Singapore Expats

Food and Utensils

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 1:25 pm

Protip: Eating Curry without soling your fingers

Experiment:
1. tear of a piece of naan/parata/ with your hands
2. fashion into a cone
3. use a spoon to dip into whatever curry and pour a bit of into the cone
4. put mouthful of cone + curry in mouth

Observation:
1. the curry is contained in the cone
2. no dripping
3. hands are not soiled

Inference:
it is now possible to eat roti parata and curry without knife/fork/spoons and other paraphernalia
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 1:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yep, dem's da ones! :lol:
Yep yep yep. Peanuts are peanuts comparing to the straw mushrooms but chopsticks are very good for picking the peanuts from a common bowl at the table - no other cutlery is better suited.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 1:33 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Protip: Eating Curry without soling your fingers

Experiment:
1. tear of a piece of naan/parata/ with your hands
2. fashion into a cone
3. use a spoon to dip into whatever curry and pour a bit of into the cone
4. put mouthful of cone + curry in mouth

Observation:
1. the curry is contained in the cone
2. no dripping
3. hands are not soiled

Inference:
it is now possible to eat roti parata and curry without knife/fork/spoons and other paraphernalia
What about butter naan?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 1:48 pm

nakatago wrote: And about Indians' desensitized tongues: it can be quite amusing when an Indian has no choice but to eat Japanese food.

Aren't there Subway restaurants in Japan? I can't imagine myself living in Japan though for the same reason you mentioned. Many Indians get food packed from their home. I am one who likes to have lunch fresh and hate getting food packed from home. This is one reason why I love Singapore so much. Lau Pa Sat close to my office has atleast 6-7 Indian food stalls in it :)

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 2:15 pm

Wd40 wrote: Aren't there Subway restaurants in Japan? I can't imagine myself living in Japan though for the same reason you mentioned. Many Indians get food packed from their home. I am one who likes to have lunch fresh and hate getting food packed from home. This is one reason why I love Singapore so much. Lau Pa Sat close to my office has atleast 6-7 Indian food stalls in it :)
And quite a few other cuisines, just in case you ever felt adventurous. :wink:

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 2:27 pm

Wd40 wrote:
nakatago wrote: And about Indians' desensitized tongues: it can be quite amusing when an Indian has no choice but to eat Japanese food.

Aren't there Subway restaurants in Japan? I can't imagine myself living in Japan though for the same reason you mentioned. Many Indians get food packed from their home. I am one who likes to have lunch fresh and hate getting food packed from home. This is one reason why I love Singapore so much. Lau Pa Sat close to my office has atleast 6-7 Indian food stalls in it :)
subway is in japan yes, but really I can tell you there are lots of indian restaurants in Japan, but I would strongly suggest you try some japanese food at least the vegetarian options.

and there is a Japanese vegetarian restaurant in Singapore, its right opposite Burlington Square, walkable from Sim Lim.
they make some quite delicious but slightly pricey sushi.
@WD40 go on and be adventurous, there is nothing to lose.
there is an eight treasures Chinese vegetarian restaurant near china town, by the huge Chinese temple there. try that too, they make some lovely wasabi prawn rolls.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 2:39 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
subway is in japan yes, but really I can tell you there are lots of indian restaurants in Japan, but I would strongly suggest you try some japanese food at least the vegetarian options.

and there is a Japanese vegetarian restaurant in Singapore, its right opposite Burlington Square, walkable from Sim Lim.
they make some quite delicious but slightly pricey sushi.
@WD40 go on and be adventurous, there is nothing to lose.
there is an eight treasures Chinese vegetarian restaurant near china town, by the huge Chinese temple there. try that too, they make some lovely wasabi prawn rolls.
You, sir, are a model to emulate for Indians everywhere.

