Singapore Expats

junked cycles chained to posts

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

junked cycles chained to posts

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 2:40 pm

I've seen scores of junked cycles chained to posts, they look presumably abandoned, missing a tire, front basket full of rubbish and/or deflated tires and often rusty chains and looks untouched for a long long time.
some of them can be fixed and made usable again, seems bizarre to leave it out to rust in the open.
Has anyone else noticed them?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 2:52 pm

Yes, many many around the Toa Payoh area. Forgotten and neglected they look so sad :-(

I expect at some point to see signs going up warning people to do something with the rust heaps or the chains will be cut and the bikes taken away!!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 3:37 pm

The quality of the average "neighbourhood" bike in Singapore is appaling - and only those can be found abandoned at MRT stations and elsewhere.
Not worth the effort of fixing, or even taking off parts!
(Better bicycles don't stay there for long.)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 3:49 pm

beppi wrote:The quality of the average "neighbourhood" bike in Singapore is appaling - and only those can be found abandoned at MRT stations and elsewhere.
Not worth the effort of fixing, or even taking off parts!
(Better bicycles don't stay there for long.)
True. Normally those bicycles left chained to poles and railings belong to the labour workers as they can only afford very cheap, low-quality bicycles, probably second or even third-handed.

And when these bicycles are left chained, it is usually because the owners are no longer around any more...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 3:49 pm

I don't understand the culture of chaining a bicycle and leaving it to die there, so can the general public strip the bicycle of these parts if they deem it usable without incurring any punishment ?

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 4:58 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:I don't understand the culture of chaining a bicycle and leaving it to die there, so can the general public strip the bicycle of these parts if they deem it usable without incurring any punishment ?
Of course, but you might feature on one of those crime notice boards. :)

I've seen many a bike which should have been scrapped long ago being ridden, so some of your abandon bikes could well be someones transport.

But yes I've seen many of those bikes you refer to. There were quite a few in the ORQ bike park, since removed. I used to lock my bike to one if all the spaces were taken.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 5:01 pm

There goes my idea of Singapore junk yard wars

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 04 Aug 2014 5:21 pm

i don't remember how/where i got the impression, but that unwanted bicycles can be "claimed" by applying to the police first...

i believe i was told of this by a scrap metal dealer a long time ago. wwhether or not the rules have changed since then, i am unsure.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 6:44 am

I think those bicycles were whole when they were chained there. But then someone nicked the tires. And when the owner came back, "Aw, f*ck it" and just left it there.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 7:42 am

I think majority of the abandoned bicycles are because owners no longer care about them. Its not occupying space in their own house, so why bother? Typical Singaporean attitude. The cycles are also rusty and deflated and its a pain to sell them.

I have seen cycles in terrible condition even outside HDBs of many houses at higher floors. Some Singaporeans don't want to throw anything away, they would rather let it rot outside their house than to give it away or throw it away.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 12:43 pm

nakatago wrote:I think those bicycles were whole when they were chained there. But then someone nicked the tires. And when the owner came back, "Aw, f*ck it" and just left it there.
this ^^^ is why most bicycles get abandoned!!!

periodically the authorities used to remove them after posting a warning notice, not sure if they do that anymore

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 05 Aug 2014 1:16 pm

some guy made this!

Return to “General Discussions”