Singapore Expats

Renewal of entry permit - SPR - working in a foreign country

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
blessedone
Regular
Regular

Renewal of entry permit - SPR - working in a foreign country

Post by blessedone » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 4:44 pm

Hello,

1. What is the recommendation or experiences of forum members with renewal of entry permit when working outside of Singapore?

i have some questions. kindly let me know

2. I see a specific guideline for those working away from singapore namely, US, but how about other countries
"If you are sent by your employer in Singapore to work in USA, please also obtain a letter from your company in Singapore stating the duration of your assignment and the expected date of completion of your assignment in USA."

What if someone works say in HK or India? what are the chances then?

3. if one is on a local salary package in a foreign country at the time of renewal how can one strengthen the case for renewal?
recommendations:
- topping up cpf?
- frequent visits to sg?
- visiting ICA in person?

This question may seem pedestrian and extremely selfish to some, but some of us do have commitments that cannot be taken care of while being in singapore and mandate some absence from here.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 4:54 pm

I've renewed my REP overseas while on assignments. MY understanding (which is from personal experience only) is that if it is evident you are maintaining ties to Singapore and plan to return you should be able to get an REP renewed provided your employment overseas fits into that context.

For example I was working in China on a large fixed term project when I renewed it once - we owned a HDB and my wife (who lived me with me in China) and I had every intention of returning and we made that clear. I then returned in 2005 and managed to find a job and renew my REP in 2007. I renewed my REP in China via the Singapore high comm.

However there are anecdotal evidences (Singapore grammar) that ICA is tightening up on this - so if you have a job in another country that is not related to your original job in Singapore (mine was) and it's not clear that this job will end in a set period and you will return but that you'd rather just roll over REP's forever... you probably won't get it renewed without strong family ties back to Singapore.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:48 pm

PNGMK wrote:
However there are anecdotal evidences (Singapore grammar) that ICA is tightening up on this - so if you have a job in another country that is not related to your original job in Singapore (mine was) and it's not clear that this job will end in a set period and you will return but that you'd rather just roll over REP's forever... you probably won't get it renewed without strong family ties back to Singapore.
while I know a few whose REP was rejected since they spent more than 2 year of the 5 year out of Singapore, I met a Guy who was working in Brunei since his previous REP renewal, and has a house here, salary paid to his SG account, CPF paid here, and got it renewed recently.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 11:55 pm

ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
while I know a few whose REP was rejected since they spent more than 2 year of the 5 year out of Singapore, I met a Guy who was working in Brunei since his previous REP renewal, and has a house here, salary paid to his SG account, CPF paid here, and got it renewed recently.
Ah yes - obvious reasons plus Singapore and Brunei have reasonably close ties.

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 10:33 am

A guy I know worked and studied outside Sg for 2 years of the last 5. He returned to SG without work and his REP was renewed for 1 year only. He then found a job in SG and at the end of the year, he was renewed for another 5 years.

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:42 pm

bro75 wrote:A guy I know worked and studied outside Sg for 2 years of the last 5. He returned to SG without work and his REP was renewed for 1 year only. He then found a job in SG and at the end of the year, he was renewed for another 5 years.
Thank you - did he apply for REP while still outside Singapore or did he come back and apply while being physically in Singapore?

Thank you

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:44 pm

PNGMK wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
I have to move to a similar job but in a different company - and hence different country with HQ in singapore. Dont have any house here just a reasonable amount of CPF that I dont plan to withdraw. pls advise

One question - How much CPF contribution is adequate given that one wont be earning in SGD ?

What about Singapore and India?

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 12:45 pm

PNGMK wrote:
ecureilx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
How about Singapore and India?

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 1:22 pm

blessedone wrote:
bro75 wrote:A guy I know worked and studied outside Sg for 2 years of the last 5. He returned to SG without work and his REP was renewed for 1 year only. He then found a job in SG and at the end of the year, he was renewed for another 5 years.
Thank you - did he apply for REP while still outside Singapore or did he come back and apply while being physically in Singapore?

Thank you
Applied while in Singapore.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 2:32 pm

blessedone wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
ecureilx wrote: while I know a few whose REP was rejected since they spent more than 2 year of the 5 year out of Singapore, I met a Guy who was working in Brunei since his previous REP renewal, and has a house here, salary paid to his SG account, CPF paid here, and got it renewed recently.
How about Singapore and India?
Don't know but probably not a good combination. Why do you need PR if you're in India indefinitely is what the ICA will be wondering...

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 3:19 pm

There is nothing indefinite about the move at least in my mind. One moves for various reasons, like it or not, some have genuine issues like parents health and family needs.
So what should I do - stay put in singapore and sacrifice on some personal goals to keep my PR? thats not always an option.

I am staying this straight as I do know there are people who mis use the PRs by getting these in multiple countries and using this as an option but with global jobs and demands (personal and professional) not many can stay put - at least not in my profession

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 3:20 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Don't know but probably not a good combination. Why do you need PR if you're in India indefinitely is what the ICA will be wondering...
Advice and recco on having a "finality" attached to the move? does the current or future employer need to supply a letter?

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 6:19 pm

blessedone wrote:So what should I do - stay put in singapore and sacrifice on some personal goals to keep my PR? thats not always an option.
Well I think you have to keep in mind that PR stands for Permanent Residence.
blessedone wrote:I am staying this straight as I do know there are people who mis use the PRs by getting these in multiple countries and using this as an option but with global jobs and demands (personal and professional) not many can stay put - at least not in my profession
If you intend to stay out of Singapore for the foreseeable future, surely the reasonable thing to do would be to let your REP / PR lapse, and then if you want to move back there later on then you could re-apply? It does seem to me that you are not really intending to permanently reside in Singapore.
Be careful what you wish for

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 13 Aug 2014 10:17 pm

You don't have to stay in Singapore but neither does Singapore guarantee your PR renewal. For guaranteed rights of abode in Singapore you need to be an SC.

It's not only Singapore that does this - I know for a fact Australia does it to her PR's as well.

bluetopinkorblue

Post by bluetopinkorblue » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 10:41 am

i just moved back voluntarily asking my firm to transfer me back to singapore from london to keep my PR. spent 3 years in the latest REP renewal outside. got a renewal for 1 year this june (applied after returning)

singapore is tightening things up madly...