Singapore Expats Forum

does ica still accept walk-in applications for citizenship

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
here4good

Postby here4good » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:47 am

@bluetopinkorblue:
"had a re-look at the website: online is applicable for both citizens and PRs (citizens meaning, applying for their spouse or their kids etc)"

--> I applied for my spouse and I did walk-in instead of waiting online.

@zzm9980:
I guess you making these comments about others making "useless" comments is how you worked upto 5744 posts? That is your idea of contribution?

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 12:46 pm

here4good wrote:@bluetopinkorblue:
"had a re-look at the website: online is applicable for both citizens and PRs (citizens meaning, applying for their spouse or their kids etc)"

--> I applied for my spouse and I did walk-in instead of waiting online.

@zzm9980:
I guess you making these comments about others making "useless" comments is how you worked upto 5744 posts? That is your idea of contribution?

I would suggest you take a look at how we and regulars do things around here first before accusing anyone of being not helpful. We have loose guidelines but we run a tight ship. People are free (within limits) to comment on anyone's posts. It's not a strictly contribution-only forum unless it's on the 'Strictly Speaking' section.

zzm has proven his worth over time but you've only been here a few months. It's baffling when newbies come here and demand that people only reply with posts they want to hear. Oh yes, we've had people here who tell others they're not contributing if posts are not in their favor.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 2:04 pm

Apologize if you people(?) actually took offense, but half of your conversations look like they're written by chat bots.

here4good

Postby here4good » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 4:17 pm

@nakatago and zzm9980:

So your useful contributions allow you to make snide remarks about new joiners? I have been taught that one would be held in higher regard if they did not harp on their contribution - it dilutes it, in my humble opinion.

Noone appreciates been taken pot shots at and interestingly I have seen this before. I think new comers tend to do that too (as in not being grateful to the contributors) but then the seniors are also bunching all the new comers into one category.

Also, I did not take offense but I would like to highlight that if this forum allowed a few "random" conversations, it would be OK. I understand that a lot of this is not useful (like how long did your take/what is your profile) but being human, it does pacify some of us who are waiting on a response from the ICA.

Also, if you think this forum belongs only to the "seniors" - it seems a bit shortsighted.

ful babu
Regular
Regular

Postby ful babu » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 8:09 pm

zzm9980 wrote:This thread is hilarious.

A bunch of very new posters all showing up at the same time to talk nonsense and collect postcount so they can PM. :)

don't care about pm, i might have lower post count but i joined before you .

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 8:45 pm

here4good wrote:@nakatago and zzm9980:

So your useful contributions allow you to make snide remarks about new joiners? I have been taught that one would be held in higher regard if they did not harp on their contribution - it dilutes it, in my humble opinion.

Noone appreciates been taken pot shots at and interestingly I have seen this before. I think new comers tend to do that too (as in not being grateful to the contributors) but then the seniors are also bunching all the new comers into one category.

Also, I did not take offense but I would like to highlight that if this forum allowed a few "random" conversations, it would be OK. I understand that a lot of this is not useful (like how long did your take/what is your profile) but being human, it does pacify some of us who are waiting on a response from the ICA.

Also, if you think this forum belongs only to the "seniors" - it seems a bit shortsighted.

Do not attribute words I did not say. You're entitled to your opinion and I will defend your right to voice them, within legal and moral limits.

I will, however, call you out if you start claiming other people are saying things they did not say...or saying a forum you just joined is supposed to be a certain way.

It would be like just landing in Singapore and saying that the MRT should allow durians on board because of so-and-so reasons. You're free to say so but as soon as you say they should because it's Singaporean, you better learn first how things work in the country before claiming you know what is Singaporean or not.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 9:52 pm

ful babu wrote:

A bunch of very new posters all showing up at the same time to talk nonsense and collect postcount so they can PM. :)

are we getting prizes now for how long we've been on here?

i think i gotta find my long forgotten 2004 singaporeexpats account and start queuing up for the hello kitty dolls or whatever it is someone is handing out free to old timers...

i'm next in line after babu!
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

ful babu
Regular
Regular

Postby ful babu » Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:30 pm

taxico wrote:
ful babu wrote:

are we getting prizes now for how long we've been on here?

i think i gotta find my long forgotten 2004 singaporeexpats account and start queuing up for the hello kitty dolls or whatever it is someone is handing out free to old timers...

i'm next in line after babu!

take my whatever as well taxico , i don't want them.

i admit i am a leech , read only and never reply (not an expert enough) but that doesn't mean i am post count hungry ... :?

here4good

Postby here4good » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 1:01 am

@nakatago

So the "seniors" are allowed to make discerning remarks and yet the newbies are not allowed the same privilege? I have been here long enough so I need not and do not need life lessons on how to manage my time/life in Singapore. I have assimilated in Singapore and I do not need you to advise me - thanks for your 2 cents though.

