Singapore Expats

Bus rage .....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Bus rage .....

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 10:05 am

On way to work this morning just witnessed my first bus rage ....

Poor lady on the sharp end of it looked terrified.

Judging by the English that was being screamed I am guessing the aggressor was from China. She eventually ran out of English and started with the non-English stuff, as I am not sure she knew any English swear words to get her point across.

Sadly I wasnt in a position to tell her to shut it as it was down the bus and opposite side from me.

Other than getting phone out and posting it to STOMP what is the SOP when witnessing something like this?

Do you you step in, or just leave it alone?

The lady on the receiving end is a regular on my morning bus to work so will speak to her tomorrow and find out what happened. I wouldnt want to fall foul of one of these shouty types by accident. :shock: :o :o :o :D
Life is short, paddle harder!!

nakatago

Re: Bus rage .....

Post by nakatago » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 10:11 am

Barnsley wrote:Other than getting phone out and posting it to STOMP what is the SOP when witnessing something like this?
Loudly exclaim that you see the cops coming.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 12:32 pm

I thought you were referring to this: http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/no-title-29

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 9:55 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I thought you were referring to this: http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/no-title-29
Interesting, I just overheard a guy I don't know at work talking about this, he was on it

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 2:35 am

I have witnessed a few such flare-ups' in buses here. One grumpy old man screamed at me cause I offered him a seat, he said he was physically fit and didn't need a seat, so much for showing elderly people some kindness.

on a side note: why do people hesitate to occupy seats in which one faces another? People go out of the way to avoid such seats cause they don't want to make eye contact with a stranger.
they also sit on the aisle seat leaving the window seat empty and sit in some guarding position wary of anyone wanting to occupy the window seat, it seems a bit uninviting and unfriendly and people tend to stand than sit next to such people.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Wed, 06 Aug 2014 10:36 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:on a side note: why do people hesitate to occupy seats in which one faces another?
People also don't seem to like sitting in the rear-facing seats, which happen to be my seats of choice due to local bus drivers' inclination to heavy braking.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 9:05 am

aster wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:on a side note: why do people hesitate to occupy seats in which one faces another?
People also don't seem to like sitting in the rear-facing seats, which happen to be my seats of choice due to local bus drivers' inclination to heavy braking.
Maybe some people, like me, find sitting rear-facing gives them dizziness. I'm easily car-sick so yes, I'd be the last person to sit there if I could.

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 9:37 am

How you brake tells me who you are

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 10:30 am

martincymru wrote:How you brake tells me who you are
elaborate please, I'm curious to know more.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 10:31 am

aster wrote:
I am not the tallest , but seats facing each other dont leave much leg room to share if you are above average height.

Why did the bus folks go for this layout of seats, I am assuming they had a choice?

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 10:38 am

Barnsley wrote:
aster wrote:
I am not the tallest , but seats facing each other dont leave much leg room to share if you are above average height.

Why did the bus folks go for this layout of seats, I am assuming they had a choice?

yes I agree, they aren't designed very well for leg space for people with a height of say 175cms or more.
also some of these double deckers have some weird seating too, especially the one with the church pews and almost no leg room or place to put a bag between your feet.

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 10:41 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I have witnessed a few such flare-ups' in buses here. One grumpy old man screamed at me cause I offered him a seat, he said he was physically fit and didn't need a seat, so much for showing elderly people some kindness.
Have never seen an elderly person do this, but can imagine it happening.
It is sad that some people can be so rude, worse yet when you're trying to be polite.
Seems silly to be so resentful, turning to hostility instead of using humour, which would actually get their point across more effectively.
Don't let it stop you from showing kindness to others.
rajagainstthemachine wrote:on a side note: why do people hesitate to occupy seats in which one faces another? People go out of the way to avoid such seats cause they don't want to make eye contact with a stranger.
It's quite natural to avoid making direct eye contact with strangers.
It can disrupt one's thoughts and is essentially giving up control of the situation. Have found that a subtle smile followed by a quick glance away can help defuse the tension.

Curiously, had the exact opposite happen a few days ago.
Sat in a nearly empty coach.
A young lady sat 2 seats to right on the opposite side, then slid over, first one seat, then another to where she was directly opposite.
Must have been something about that seat- it certainly wasn't anything about me, as she was very aloof during the rest of the ride.
Must have annoyed her that I was already sitting in the seat opposite to where she wanted to sit.
rajagainstthemachine wrote:they also sit on the aisle seat leaving the window seat empty and sit in some guarding position wary of anyone wanting to occupy the window seat, it seems a bit uninviting and unfriendly and people tend to stand than sit next to such people.
Some find it troublesome to try get out from the window seat, so they sit in the aisle seat for an easier exit.
They also don't want to be bothered to get up to let someone else in.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 11:43 am

kaseyma wrote: Curiously, had the exact opposite happen a few days ago.
Keeping out of the sun?

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 11:54 am

kaseyma wrote: Some find it troublesome to try get out from the window seat, so they sit in the aisle seat for an easier exit.
They also don't want to be bothered to get up to let someone else in.
Its only troublesome if you use that stupid "swing technique" , if you just stand up and let the person inside you get out then its not the least bit troublesome.

:x :x :x

kaseyma
Chatter
Chatter

Post by kaseyma » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 12:03 pm

JR8 wrote:
kaseyma wrote: Curiously, had the exact opposite happen a few days ago.
Keeping out of the sun?
Yep.
Too bright up there.
Smoother, quicker ride down below.

Many, if not most, have their eyes focused on their mobile devices.
Can observe without being seen.