Singapore Expats Forum

Cleaner being investigated by Ministry of Manpower

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Jennycleaner
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 18 Aug 2014

Cleaner being investigated by Ministry of Manpower

Postby Jennycleaner » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 4:46 pm

I need advice. My cleaner of 2 years suddenly quit.
I just got a call from ministry of manpower to come to their office to discuss her.
Am I in trouble?
She is a freelance phillipino cleaner who has been cleaning 5 of my friends condos for the last 3 years. I don't know her work visa status, I never asked because she was recommended.
Do I need a lawyer?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Re: Cleaner being investigated by Ministry of Manpower

Postby the lynx » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 4:52 pm

Jennycleaner wrote:I need advice. My cleaner of 2 years suddenly quit.
I just got a call from ministry of manpower to come to their office to discuss her.
Am I in trouble?
She is a freelance phillipino cleaner who has been cleaning 5 of my friends condos for the last 3 years. I don't know her work visa status, I never asked because she was recommended.
Do I need a lawyer?


Is she your part-time maid or did you hire her as her employer?

By law, a maid should not clean for anyone else other than her registered employer. If she cleans for other people, it is against the law and all offenders will be prosecuted.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 5:10 pm

What Lynx says.

However I did have friends in a similar situation. They were eventually let off with a warning. Had to surrender their passports for a period though. Nearly impacted their annual holiday.

Jennycleaner
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon, 18 Aug 2014

Postby Jennycleaner » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 5:14 pm

As far as I am aware she was a freelance cleaner, so wan't a maid/didn't have a contract with anyone full time. She seemed to have 10 ladies over singapore she cleaned for and went to 2 different condos per day.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 6:27 pm

I doubt there is any legal work pass for a free lance cleaner from PI. She will most likely be a maid doing outside work to supplement what, if any, she earns from her registered employer. Often employers allow this to get a maid on the cheap. Not so good for everyone concerned when she gets caught.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9521
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 6:51 pm

bgd wrote:I doubt there is any legal work pass for a free lance cleaner from PI. She will most likely be a maid doing outside work to supplement what, if any, she earns from her registered employer. Often employers allow this to get a maid on the cheap. Not so good for everyone concerned when she gets caught.


there is NO pass for part time work for foreigners ...

good luck to OP trying to explain to MOM

per law, ignorance of the law is not an excuse and employing an illegal worker is against the law!!!

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4896
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 7:40 pm

bgd wrote:I doubt there is any legal work pass for a free lance cleaner from PI. She will most likely be a maid doing outside work to supplement what, if any, she earns from her registered employer. Often employers allow this to get a maid on the cheap. Not so good for everyone concerned when she gets caught.


I had a part time cleaner who was a PR filipino. She showed me her IC. Didn't look that much like her.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9521
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:46 am

PNGMK wrote:
bgd wrote:I doubt there is any legal work pass for a free lance cleaner from PI. She will most likely be a maid doing outside work to supplement what, if any, she earns from her registered employer. Often employers allow this to get a maid on the cheap. Not so good for everyone concerned when she gets caught.


I had a part time cleaner who was a PR filipino. She showed me her IC. Didn't look that much like her.


years ago, many part timers claim they are 'legally employed' with a 'sponsor'

only later did I find out the sponsor is actually their employer / bf ...

from what I know, PRs and SC are rare for part time cleaning as they can make more money doing other stuff for less effort ...'like working in shops, baby sitting .... etc

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:37 pm

The friends I mentioned in my earlier post employed their cleaner because she was married to a SC. The only problem was her view of marriage differed from that of MOM.

It never pays to take things here at face value.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9521
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:51 pm

bgd wrote:The friends I mentioned in my earlier post employed their cleaner because she was married to a SC. The only problem was her view of marriage differed from that of MOM..


married in Heaven ... I know ... a lot of living together's claim to be husband and wife, though back home they have their own spouses!!! :eek: :eek:

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3167
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Re: Cleaner being investigated by Ministry of Manpower

Postby taxico » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:58 pm

Jennycleaner wrote:I need advice. My cleaner of 2 years suddenly quit.
I just got a call from ministry of manpower to come to their office to discuss her.
Am I in trouble?
She is a freelance phillipino cleaner who has been cleaning 5 of my friends condos for the last 3 years. I don't know her work visa status, I never asked because she was recommended.
Do I need a lawyer?


why don't you ask if you are legally required to talk to them, and to provide documentation stating so before you go anywhere.

you can also first ask over the phone if you are in any trouble... they can sometimes be quite candid about it (especially since it is unlikely you're being prosecuted).

make your decision after you've got your answers. i do not recommend stepping into MOM until you know what you're dealing with...
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Beeroclock
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 718
Joined: Thu, 31 Oct 2013

Re: Cleaner being investigated by Ministry of Manpower

Postby Beeroclock » Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:01 pm

taxico wrote:
Jennycleaner wrote:I need advice. My cleaner of 2 years suddenly quit.
I just got a call from ministry of manpower to come to their office to discuss her.
Am I in trouble?
She is a freelance phillipino cleaner who has been cleaning 5 of my friends condos for the last 3 years. I don't know her work visa status, I never asked because she was recommended.
Do I need a lawyer?


why don't you ask if you are legally required to talk to them, and to provide documentation stating so before you go anywhere.

you can also first ask over the phone if you are in any trouble... they can sometimes be quite candid about it (especially since it is unlikely you're being prosecuted).

make your decision after you've got your answers. i do not recommend stepping into MOM until you know what you're dealing with...

Why is that taxico? I'd have thought its best to cooperate with these govt folks especially if you're potentially in the wrong, even if it was through ignorance.

User avatar
martincymru
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu, 16 Oct 2008
Location: out & about

Postby martincymru » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 8:48 am

I suggest

1. do not attend interview
2. block MoM's number on your phone
3. never admit on this forum or any that you are wrong/guilty.

If MoM are serious they will write stating authority, statute, + evidence etc.

They need bullets from you one of which will be used to nail you. It's the way it works here.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Cleaner being investigated by Ministry of Manpower

Postby nakatago » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 9:04 am

taxico wrote:
Jennycleaner wrote:I need advice. My cleaner of 2 years suddenly quit.
I just got a call from ministry of manpower to come to their office to discuss her.
Am I in trouble?
She is a freelance phillipino cleaner who has been cleaning 5 of my friends condos for the last 3 years. I don't know her work visa status, I never asked because she was recommended.
Do I need a lawyer?


why don't you ask if you are legally required to talk to them, and to provide documentation stating so before you go anywhere.

you can also first ask over the phone if you are in any trouble... they can sometimes be quite candid about it (especially since it is unlikely you're being prosecuted).

make your decision after you've got your answers. i do not recommend stepping into MOM until you know what you're dealing with...


No stated agenda? They should at least have the courtesy to give more details, otherwise you'll end up spending time and effort to, like what the others have said, get yourself in trouble.

Also, I agree to having things in writing, if only to cover your @$$.

"No, we're not arresting you. We're just inviting you to the station have a friendly chat."

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3797
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:14 am

What a coincidence, Lynx the other day you brought up this the other thread about hiring part time maids being illegal :) We both agreed its illegal. I just hope OP's plea of ignorance will save him.

Also its pretty interesting that people are asking OP not to got o MoM, sounds very counter intuitive.

Especially so if OP is an EP holder, his EP is at stake here.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests