Singapore Expats

Renewal of entry permit - SPR - working in a foreign country

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 11:18 am

bluetopinkorblue wrote:i just moved back voluntarily asking my firm to transfer me back to singapore from london to keep my PR. spent 3 years in the latest REP renewal outside. got a renewal for 1 year this june (applied after returning)

singapore is tightening things up madly...
OP - see this advice? That's good advice.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 2:36 pm

PNGMK, that's been happening with some regularity for the past 3 years that I'm aware of. Usually, the 1 year is to allow they to get their affairs in order and to see if they are going to stay or not. I've not seen any yet that got a one year renewal renewed as per normal at the expiry of same. Not saying is hadn't happened, but only that the few cases I know of didn't get renewed after the one year renewal. Good luck to the OP. Hopefully they will have changed their stance. Working for the same company will probably be a benefit in the OP's favour though.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Fri, 15 Aug 2014 4:16 pm

bluetopinkorblue wrote:i just moved back voluntarily asking my firm to transfer me back to singapore from london to keep my PR. spent 3 years in the latest REP renewal outside. got a renewal for 1 year this june (applied after returning)

... And quite rightly too IMO; in fact I think you are lucky to have been given even a one year renewal in the current climate.

Do you intend to stay in Singapore now? Or did you only transfer back to get the REP renewal, with the intention to move back to London again? If the latter, what is the reason for wanting to keep the REP / PR?
Be careful what you wish for

bluetopinkorblue

Post by bluetopinkorblue » Mon, 18 Aug 2014 10:52 am

not fussed about the 1 year or x years i have been given. i have lived here for 11 years now (from 2000, came here on a scholarship for my undergrad, wife is the same case too). we like Singapore as our adult life has been spent here and most friends are here.

we speak tamil, which i feel is better appreciated in singapore than in india. i speak fluent chinese as well learnt during Uni and practiced over years.

as posted in another thread, we are looking at applying for a sc with family (us two + 1 son) to set up sg a base. that shouldnt mean we wouldnt go away to work or live overseas. we just dont want to lose our ties to sg, as we like this place.

Mi Amigo wrote:

... And quite rightly too IMO; in fact I think you are lucky to have been given even a one year renewal in the current climate.

Do you intend to stay in Singapore now? Or did you only transfer back to get the REP renewal, with the intention to move back to London again? If the latter, what is the reason for wanting to keep the REP / PR?

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:45 am

Thanks so much. one additional question - how many months were you physically present in singapore (Assuming you were earning and contributing to cpf) before rep renewal due date? 6 months? 1 year?

thanks.

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:50 am

Mi Amigo wrote: Do you intend to stay in Singapore now? Or did you only transfer back to get the REP renewal, with the intention to move back to London again? If the latter, what is the reason for wanting to keep the REP / PR?
Sir I have a "special" situation- not sure if India is the right place for me (there are many reasons for that but that will have to be a separate thread)
and given the career I am in, it was a toss between career and PR chances in 2014-2015-2016.

Unfortunately for some of us, we would like to buy a couple of more years to get sold on/by the concept of slow career growth and aspirations vs anything else to settle down here. in my case it isnt even an option

and while there are some thriving industries here in SG, there are some like IT/Finance that require global movement to ensure career progression.

The intent is there but being stationed physically in the same/different company in SG for 5 years is not practical and doable sometimes.

So when you do question, and rightly so, there is this alternative and rather pathetic choice that comes into play for some of us - pls note :)

blessedone
Regular
Regular

Post by blessedone » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:53 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:PNGMK, that's been happening with some regularity for the past 3 years that I'm aware of. Usually, the 1 year is to allow they to get their affairs in order and to see if they are going to stay or not. I've not seen any yet that got a one year renewal renewed as per normal at the expiry of same. Not saying is hadn't happened, but only that the few cases I know of didn't get renewed after the one year renewal. Good luck to the OP. Hopefully they will have changed their stance. Working for the same company will probably be a benefit in the OP's favour though.
So I personally know of one case. In singapore, became PR (indian single female) went out of the country for 4 years, came back got REP renewed (v v v low salary) for a year, finally got the rep renewed for 5 years

pls note this was before the riots and before "Indian" became a bad word for ICA.

bluetopinkorblue

Post by bluetopinkorblue » Wed, 20 Aug 2014 2:47 pm

PR expiry in august. came back in june and applied for renewal before the first salary. they ask you questions like where are you currently working. which in my case was singapore. they obviously access to all your details.

mine was completely online. their algorithm found all inputs for calculating as the extension for 1 year was given in exactly 8 minutes after application!!!

this is the efficiency i missed in london :)
blessedone wrote:

Thanks so much. one additional question - how many months were you physically present in singapore (Assuming you were earning and contributing to cpf) before rep renewal due date? 6 months? 1 year?

thanks.