Singapore Expats

LTSVP QUERY

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
memphisshades

LTSVP QUERY

Post by memphisshades » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 6:14 pm

Hello, I'm a sole director, sole shareholder and sole employee of a UK LTD company. The LTSVP application form reads "I further undertake not to be engaged in any form of employment, business or occupation whilst in Singapore without the written consent of the Controller of Immigration". I'd like to obtain the written consent of the Controller of Immigration. Please can you advise as I do not appear to be able to get an answer to who to speak with in order to obtain such consent. Regards, MS

singaporeflyer
Answers: 2

Re: LTSVP QUERY

Post by singaporeflyer » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 6:46 pm

memphisshades wrote:Hello, I'm a sole director, sole shareholder and sole employee of a UK LTD company. The LTSVP application form reads "I further undertake not to be engaged in any form of employment, business or occupation whilst in Singapore without the written consent of the Controller of Immigration". I'd like to obtain the written consent of the Controller of Immigration. Please can you advise as I do not appear to be able to get an answer to who to speak with in order to obtain such consent. Regards, MS
I would like to ask you on why are you applying for an LTSVP to work in Singapore? Unless you are the spouse of SC, then you may be eligible for LTVP+

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=175#Eligibility

There is no separate application for LTVP+. Foreign spouses of SCs who submit applications for LTVP would automatically be considered for LTVP+ if they are eligible

Otherwise, You would need an Employment Pass /EntrePass to work in Singapore

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 7:41 pm

memphisshades wrote:Hello, I'm a sole director, sole shareholder and sole employee of a UK LTD company. The LTSVP application form reads "I further undertake not to be engaged in any form of employment, business or occupation whilst in Singapore without the written consent of the Controller of Immigration". I'd like to obtain the written consent of the Controller of Immigration. Please can you advise as I do not appear to be able to get an answer to who to speak with in order to obtain such consent. Regards, MS
What are you trying to actually accomplish? Work? Run your business?

memphisshades

Post by memphisshades » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 7:50 pm

I'll be relocating to Singapore with my partner (we are not married) and our toddler. My partner will be working in Singapore. I will need to continue as the director, employee and shareholder of my UK limited company
Last edited by memphisshades on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 7:59 pm

LTVP is only for employment pass and S pass holders to bring over common law spouse and step children.

If you don't have a spouse by common law marriage who is getting an EP/S-Pass, or, you're not a step child of the EP/S-Pass holder, you don't qualify for LTVP. If you are legally married, you get a DP but this still doesn't allow you to work in Singapore.

LTVP+ is only for the spouses of Singapore citizens and/or PR's. You can also get a simple LTVP for these people.

If you think you are moving as an individual and intend on applying for a pass just for yourself, it won't work.

If you are coming as a trailing spouse, all your business is performed in the UK (or from the comfort of your home via a PC to the UK), and no work product ends up in Singapore, you probably don't need anything other than the DP or LTVP you will get.

memphisshades

Post by memphisshades » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 8:06 pm

The LTSVP application form reads on page 5 "I further undertake not to be engaged in any form of employment, business or occupation whilst in Singapore without the written consent of the Controller of Immigration". Consequently how do I obtain the written consent of the Controller of Immigration?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 8:44 pm

](*,) #-o

Try writing a letter to the Comptroller of Immigration? Are you dense or what? Didn't get the answer you wanted? Go to the MOM site at MOM.gov.sg and look for the contacts page, get the physical address of MOM and head the address "The Comptroller of Immigration". Is that so hard to figure out? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

memphisshades

Post by memphisshades » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 9:57 pm

I've already liaised with the MoM and the ICA. Furthermore so has my partner's HR dept too.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:43 pm

I really don't understand why you want to do this. This is about employment in Singapore... working for a Singapore registered business or company... the kind of employment where you could be accused to taking someone else's job.

Lots of Singapore laws contain loopholes where high level officials are empowered to make exceptions. I doubt they would find your query relevant as you are not talking about employment in Singapore. Unless your product/service has customers in Singapore, no one would even know you have a business unless you specifically tell them.

Telecommuting into a non-Singapore business is not one of the more clearly defined areas in Singapore law, and there are multiple threads on the subject herein.

The real issue is taxes, and if you are incorporated in the UK, doing the work for persons/firms in the UK, then your personal income will be taxable in the UK and not in Singapore.

