Singapore Expats

myrepublic opinion

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
taxico
Director
Director

myrepublic opinion

Post by taxico » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 7:11 pm

i've been waiting close to 4 months now to get wired up... and i'm still waiting... i'm not sure if it's ever gonna happen.

is their 1gbps service worth waiting so long for?

my backup is to use a starhub 100mbps service... i loathe them.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:34 pm

The thing is you're not waiting on My Republic, but on OpenNet. They do all of the last-mile fiber for all of Singapore. You'll have the same problem with any fiber ISP if your residence isn't already wired. The other guys are just lying if they tell you there won't be a delay. There will be, you just won't know about it until you commit.

And yes, MyRepubic fiber will be worth the wait compared to Starhub's cable service,

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 1:04 pm

okay, good to know. i'll just keep waiting then...

thanks!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 2:51 pm

I've had MR since last October and have not had one glitch yet. About once a month I run a speednet test and the throughput always slightly exceeds the 150/75 I'm paying for. The Gig arrives sometime soon too. Great stuff!

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 1:05 am

Tanuki wrote:About once a month I run a speednet test and the throughput always slightly exceeds the 150/75 I'm paying for. The Gig arrives sometime soon too. Great stuff!
Let me guess, you are just doing a speedtest to your ISP, right?

That's the problem here, all those deals we're seeing with various providers are simply marketing tricks and nothing else. You actually think that 1000mbps internet speeds are happening? NOPE.

All you're getting is 1000mbps to your local speedtest server located here. These are simply islandwide speeds, not true internet speeds.

Give me a 100mpbs package in Europe over any of these mis-sold, falsely-marketed 1000mbps plans. Don't even think of paying for the top packages, just get the 500 or 300 fibre package and save yourself some money.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 2:29 am

aster wrote:
Tanuki wrote:About once a month I run a speednet test and the throughput always slightly exceeds the 150/75 I'm paying for. The Gig arrives sometime soon too. Great stuff!
Let me guess, you are just doing a speedtest to your ISP, right?

That's the problem here, all those deals we're seeing with various providers are simply marketing tricks and nothing else. You actually think that 1000mbps internet speeds are happening? NOPE.

All you're getting is 1000mbps to your local speedtest server located here. These are simply islandwide speeds, not true internet speeds.

Give me a 100mpbs package in Europe over any of these mis-sold, falsely-marketed 1000mbps plans. Don't even think of paying for the top packages, just get the 500 or 300 fibre package and save yourself some money.
This is mostly true. You're only going to get ~30-40 mb/sec to anywhere off the Island with almost any ISP. The only exception to consider is that any content which comes from a CDN will come down at full speeds as most CDNs have a presence in Singapore. So your Youtube, Facebook, Akamai (Apple iTunes/AppStore video, etc) will benefit from the higher speed. If a lot of your data comes from these kinds of CDNs it will help.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 2:44 am

As you mentioned, YouTube and the likes of Netflix work without a hitch, though technically Netflix recommends something like just 5mbps for HD content.

Apart from CNDs all those voodoo speeds hit a reality wall once you go beyond the island. Even the ISPs will state that there is some throttling beyond their control so the only way to make use of the full bandwidth is to do multiple bit-torrent downloads or use a download manager to pull loads of files simultaneously. I never play around with such stuff and most people probably don't either, so it's annoying that the speeds being marketed are not genuine.

Then there's latency too, but that's another issue altogether. :)

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 1:09 pm

aster wrote: Let me guess, you are just doing a speedtest to your ISP, right?

I never indicated anything that would assume 1 Gig throughput off the island. If I was in LA, I wouldn't get that from Seattle either. That's just the physics of TCP/IP based on distance. What I get is capacity, and that's what bandwidth is anyhow. Why are you running this down when it's a mere $5 upgrade from 150 mbps? I currently get throughput peaks of 140 mbps as it is, so it's all working as advertised so far. Don't worry, be happy!

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 7:02 pm

I'm just saying that marketing standards here are a joke. And those plans would never be marketed as 1000mbps in Europe or the US because that is simply not what you are getting.

Fibre is by definition fast so companies are simply showing that technically you are connected to them via a cable that can allow for 1000mpbs. But to market such speeds as real internet plans is just silly.

Of course it does create some funny scenes when you see Singaporeans brag about how great their internet speeds are - some even vow that they must be the fastest in the world today. :)

Tanuki
Regular
Regular

Post by Tanuki » Thu, 07 Aug 2014 7:30 pm

aster wrote:I'm just saying that marketing standards here are a joke. And those plans would never be marketed as 1000mbps in Europe or the US because that is simply not what you are getting.

Fibre is by definition fast so companies are simply showing that technically you are connected to them via a cable that can allow for 1000mpbs. But to market such speeds as real internet plans is just silly.

Of course it does create some funny scenes when you see Singaporeans brag about how great their internet speeds are - some even vow that they must be the fastest in the world today. :)
Well, having come out of Seattle last summer, Singapore can brag about being able to at least afford gigabit, regardless of what it really might be. I think a nice house is less expensive than gig in the states. Singapore is already behind on it though. Tokyo has 2 gig for 5000 yen a month. Time to tell us it's 5 gig next year!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 08 Aug 2014 1:22 am

aster wrote: And those plans would never be marketed as 1000mbps in Europe or the US because that is simply not what you are getting.
You've never been to the US or looked at any of its advertising I take it.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sat, 09 Aug 2014 1:18 am

zzm9980 wrote:You've never been to the US or looked at any of its advertising I take it.
Actually I lived there. :) Advertising quality is quite low, especially today when you look at some of the stuff being dished out from Hulu for instance, but what they do here with these internet plans is like advertising that Singapore has the biggest condos in the world, and then throwing out some stat like a 200m average but failing to write that for some miraculous reason this number referred to m3 and not m2. :)

ysogrumpy

Post by ysogrumpy » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:37 am

Considering MyRepublic as well in my condo which is pre-wired for fibre. Seems like feedback is quite positive. Anyone aware of how their Teleport actually works and if it's smooth for streaming?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 1:10 am

ysogrumpy wrote:Considering MyRepublic as well in my condo which is pre-wired for fibre. Seems like feedback is quite positive. Anyone aware of how their Teleport actually works and if it's smooth for streaming?
I used it and it worked perfectly for every streaming service they listed on their website. I used it with an AppleTV and didn't have to do anything special at all. Just turned it on, and everything worked.

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 3:18 am

ViewQwest has the same, allows you to use Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc. from here without any additional IP-masking on your end. They call it Freedom VPN and it's all automatic when you access certain sites.

In general VQ and MR seem to offer the same. The latter has lots more users it seems due to some previous promo.