(None of that "but it's not vegetarian!" crap. Most cuisines already have vegetarian options available, just not Indian vegetarian. You want to be sure? Look in a vegan menu.)
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 2:46 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:Protip: Eating Curry without soling your fingers

Experiment:
1. tear of a piece of naan/parata/ with your hands[..]
3. hands are not soiled
Naans can be pretty greasy too.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 2:54 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: 3. use a spoon to
Inference:
it is now possible to eat roti parata and curry without knife/fork/spoons

NEEEEEEEEEEE-NAAAAAAAAAW [Circular loop entered!!] ;

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 3:23 pm

nakatago wrote:And about Indians' desensitized tongues: it can be quite amusing when an Indian has no choice but to eat Japanese food.
http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Restauran ... Kanto.html
Moti

I'm most pleased that this topic prompted me to look up if my favourite Indian restaurant in Tokyo still exists. And, yep, 20 years later it still does!

Imagine going to a tandoori/curry house, then the cuisine being devised with the fastidiousness of quality ingredients that only the JPnese can do. The result = just outstanding. The tandoor/butter/tikka/masala/butterflied/char-grilled prawns (or what ever) on a skewer OMG you will kill for that...

We're heading up that way soon after 20 (for me) years away. Gotta check it out. Next door was Jonny Rockets, for a supreme burger (same reasons re: QUALITY ingredients..... and the chick from the kitchen who used to come and stroke my thigh while I was lapping up her juices). Wonder if that's still there. Then all I need to relocate is Tony Roma's (finger lickin' good ribs), and our JPnese dining is all fixed up hehehe...

Sushi, oh yeah, I hear they can do that quite well up there too .... ;;;

Moti's - ref - http://www.stripes.com/military-life/af ... o-1.120166

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 3:39 pm

Good curry udon is also something to kill for.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:28 pm

JR8 wrote:I was struck by the use of the word 'should be eaten with hands' as it is surely just a social convention from the dishes country of origin.

On the same terms, you should only ever eat sushi with your fingers. And how one might (should? :)) laugh at the gaijin battling away with their chopsticks. You should also eat pieces of sushi in single mouthfuls, none of this prissy-gaijin holding it (hopefully/hopelessly) in chopsticks, whilst battling to bite half the piece off. You think the JPnese do such impossible things? :)

Chopsticks originated as cooking utensils, we have a pair, big buggers, about 18" long! Quite how they morphed into eating utensils instead of more practical/simple utensils is another matter, and beyond me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-fYp_N9kX4
'You're Doing It All Wrong - How to (Properly) Eat Sushi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-o-2U1WXTk
'How to eat Sushi'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwIHtpgo0s
Japanese Culture: Learn How to Eat Sushi the Right Way!

Typically weird Japanese humour... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc6v8IUe_0g
'How to eat at a Sushi Bar
Well I don't know about the 'only' part as the vast majority of Japanese I saw at sushi restaurants in Japan used chopsticks.

Here's one more to the collection, another from the SYSK folks:
http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podca ... shi-works/

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 14 Aug 2014 11:30 pm

JR8 wrote:I'm most pleased that this topic prompted me to look up if my favourite Indian restaurant in Tokyo still exists. And, yep, 20 years later it still does!
Was/is one of my favorites as well, question is, which Moti? At one point there were 2 in Roppongi, both good but different, and only one had my favorite Hyderabadi Chicken curry. Plus one in Shibuya, one in Shinjuku, and I can't remember the others.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:01 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote: I understand using a fork and knife, but whats with the fork and spoon ?
Use the spoon in lieu of a knife since that's what uncle gives when you buy prata. How many hawker centers actually have knives? Not all of them.

And your "howto" seems doesn't work as you still have to touch the prata, which is also quite greasy.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 2:04 am

JR8 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: 3. use a spoon to
Inference:
it is now possible to eat roti parata and curry without knife/fork/spoons

NEEEEEEEEEEE-NAAAAAAAAAW [Circular loop entered!!] ;

damm I was hoping nobody noticed that.