Singapore Expats Forum

Food and Utensils

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 16 Aug 2014 12:50 pm

@Brah, ok thanks. I'm hesitant about visiting Japan and dwelling on Indian cuisine, but there's [genuine lol] something about how they do it there that makes it amazing. Like I pondered earlier, I'm guessing it's because you get used to Indian food with so-so grade ingredients, so when you get a version with AAA ingredients, it really takes you by surprise!

Well if my old branch of Moti is history, then I need another place to give my wife the JP-Indian curry experience. We're going to be based in/around Shinjuku... and Tripadvisor suggests this...

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restauran ... Kanto.html

'Ashoka Shinjuku
Ranked #10 of 5,013 restaurants in Shinjuku
33 Reviews
Certificate of Excellence 2014'

No menu that I can see, but from the reviews it sounds promising!

---

X9, re: curry udon.
I'm not big on udon (big fat smooshy/squishy/sticky noodles), I far prefer the subtlety of soba (fine buck-wheat noodles), and have to say that serving udon in curry does not hold much promise for me :) But never say never! It wouldn't be the first time I've had similar expectations demolished, so I try hard to keep a completely open mind!

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Sat, 16 Aug 2014 12:57 pm

JR8 wrote:@Brah, ok thanks. I'm hesitant about visiting Japan and dwelling on Indian cuisine, but there's [genuine lol] something about how they do it there that makes it amazing. Like I pondered earlier, I'm guessing it's because you get used to Indian food with so-so grade ingredients, so when you get a version with AAA ingredients, it really takes you by surprise!

Well if my old branch of Moti is history, then I need another place to give my wife the JP-Indian curry experience. We're going to be based in/around Shinjuku... and Tripadvisor suggests this...

http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restauran ... Kanto.html

'Ashoka Shinjuku
Ranked #10 of 5,013 restaurants in Shinjuku
33 Reviews
Certificate of Excellence 2014'

No menu that I can see, but from the reviews it sounds promising!

---

X9, re: curry udon.
I'm not big on udon (big fat smooshy/squishy/sticky noodles), I far prefer the subtlety of soba (fine buck-wheat noodles), and have to say that serving udon in curry does not hold much promise for me :) But never say never! It wouldn't be the first time I've had similar expectations demolished, so I try hard to keep a completely open mind!


I think there is an Ashoka in Ginza, there was some famous place verses ago that was ok but as usual over hyped. The Moti mainstays are good as is Samrat, agree with raja to skip Taj (one is across the street from a Samrat in Roppongi). I'm pretty sure the original Roppongi Moti is still there, on the road that leads to Shibuya and not far from the big police station, they can give directions.

You said "We're going to be based" - are you moving there?

Agree re the Udon, I only have udon when under the weather or in tenpura udon; not much for curry udon but katsu curry is pretty good. Japanese curry in general is good but different than other curries, and you get tired of it quickly as it's everywhere.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sat, 16 Aug 2014 2:14 pm

Brah wrote: I think there is an Ashoka in Ginza, there was some famous place verses ago that was ok but as usual over hyped. The Moti mainstays are good as is Samrat, agree with raja to skip Taj (one is across the street from a Samrat in Roppongi). I'm pretty sure the original Roppongi Moti is still there, on the road that leads to Shibuya and not far from the big police station, they can give directions.
You said "We're going to be based" - are you moving there?
Agree re the Udon, I only have udon when under the weather or in tenpura udon; not much for curry udon but katsu curry is pretty good. Japanese curry in general is good but different than other curries, and you get tired of it quickly as it's everywhere.


Moving to Tokyo?.... lol! :o :lol: I've done that twice, and three times here. I'm just about burned out on Asian postings. There is only so much more of this upheaval I'm willing to accept.

What I'm planning it a c5-6 day trip up there later this year. I haven't been back in 20 years. My wife has never been. I used to live on the Akasaka side of Roppongi (a bit like er, Bugis/Tanglin) albeit it in a tiiiiiny apartment , but for this trip I thought Shinjuku more practical, dynamic, and representative.

It's early days on the planning side but I was thinking...
- Meiji Shrine
- Yoyogi Park on a Sunday, if all the DIY bands turn up as they used to
- Ginza, Mitsukoshi etc, and Ginza-dori for the smell-the-YYYen (on our way to McDonalds) experience.
- Shinjuku
- Probably not Roppongi, I left that scene behind long ago ;;
- A KO sushi-sashimi meal (really not that hard to find there, even on a budget)
- an authentic shabu-shabu/sukiyaki meal
- Something like Moti's. I.e. the curious elevation of a cuisine, via it being interpreted by the Japanese.
- You could argue the same, re: and IF Jonny Rockets and Tony Roma's still exist there. Best burger and ribs anywhere on the planet.

So many aspects of the JP experience remain impenetrable, so I'm hoping to revisit things I used to enjoy, and try and give my wife as best and enjoyable an insight as possible during our brief trip.

Much will end up ad hoc I'm sure. But since you also lived there, can you think of anything else to add to the list, any major 'themes' I've missed out...?



p.s. Our flights go into Haneda... what a relief...!

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Sat, 16 Aug 2014 2:42 pm

JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote: What I'm planning it a c5-6 day trip up there later this year. I haven't been back in 20 years. My wife has never been. I used to live on the Akasaka side of Roppongi (a bit like er, Bugis/Tanglin) albeit it in a tiiiiiny apartment , but for this trip I thought Shinjuku more practical, dynamic, and representative.