Singapore tax law specifically excludes this kind of income from taxation so long as the income is taxed somewhere.

memphisshades

Post by memphisshades » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 1:35 am

Are you suggesting or advising that even though the form reads "I further undertake not to be engaged in any form of employment, business or occupation whilst in Singapore without the written consent of the Controller of Immigration" I don't need such consent because the form of employment, business or occupation I will be engaged in whilst in Singapore will only be with a UK limited company?

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 3:20 am

memphisshades wrote:Are you suggesting or advising that even though the form reads "I further undertake not to be engaged in any form of employment, business or occupation whilst in Singapore without the written consent of the Controller of Immigration" I don't need such consent because the form of employment, business or occupation I will be engaged in whilst in Singapore will only be with a UK limited company?
Before I answer your question... I just reread your status... you say that you are coming with "my partner (we are not married)". There is no LTVP available for friends with benefits. See this page for eligible people.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

You should make very sure that someone, somewhere has already confirmed that you will get an LTVP... a lot of unmarried people who have posted to this board have not been able to do as you want to do.

As to your question... That's exactly what I am saying. Look, Singapore has two concerns when it comes to foreigners living/working in Singapore. First, they do not want anyone in the country without the legal right to be here. They want everyone in Singapore to have a legal residence document, working or not.

Second, they are concerned about jobs for locals, and they neither want people sneaking in to work without permission, nor do they want unscrupulous employers who hire these people, usually in very unfair ways.

You are none of the above. Assuming your unmarried self can actually acquire a pass (and that is a large assumption, given the recent posts about the UK and common law marriage), you have no issue with being in Singapore legally.

You are not hiring foreign workers, nor are you illegally taking jobs in Singapore. So long as your company does not use Singapore workers, and provides no services or products inside Singapore (or to a wholly owned Singapore company subsidiary elsewhere), you make exactly zero difference to the Singapore economy.

You couldn't even be found. You've got a computer at your house. You are doing work at a UK registered company. How would anyone even know?

As I previously stated, the only thing that Singapore cares about is if you are receiving foreign income that taxes be paid upon it somewhere.

memphisshades

Post by memphisshades » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 4:48 am

Thank you for your answer to my question. With regard to coming to Singapore; we'll be relocating as a family (my fiancée and our toddler). My fiancée will be working in Singapore

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 5:23 am

memphisshades wrote:Thank you for your answer to my question. With regard to coming to Singapore; we'll be relocating as a family (my fiancée and our toddler). My fiancée will be working in Singapore
A 'fiancee' is not entitled to a pass (actually, you are the fiancee, your GF is a work pass holder). Several posters on this board have noted their lack of success and rejections in trying to obtain a LTVP for their live in girlfriends... which is how Singapore views it.

And recently, for those from the UK, there has been a change in policy. If you are putting yourself up as common law married, the Singapore government will want a certification that you are married common law, and the high commission used to issue such letters upon petition.

However, since the UK does not recognize common law marriage via a legal definition, the high commission will no longer issue such letters. Several other posters have noted that they are now between a rock and a hard place... living together in common law, shared accounts, houses, kids, etc, but unable to prove it to the satisfaction of the Singapore government.

I'm just saying that you are no shoe in to get any kind of pass under your current circumstances. You will have to provide documentation... a marriage license or a suitable government document... or your application will go nowhere at a high rate of speed.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 7:31 am

memphisshades, what Strong Eagle is referring to is also covered below (these were my comments in this thread):

I'd suggest you read the following thread as it may be relevant to your situation:

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... common+law

Executive summary - In order to consider granting a LTVP to your partner, the Singaporean authorities now require a "Letter from Main Pass Holder's respective Embassy or high Commission confirming the status of common-law marriage." However, the UK authorities will (apparently) not issue a letter with that wording, because 'common-law marriage' is not an officially recognised term in the UK.
Be careful what you wish for

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 11:16 am

singaporeflyer wrote:There is no separate application for LTVP+. Foreign spouses of SCs who submit applications for LTVP would automatically be considered for LTVP+ if they are eligible
[Pedantic like a SGn can be/Mode]

It's not 'automatic'.
You have to tick a box on the form titled:
'Would you like your application to be considered for an LTVP+?'

I'm on my 3rd LTVP now, and the '+' and hence this question is new. Now, I have nil intention of working here but thought 'What the hell, why not keep all options open, you never know, and there's nothing to pay or lose'. So I ticked it.... and... the '+' was approved!? :o ....

---> Cue the wife (just joking) AND my mother (perfectly serious) starting on 'Why don't you go and get a job?!' ... lol :lol: :roll:

[/]