Singapore Expats

myrepublic opinion

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 3:35 am

aster wrote:ViewQwest has the same, allows you to use Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc. from here without any additional IP-masking on your end. They call it Freedom VPN and it's all automatic when you access certain sites.

In general VQ and MR seem to offer the same. The latter has lots more users it seems due to some previous promo.
The only reason I chose MR was because at the time their website was much more clear on which plans had no contracts and which ones did. VQ didn't clearly state. Also, I think MR had more sales booths in heartland malls. VQ only had one at Sim Lim.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 12:08 pm

zzm9980 wrote:The only reason I chose MR was because at the time their website was much more clear on which plans had no contracts and which ones did. VQ didn't clearly state. Also, I think MR had more sales booths in heartland malls. VQ only had one at Sim Lim.
I went with VQ simply because MR was literally signing up users like there was no tomorrow. It was complete mayhem when their low-price offer came out with like a 1.5 mth waiting time.

Not sure if the number of subscribers has an effect on peak-time bandwidth? If it does then VQ is good in that it's core business is actually focused on business customers.

Semar

Post by Semar » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 6:25 pm

Also went with ViewQwest and am happy with their service so far. Good speed, and very little down time. Their Freedom VPN works well, but I prefer to use Unotelly.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 9:46 pm

Semar wrote:Their Freedom VPN works well, but I prefer to use Unotelly.
Both are there to just kick-start the likes of Netflix. Once you play a movie there is no difference in speed as Netflix only does an IP check upon launch.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 4:30 am

Semar wrote:Also went with ViewQwest and am happy with their service so far. Good speed, and very little down time. Their Freedom VPN works well, but I prefer to use Unotelly.
Why? In theory they do the same exact thing. Using unotelly requires a manual configuration on your part (setting a new DNS server on a device or router's DHCPd), along with the occasional authentication. Just curious what you've found better given they should be identical service yet different amounts of effort (zero vs greater than zero)

curiousgeorge
Reporter
Reporter

Post by curiousgeorge » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 6:16 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Semar wrote:Also went with ViewQwest and am happy with their service so far. Good speed, and very little down time. Their Freedom VPN works well, but I prefer to use Unotelly.
Why? In theory they do the same exact thing. Using unotelly requires a manual configuration on your part (setting a new DNS server on a device or router's DHCPd), along with the occasional authentication. Just curious what you've found better given they should be identical service yet different amounts of effort (zero vs greater than zero)
Xtube I would imagine.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:02 am

curiousgeorge wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Xtube I would imagine.
Does Xtube block people geographically located in Singapore? Or is MICA blocking it for everyone in Singapore? If the later, you'd need a VPN.

Or are you just being facetious :p

Semar

Post by Semar » Tue, 26 Aug 2014 2:26 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Why? In theory they do the same exact thing. Using unotelly requires a manual configuration on your part (setting a new DNS server on a device or router's DHCPd), along with the occasional authentication. Just curious what you've found better given they should be identical service yet different amounts of effort (zero vs greater than zero)
It's not tied to my ISP, so I can use the service on the go, and it's cheaper (80SGD p.a. vs 130).