It's early days on the planning side but I was thinking...
- Meiji Shrine
ok, but not sure I'd spend the time on that unless you are near
- Yoyogi Park on a Sunday, if all the DIY bands turn up as they used to
worth a walk though
- Ginza, Mitsukoshi etc, and Ginza-dori for the smell-the-YYYen (on our way to McDonalds) experience.
always good for an outdoor cafe after walking around
- Shinjuku
meh
- Probably not Roppongi, I left that scene behind long ago ;;
nothing really there in the daytime anyway, and better bars elsehwere
- A KO sushi-sashimi meal (really not that hard to find there, even on a budget)
- an authentic shabu-shabu/sukiyaki meal
- Something like Moti's. I.e. the curious elevation of a cuisine, via it being interpreted by the Japanese.
will have to think on that

- You could argue the same, re: and IF Jonny Rockets and Tony Roma's still exist there. Best burger and ribs anywhere on the planet.
not as good as real ones in the States but among the best outside the States; they are still around
Much will end up ad hoc I'm sure. But since you also lived there, can you think of anything else to add to the list, any major 'themes' I've missed out...?

I would make a day trip to Kamakura and skip Meiji, and make a day of it, visiting the seaside after the temples
And there is a Kua 'Aina Burger in Kamakura, some great burgers

All really depends which month you go, weather dictates recommendations



p.s. Our flights go into Haneda... what a relief...!

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:07 am

x9200 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Good curry udon is also something to kill for.


I can't say I've ever had that. Is it like Udon laksa?

I've never had udon laksa - I don't like laksa. I am not a big fan of noodles neither but my wife had ordered one when we visited Osaka and it was really good. More thicker than typical curry and more reach and intensive in flavor too.
We had another one this time in Singapore and to our surprise it was not that bad at all.


I don't like the version of laksa here. And udon. But if it is good, guess I ought to give it a try. Where in Singapore can you find a good one?

(I'm going to Tokyo this Sept so I might want to check out the places you guys mentioned in this thread - aside from the obligatory kobe beef)

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 8:30 am

Not a huge fan of Udon, more something I have when not feeling well, or with Tenpura. But Udon makes more sense with Laksa than Ramen.

The only Laksa I've had was in Singapore, was not bad, among the local foods which I can count on one hand and less that I even remotely like.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 8:43 am

Brah wrote:Not a huge fan of Udon, more something I have when not feeling well, or with Tenpura. But Udon makes more sense with Laksa than Ramen.

The only Laksa I've had was in Singapore, was not bad, among the local foods which I can count on one hand and less that I even remotely like.


Udon absorbs soup well so I guess it makes sense to pair udon with strong flavoured soup like laksa or curry or the likes.

The laksa I'm very familiar with is asam laksa. Sour, fish-based soup with vegetable garnishing. Took me a while to get accustomed to Singapore's curry-based laksa but still, it is not bad. It's just I'd rather choose asam laksa over curry-based laksa any day.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Tue, 19 Aug 2014 7:32 pm

the lynx wrote:Udon absorbs soup well so I guess it makes sense to pair udon with strong flavoured soup like laksa or curry or the likes.

sure, in terms of real laksa, for udon in a Japanese context, it is intentionally bland, for some perhaps too much so

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 2:23 pm

nakatago wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:I have seen people in Singapore eat roti parata with a fork and spoon and I can't seem to work out this amusing choice for eating something that should be eaten with hands.


I do it but only because I don't have tissue to clean my hands with or I'm just lazy to clean up afterwards. I'm just not a eat-with-hands person unless I'm at home.

And about Indians' desensitized tongues: it can be quite amusing when an Indian has no choice but to eat Japanese food.

About chopsticks: up to this day, I'm still wondering what was going on in the mind of the person who invented them. It's not really intuitive to learn and the guy must've had a hell of time convincing others to learn to use them.


I had Japanese cuisine today 1st time in my life. There is a Teppanyaki place at Lau Pa Sat. I had Curry Rice Teppan, after confirming from them that its completely vegetarian. I also made sure the sauce doesnt have anything like shrimp paste etc, lol.

It was basically japanese sticky rice with corn on top of it and then some sauce in the side. Tasted quite nice and spicy! :) Mainly because the guy sprayed some pepper flakes on it, lol!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 2:29 pm

You mean curry, as in that well known Japanese dish?

:cool: :P :wink:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 27 Aug 2014 2:35 pm

JR8 wrote:You mean curry, as in that well known Japanese dish?

:cool: :P :wink:


Yup; he tried the most representative of Japanese cuisine!

:roll:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Eating your food off your tray in Food Court/Coffee Shop...
    by Barnsley » Mon, 02 Sep 2013 12:45 pm » in General Discussions
    31
    15812
    by x9200 View the latest post
    Tue, 25 Mar 2014 8:23 am
  • "Exotic" Food and Whatnot
    by ecureilx » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 9:31 am » in Wine & Dine
    17
    4503
    by zzm9980 View the latest post
    Thu, 28 Mar 2013 9:27 am
  • Best food and shisha in Arab street?
    by cdcook » Wed, 01 May 2013 7:24 pm » in Wine & Dine
    8
    12446
    by Barnsley View the latest post
    Fri, 25 Oct 2013 6:05 pm
  • Hawker food getting worse and worse?
    by Fortan » Thu, 01 Aug 2013 11:03 am » in Staying, Living in Singapore
    19
    5377
    by Goldy740 View the latest post
    Tue, 27 Aug 2013 4:27 pm
  • Drinks and food tonight?
    by zolinie » Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:51 am » in Newcomer's Lounge
    0
    803
    by zolinie View the latest post
    Sun, 16 Mar 2014 10:51 am

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests