with CC and no issue.

I just booked jetstar sg-MNL and noticed this requirement so opted to pay via SAM instead. You save the credit card fee this way too so probably would've done it anyway.
You mean paying by SAM (Jetstar Sg-Manila) you do not have to
accompany the traveller to the airport?

I have never used SAM but surely when online booking how can you possibly go to a SAM machine at the same time? I am confused. Maybe Jetstar allow couple of days to pay .... not sure

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 8:50 am

martincymru wrote:
Beeroclock wrote:I had booked maid home flights twice on Cebu with CC and no issue.

I just booked jetstar sg-MNL and noticed this requirement so opted to pay via SAM instead. You save the credit card fee this way too so probably would've done it anyway.

I have never used SAM but surely when online booking how can you possibly go to a SAM machine at the same time? I am confused. Maybe Jetstar allow couple of days to pay .... not sure
Jetstar will give you 24 or 48 hours to make the payment via 7-11 and SAM. Tiger Airways too. No booking fee (vs credit card fees, yay!) and they hold your reservation until you pay or it lapses.

Regarding verification at Jetstar office, I found out that you have to go to Jetstar check-in counter in the AIRPORT to do it. Not office.

http://www.dontflyjetstar.com/complaint ... ation-rule

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 9:14 am

I have never had an issue with SQ flying my daughter or mother to Singapore from London with credit card bookings however they are both designated travelers in my Krisflyer account and have the same surname. Not sure if that makes a difference. I would also have been through the on line card verification I guess, can't remember.

I did have this happen to me once in Hong Kong flying Cebu Pacific to Manila. Traveled without my credit cards (yes I know dumb!) and had my mother book the flight on the Internet. When I got to the transfer desk in HK they wanted to see the credit card used for the booking. In the end they kindly accepted talking to my mother on the telephone and accepting a scanned copy of the credit card.

I think this stacks up with other comments that Cebu Pacific are a little more relaxed about the rules.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 9:16 am

the lynx wrote:
Regarding verification at Jetstar office, I found out that you have to go to Jetstar check-in counter in the AIRPORT to do it. Not office.]
same as checking the passenger in ...

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 3:01 pm

martincymru wrote:

Well, that is my assumption, the Cebu Pacific I am speaking from experience twice. The Jetstare I have booked the flights but maid has not flown yet......

I think it's quite clear here :
http://www.jetstar.com/sg/en/planning-a ... nt-methods

The CC verification requirement is specific to the payment via CC section. For the 7-11 / SAM section it does not require/mention this.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 3:50 pm

Fact (Jetstar)
Although I ticked the box "pay later" and at the end of a long web trail the Payment section only gave me the right to pay by CC (no mention of SAM, 7-11 etc).
After 2 calls to Jetstar and one local travel agent, zero resolution/conclusion/ satisfaction.

I paid by CC so this brings me to next question.

Can I go to Jetstar Airport office say tomorrow and validate my credentials prior?
Btw traveller's flight is on 27 Dec 2014, on this date I am outside Sg., hence my question.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 5:14 pm

martincymru wrote:Fact (Jetstar)
Although I ticked the box "pay later" and at the end of a long web trail the Payment section only gave me the right to pay by CC (no mention of SAM, 7-11 etc).
After 2 calls to Jetstar and one local travel agent, zero resolution/conclusion/ satisfaction.

Can I go to Jetstar Airport office say tomorrow and validate my credentials prior?
Btw traveller's flight is on 27 Dec 2014, on this date I am outside Sg., hence my question.
That's strange. Any flight originating from Singapore would give you option to pay using 7-11 or SAM.

BTW it is not Jetstar office. It is the check-in counter. Just walk to the customer service desk at the front of the designated airline counter and ask. Let's say Jetstar counters are at row 10, the customer service desk is right at the front end of that row.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:56 pm

martincymru wrote:Fact (Jetstar)

I had the same experience with my booking. Jet star call centre (offshore outsource) was completely useless and annoying, I had to end the call they were just an utter waste of time. Eventually i figured it out myself somehow in the booking process I had redirected to the jetstar Australia website. You need to make sure you start the flight search and booking from the jet star Singapore website version otherwise you do not get the right payment options. Am sure it's a conspiracy to collect the CC booking fee.

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Beeroclock » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:58 pm

If you find jet star via google, it might depend whether u use google.sg or google.uk or .au etc as to which version of the jet star website you will be directed to....

nanana
Chatter
Chatter

Post by nanana » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 3:37 am

Anyone has experience with AirAsia? Flying off next week. I only have a picture of my dad's CC. would that be sufficient?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 8:58 am

the lynx wrote: Regarding verification at Jetstar office, I found out that you have to go to Jetstar check-in counter in the AIRPORT to do it. Not office.

http://www.dontflyjetstar.com/complaint ... ation-rule
His complaint was a bit hysterical:
This apparently meaningless 2 second task cost me an hour and a half and 50 dollars, for a ticket we bought for 200 dollars as it was the cheapest option. Not the cheapest anymore, is it!?
If money was such a concern surely he could have taken MRT or the bus to the airport.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 9:13 am

nanana wrote:Anyone has experience with AirAsia? Flying off next week. I only have a picture of my dad's CC. would that be sufficient?
Having 'been through the mill' with this issue before I would suggest that you assume the answer to that is no.

If I were you, I'd now go and investigate this further, and check what you can do about it.

I'm not trying to sound over-dramatic, but it's much better you resolve any issue now whilst you have time, than get to the airport check-in and be told you can't fly.

Good luck, and perhaps you might let us know what your findings/conclusions are?

sy_aus

Post by sy_aus » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 9:31 am

I done mine on QANTAS and SIA, booked my parent's tickets using my credit card and I am overseas. Done a few times, they just use the e-Ticket to check in and no hassles.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:24 am

sy_aus wrote:I done mine on QANTAS and SIA, booked my parent's tickets using my credit card and I am overseas. Done a few times, they just use the e-Ticket to check in and no hassles.
it is budget airlines who enforce additional checking due too credit Card Fraud, which is relatively low in the likes of SIA and Qantas.

nanana

I have booked in Air Asia and don't remember them asking me to show the card.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Aug 2014 10:28 am

sy_aus wrote:I done mine on QANTAS and SIA, booked my parent's tickets using my credit card and I am overseas. Done a few times, they just use the e-Ticket to check in and no hassles.
I know SIA used to do it, but they might well have stopped. It used to cause un-ending chaos; imagine all the Pinays being flown home on tickets bought on 'Sirs' credit card. Now is he going to go and check her in (show his CC) at the airport... I don't think so!