Singapore Expats

Gym for bodybuilders/ serious lifters

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
Milla Rabello

Gym for bodybuilders/ serious lifters

Post by Milla Rabello » Sat, 16 Aug 2014 3:40 pm

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a gym that is not one of these mainstream centers with thousands of different services aka people that want to hang out and do something else than grinding some iron. I do weight training and some cardio and I would like to do it in a place with serious lifters too.
Is there such a place here? I have been to True Fitness and Fitness First and they are just not what I am looking for.
Thanks al ot.

heliotropic365
Regular
Regular

Post by heliotropic365 » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 1:25 pm

Maybe you can check out The Pit or Iron Fitness.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Gym for bodybuilders/ serious lifters

Post by Sporkin » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 2:23 pm

Pure bodybuildling, California Fitness has one of the most comprehensive Hammer Strength machines I've seen, also respectable dumb-bell poundages, the exact poundage eludes me but I remember it being heavier than Fitness First outlets. But that said it is a sparkly, neon-lit, loud music pumping typical commercial gym replete with its hordes of lunch-time crowd and queues for showers even for guys.

Racks and barbell area varieties are ok'ish, smith, squat racks all there, just that floor space is a bit compact( Raffles Plc).

Just be prepared for plenty of phone harassment for training packages et al.

If you're into niches like Crossfit, Oly/Power lifting or strong-man there are some specialized gyms which you can google, I'm not into those so I haven't visited those facilities.

Milla Rabello wrote:Hey Guys,

I am looking for a gym that is not one of these mainstream centers with thousands of different services aka people that want to hang out and do something else than grinding some iron. I do weight training and some cardio and I would like to do it in a place with serious lifters too.
Is there such a place here? I have been to True Fitness and Fitness First and they are just not what I am looking for.
Thanks al ot.

Milla Rabello

Post by Milla Rabello » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 4:03 pm

Thank you all for your advice, I will check California Fitness. Pit and Iron Fitness have a concept that you need to train with a personal trainer which is not what I am looking for.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 4:05 pm

Fitness Force Gym in Cairnhill Community Centre (nearest MRT, Newton) might be worth a visit. It's owned and run by aformer Mr. Singapore, Kevin Chiak. At one time it was the official gym of the Singapore Bodybuilding Federation. It's TINY but well equipped.

http://www.fitnessforcegym.com/p/gym-membership.html
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Milla Rabello

Post by Milla Rabello » Sun, 07 Sep 2014 7:31 pm

Sporkin wrote:Pure bodybuildling, California Fitness has one of the most comprehensive Hammer Strength machines I've seen, also respectable dumb-bell poundages, the exact poundage eludes me but I remember it being heavier than Fitness First outlets. But that said it is a sparkly, neon-lit, loud music pumping typical commercial gym replete with its hordes of lunch-time crowd and queues for showers even for guys.

Racks and barbell area varieties are ok'ish, smith, squat racks all there, just that floor space is a bit compact( Raffles Plc).

If you're into niches like Crossfit, Oly/Power lifting or strong-man there are some specialized gyms which you can google, I'm not into those so I haven't visited those facilities.

Thanks al ot.
Hi Sporky, thanks so much, I chose California Fitness!

Yoy

California Fitness

Post by Yoy » Tue, 23 Sep 2014 11:22 pm

Cool hope to see you there! I am hoping to get back into lifting after a full 12 mth break due to injury & illness.

Seriously can not wait.

Milla Rabello

Post by Milla Rabello » Wed, 24 Sep 2014 9:45 pm

Cool, I started there a week ago, I have been on and off the gym due to moving to Singapore but now I am starting it slowly and steady.

Sporkin
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Sporkin » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:10 am

Hey np, but do be aware they will hound your contact number trying to get you to sign on training packages, very hard sell tactics.

Milla Rabello wrote:
Sporkin wrote:Pure bodybuildling, California Fitness has one of the most comprehensive Hammer Strength machines I've seen, also respectable dumb-bell poundages, the exact poundage eludes me but I remember it being heavier than Fitness First outlets. But that said it is a sparkly, neon-lit, loud music pumping typical commercial gym replete with its hordes of lunch-time crowd and queues for showers even for guys.

Thanks al ot.
Hi Sporky, thanks so much, I chose California Fitness!

ChoongJT

Post by ChoongJT » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 12:49 pm

Serious weight lifting? Well, the best place is really, the Weightlifting Federation of Singapore. This is where it's all at. Really, It's pretty impressive. The national coaches are all there and they're persistent on their efforts to make you a better lifter, period.

All these nice gyms out there really just wanna make you feel good. But if you want results, SWF is where you wanna go.

Alternatively, there're CrossFit Gyms out there too which emphasize quite a bit on lifting and cardio too. Innervate CrossFit is one of em, pretty decent new gig going on.
Live Love Life

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Oct 2014 4:17 pm

ChoongJT wrote:Serious weight lifting? Well, the best place is really, the Weightlifting Federation of Singapore. This is where it's all at. Really, It's pretty impressive. The national coaches are all there and they're persistent on their efforts to make you a better lifter, period.

All these nice gyms out there really just wanna make you feel good. But if you want results, SWF is where you wanna go.

Alternatively, there're CrossFit Gyms out there too which emphasize quite a bit on lifting and cardio too. Innervate CrossFit is one of em, pretty decent new gig going on.
ChoongJT,

It's okay to advertise in our classifieds section of this site (as you have done), but it's not okay to solicit/advertise in the forum unless you purchase a sticky advert and then you can only advertise in that thread. Please confine your advertising in the classifieds section. You cannot refer to that advert in the forum either. So I trust this 2nd post will be the last by you regarding Innervate. Two of your first three posts are pushing your company. I would assume that the third is pushing a supplement that your company just happens to sell. Thanks

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers