Singapore Expats

Job Offer in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
olala2000

Job Offer in Singapore

Post by olala2000 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 4:19 pm

Dear all,

I would like to use these Forum to ask all of you for your help, advise and information.
Just shortly to me: I am 39 years old and married with no children. I am living and working in germany since 10 years in the same company. I am getting 3400€ as a net salary. I am paying a rent about 750€. My health insurance and pensions are all payed before my net salary. I have a normal life standard (not luxury but also not poore, I can go to vacations, have my car, go 4-5 times per month outside dinner)
Now I got a job offer from a company in Singapore. The company is not the issue. What I would like to know is:
They offer me a gross salary of 15k S$ per month. From these I have to pay all by myself. It means housing, insurance etc.
Is it possible to have a normal life standard like I had in germany before? How much is the income tax? How much I have to calculate for renting a 2-room appartment (not mainly in the center)? Will be left something to save?
Would you recommend me to take these job offer?
Very thankfull for your comments :D

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 4:44 pm

Do a bit of a search here, you will get an idea of costs.

15K is a good income. Tax here is low, probably about 10 - 12% of your income at that level.

Housing here is expensive but you can get a reasonable 2 bed for between 3 and 3.5k at the moment. In the east at least, I've just moved.

Cars are too expensive for sane people :wink: but public transport is good.

Eating, drinking, etc can be expensive or cheap, depends on what you like. A lot of variety here.

Other costs I don't find too bad. Power, water, etc costs me about $160 a month with no air-con - I don't like it.

If you like travel, Sg is a great hub for Asia.

My advise would be take the offer. I personally like it out here and I reckon it doesn't hurt to spend a bit of time in a different culture. Your wife may feel differently, especially if she can't work. Often the trailing spouse can find it pretty hard going once the novelty wears off.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Job Offer in Singapore

Post by the lynx » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 4:46 pm

olala2000 wrote:Dear all,

I would like to use these Forum to ask all of you for your help, advise and information.
Just shortly to me: I am 39 years old and married with no children. I am living and working in germany since 10 years in the same company. I am getting 3400€ as a net salary. I am paying a rent about 750€. My health insurance and pensions are all payed before my net salary. I have a normal life standard (not luxury but also not poore, I can go to vacations, have my car, go 4-5 times per month outside dinner)
Now I got a job offer from a company in Singapore. The company is not the issue. What I would like to know is:
They offer me a gross salary of 15k S$ per month. From these I have to pay all by myself. It means housing, insurance etc.
Is it possible to have a normal life standard like I had in germany before? How much is the income tax? How much I have to calculate for renting a 2-room appartment (not mainly in the center)? Will be left something to save?
Would you recommend me to take these job offer?
Very thankfull for your comments :D
Long story short, $15k a month is a dream. Based on every single word you said here, it is very sufficient even with housing and expat insurance.

I'm running off but other forum regulars will get to you on this.

In the mean time, you can use the Search function on top right and use keyword "housing", "cost", "income tax" as there are many many threads discussing this.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 10:57 pm

Seems like a very good deal that would give a much better lifestyle than you currently have in Germany.

How secure is the job in the long run? I think it's also good that you are getting a fat cash sum as opposed to a much smaller sum with added "benefits," as those tend to erode after 2 years.