Singapore Expats

No NS liable PR who renounced status allowed work or study

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

No NS liable PR who renounced status allowed work or study

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 1:03 am

From Asia's number One news Portal ...

Minister for Defence Ng Eng Hen has said that no NS-liable permanent resident (PR) who renounced his PR status before serving National Service (NS) had been granted approval to study or work here for the last 10 years. -

I am fairly sure I have read in some threads here whereby folk had renounced to avoid NS then got back in on an EP.

If that is the case then someone is telling porkies
Life is short, paddle harder!!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 6:51 am

The key here is in what he didn't say.

None have done so in the last 10 years, but he didn't say that they cannot. The Gahment NEVER closes any doors, but keeps them either ajar or unlocked so they can make a u-turn if necessary. He didn't say they "cannot" but only that none have been approved. Big difference.

However, something I said on here a number of years ago, that was poo-poo'ed at the time by some of the regulars he has now confirmed. (A "I told you so" moment?)
Dr Ng said that according to records, no such persons have been granted re-instatement of PR or citizenship. He added that the policy has been progressively tightened such that no NS-liable PR who renounced his PR status in the last decade has been granted approval for work or study.

For former PRs who fail to serve NS, any immediate or future applications for renewal of their parents' and immediate family members' Re-Entry Permits may be adversely affected, including curtailment of the Re-Entry Permit.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 5:09 pm

Indeed, SMS, and I'm sure we've seen numerous examples on here over the years of people who've tried to have their cake and eat it - only to come a cropper in the end.

Didn't the old man once say something about him (and by extension, the gahmen) having a VERY long memory?
Be careful what you wish for

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 5:21 pm

Yep, sure did. They are worse than a Pontianak determined to haunt someplace.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 5:31 pm

(i know Barnsley had posted this in here earlier today, but i cross posted it, with actual press release and paper article, inside Strictly Speaking for future reference by other members who may be looking for answers.)
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 6:30 pm

taxico wrote:(i know Barnsley had posted this in here earlier today, but i cross posted it, with actual press release and paper article, inside Strictly Speaking for future reference by other members who may be looking for answers.)
Cheers Dude , I am unsure on the rules on posting articles , so I was just being vague.

Maybe Admin can merge this one into yours??
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Kamikaze

Re: No NS liable PR who renounced status allowed work or study

Post by Kamikaze » Tue, 13 Mar 2018 4:52 am