Singapore Expats

Am I eligible for expatriate?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
melissachua

Am I eligible for expatriate?

Post by melissachua » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 11:56 am

Pardon my naive questions.

I am a Malaysian who is currently pursuing postgraduate studies in Australia. I intend to work in the pharmaceutical industries in Singapore upon graduation. I am single, hence moving alone.

Expatriate seems to be a lucrative package. But how do I qualify for it? If I work in an MNC in Australia for a couple of months, would I even qualify to ask for a transfer to Singapore? Considering that I'm not an Australian national.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Re: Am I eligible for expatriate?

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 1:19 pm

melissachua wrote:Pardon my naive questions.

I am a Malaysian who is currently pursuing postgraduate studies in Australia. I intend to work in the pharmaceutical industries in Singapore upon graduation. I am single, hence moving alone.

Expatriate seems to be a lucrative package. But how do I qualify for it? If I work in an MNC in Australia for a couple of months, would I even qualify to ask for a transfer to Singapore? Considering that I'm not an Australian national.
I either don't understand your question, or you don't understand your own question.

Are you under the impression that by being an "expat" from another country you automatically get a better employment package? If that is the case, you're wrong. It comes down to each individual employer and employee and how well you can negotiate. Employers sometimes pay relocation costs and/or "expat" packages for those moving to take employment, but this is nromally for those under "hardship" and/or really worth the money. Malaysia to Singapore is not "hardship" (by any means). And if you're still in school, you're probably not in possession of some amazing skill that would justify a great expat package.

If I completely misunderstood your question and you actually asked something logical and I flubbed it, I apologize.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 9:46 pm

Expatriate comes from Latin "ex"="outside of" and "patria"="homeland".
The average expatriate in Singapore earns far less than the average local - only a selected few on higher employment passes (a.k.a. "foreign talent") earns more, some much more.
What are your skills and experiences that are needed in Singapore and thus justify paying you a lot?
(And for your information: The stereotypical "Expat Package" with high salary, housing and other incidental expenses paid and then some more, is almost a thing of the past - and rightly so!)

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 8:10 am

beppi wrote:Expatriate comes from Latin "ex"="outside of" and "patria"="homeland".
The average expatriate in Singapore earns far less than the average local - only a selected few on higher employment passes (a.k.a. "foreign talent") earns more, some much more.

(And for your information: The stereotypical "Expat Package" with high salary, housing and other incidental expenses paid and then some more, is almost a thing of the past - and rightly so!)
Yup. Most "expats" in Singapore are only expatriates on that technical definition.

A more timely term is "migrant worker."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 9:27 am

The word "expatriate" and "package" are not one of the same.

One word can exist without the other word.

As explained by other posters before me, the fact that you are working away from your homeland makes you an expat.

I guess from your post, you're seeking information on "package". If that's the case, you can only get a package if, I may put it bluntly, your company in Singapore makes so much money that they will pay for everything for you (relocation, accommodation, car, children's education etc), AND, if you are very special with a very rare and niche skillset that companies are fighting to have you.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 9:53 am

On a related topic, just got info from couple of my friends that the Indian software giant TCS pays rental and school education for Indians IT professionals they bring here.

The rental allowance is very unique and brilliant.
If your monthly rent is $1500 or less the company pays $800
If your monthly rent is $1800-$2300 the company pays $500
If your monthly rent is above $2300 the company pays nothing.

This strategy is brilliant because it incentivies(not sure if the word and spelling are correct) people who try to rent lower. I wish more companies do this and that could potentially drive the rents lower.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Post by AngMoG » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:25 am

Wd40 wrote:On a related topic, just got info from couple of my friends that the Indian software giant TCS pays rental and school education for Indians IT professionals they bring here.

This strategy is brilliant because it incentivies(not sure if the word and spelling are correct) people who try to rent lower. I wish more companies do this and that could potentially drive the rents lower.
It incentivizes them renting a room instead of an apartment, last I checked prices in Singapore. The schema is good, but the price ranges need to be updated.

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 8:41 pm

I'd suggest any country but Singapore for a MYC to get an expat package. You're too close to home. Go somewhere hard and risky (Lagos) or very expensive and difficult for other Aussies to get to (China? with your chinese?).

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 12:32 am

Wd40 wrote:On a related topic, just got info from couple of my friends that the Indian software giant TCS pays rental and school education for Indians IT professionals they bring here.

I've heard TCS and Infosys do something similar in the US. The problem of course is that their salary is still so low by local standards (some say even Indian salary + small per diem + rent) that to local Americans it is a joke.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 7:44 am

zzm9980 wrote:

I've heard TCS and Infosys do something similar in the US. The problem of course is that their salary is still so low by local standards (some say even Indian salary + small per diem + rent) that to local Americans it is a joke.
An Indian software company rents a "Grace and Favors" apartment in my condo. They have an incentivization policy to force tenants out into the rental market.... after 4 weeks the tenant is fined $100 every week for staying (cumulatively). I think they must have had some real problems before to be this aggressive.

Week 1 - $100
Week 2 - $200
Week 3 - $300
Week 4 - $400 (i.e. total additional cost for one month is $1000 but by week 8 much, much more).

The tenants move on pretty quick - obviously it becomes very costly, very quickly. I've had problems moving employees on from this sort of company apartment and thought the solution was cruel, but brilliant.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 8:58 am

PNGMK wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:

An Indian software company rents a "Grace and Favors" apartment in my condo. They have an incentivization policy to force tenants out into the rental market.... after 4 weeks the tenant is fined $100 every week for staying (cumulatively). I think they must have had some real problems before to be this aggressive.

Week 1 - $100
Week 2 - $200
Week 3 - $300
Week 4 - $400 (i.e. total additional cost for one month is $1000 but by week 8 much, much more).

The tenants move on pretty quick - obviously it becomes very costly, very quickly. I've had problems moving employees on from this sort of company apartment and thought the solution was cruel, but brilliant.
I like it.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 12 Aug 2014 10:28 am

zzm9980 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I've heard TCS and Infosys do something similar in the US. The problem of course is that their salary is still so low by local standards (some say even Indian salary + small per diem + rent) that to local Americans it is a joke.

Week 1 - $100
Week 2 - $200
Week 3 - $300

I like it.
Yeah - the Bulgarian lady explaining it to me was on a short term assignment and the clause didn't apply to her (only long term transferees) but she said if it wasn't for that clause she was sure there'd be 20 employees and their relatives in the place. She's seen a few already try to get around it but the company was paying the cleaner or maid to report back on who was in there.