Singapore Expats

Facebook Messenger: Cause for paranoia?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 09 Aug 2014 5:19 pm

x9200 wrote:
aster wrote:http://thebull.cbslocal.com/2014/08/07/ ... enger-app/

Seems like the new app is really messing with our privacy...
I was never a big fan of FB. I use it on a PC only with very limited inputs from my side, but for me they crossed the line already 2-3y ago when I saw an advertisement as it was coming from me. I don't remember the details but it was sort of like me recommending something to someone and of course I had never done it. A plain lie.
Interesting - did it have anything to do with something you Like-d?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 09 Aug 2014 11:59 pm

No, it's all stuff SMS's link covered. Facebook Messenger app can do all of the same shit Facebook's original app did. If you installed that you're not giving up any more privacy by installing the Messenger than you already have. The difference is most people probably just clicked right through the warnings because they installed it so long ago.

And this only applies to Android. Everyone likes to poo-poo on apple for being a big brother with their walled garden. Well, this is the kind of thing they're "protecting" you from.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 1:02 am

Brah wrote:
x9200 wrote:

I was never a big fan of FB. I use it on a PC only with very limited inputs from my side, but for me they crossed the line already 2-3y ago when I saw an advertisement as it was coming from me. I don't remember the details but it was sort of like me recommending something to someone and of course I had never done it. A plain lie.
Not sure, if it is related. But something similar. My friend liked the Qoo10 website and now every now and then I see an ad as if my friend is recommending a specific product being sold on Qoo10. So sometimes, you may like a page and after that that particular company will keep showing ads to your friends, as if you are endorsing all their products.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 10:10 am

Brah wrote:
x9200 wrote:

Again, very vaguely remembered and not sure if correct, I think it was something related to some artist (a pop group I had never heard before?) performance, and the only link I could come up with was that I pasted some photos from the Roxette concert in Singapore or liked Nancy Sinatra.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 12:59 pm

x9200 wrote:
Brah wrote:
x9200 wrote: I was never a big fan of FB. I use it on a PC only with very limited inputs from my side, but for me they crossed the line already 2-3y ago when I saw an advertisement as it was coming from me. I don't remember the details but it was sort of like me recommending something to someone and of course I had never done it. A plain lie.
Again, very vaguely remembered and not sure if correct, I think it was something related to some artist (a pop group I had never heard before?) performance, and the only link I could come up with was that I pasted some photos from the Roxette concert in Singapore or liked Nancy Sinatra.
Did you possibly buy tickets from some online outlet and that was the same outlet promoting the performance? All of those Facebook "Like" buttons you see everywhere can track these actions even if you don't click it.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sun, 10 Aug 2014 6:35 pm

I don't click anything FB outside FB and I don't use any FB applications, but regardless, I have never recommended this group or whatever it was.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 8:47 am

Since the privacy concerns are just the same as before Facebook made a separate messenger apps, I see no problem. But I am really not keen to install ANOTHER app to complete the experience of ONE app.

If it wasn't for 99.99% of my friends and family members all over the world connecting to each other using Facebook, I would have kissed it goodbye long time ago.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 10:12 am

Why don't you use a standard android www browser to access?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 10:55 am

x9200 wrote:Why don't you use a standard android www browser to access?
Wouldn't the Android browser take you to the m.facebook.com version instead? It would still bother you with a page that asks you to download the app version and also the accompanying messenger app.

Anyway it is not in high priority. My friends and family can use Whatsapp or Hangout, call or text etc if they really need to get hold of me.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 11 Aug 2014 11:09 am

The android browser, you go to "Messages" tab and send/receive messages, but I guess it doesnt feel as synchronous as the chat. Also you cant see whos online, unless you go to their message box.