If you wish to run this forum in this manner, that is your prerogative but it would do no harm in treating everybody with respect. Has there been anything useful achieved by zzm9980 making that comment in the first place? Should you not advise him? Oh wait, he can do as he pleases since he has contributed in the past... Right.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 2:00 am

here4good wrote:@nakatago

So the "seniors" are allowed to make discerning remarks and yet the newbies are not allowed the same privilege? I have been here long enough so I need not and do not need life lessons on how to manage my time/life in Singapore. I have assimilated in Singapore and I do not need you to advise me - thanks for your 2 cents though.

If you wish to run this forum in this manner, that is your prerogative but it would do no harm in treating everybody with respect. Has there been anything useful achieved by zzm9980 making that comment in the first place? Should you not advise him? Oh wait, he can do as he pleases since he has contributed in the past... Right.

Ok, so are you saying I should be "punished" or something? Get the f- over it. Dozens upon dozens of spam-threads get deleted every day that you probably don't see. They're always a small group (1-3) random posters with almost no post count starting conversations in broken English about nonsense with fluff.

Sorry if this mostly content-free thread which turned into a bunch of gabbing about "whats ur profile" "oh thanks" made me think it was a spammers warm-up.

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 2:00 am

here4good wrote:@nakatago

i like it here because i feel free to type as i please.

you know... you're free to say whatever you want too, within limits (legal reasons, etc). if you don't like what you see, walk away if you don't want to do something about it.

(whining and protesting about your perception isn't really "doing something," i think)

there are things the older (both sense of that word) members here i don't agree with, and for sure heads have butted over it. at the end of the day, i have never felt any particular person/groups of persons were out to make life difficult for others - that defeats the purpose of this forum and why we come here.

if i wanted to be part of an exclusive club, put people down and/or sneer at others (as i think you and some others may rightly/wrongly feel so), i know where i can do so with my "peers" in real life because it's certainly not on the internet or on this website. either way, both would be a waste of my time.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

here4good

Postby here4good » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 6:39 am

@zzm9980

I am not saying you should be punished. I was merely pointing out that there are double standards. Also, I don't think we want to get into the area of the "standard of english". For some, it may not be their first language and my stance would be that you could say something if it is useful but making observations (and rather baseless observations) like the one you made does not add value.

@taxico

Agreed with you and I am not looking to make enemies or pick a fight. However, the moderator called me out and chose to remain silent on the comments made by zzm9980 and prior to that, I would still take that while zzm9980 is complaining that we posted "nonsense", his recent posts are of no value so I find that to be ironic. Also, like I pointed out, for some, myself included, hearing about other applicants/waiting times is in a way pacifying - there is no functional benefit but we are humans and not robots.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 7:02 am

here4good wrote:@zzm9980

I am not saying you should be punished. I was merely pointing out that there are double standards. Also, I don't think we want to get into the area of the "standard of english". For some, it may not be their first language and my stance would be that you could say something if it is useful but making observations (and rather baseless observations) like the one you made does not add value.

@taxico

Agreed with you and I am not looking to make enemies or pick a fight. However, the moderator called me out and chose to remain silent on the comments made by zzm9980 and prior to that, I would still take that while zzm9980 is complaining that we posted "nonsense", his recent posts are of no value so I find that to be ironic. Also, like I pointed out, for some, myself included, hearing about other applicants/waiting times is in a way pacifying - there is no functional benefit but we are humans and not robots.

You have an interesting idea of "adding value". Posting anecdotal waiting times is ridiculously useless. You can search the forum and easily see that no two cases are alike and that average wait times range from a few weeks to a few years. No two cases are alike and no one outside ICA will be able to give you an estimate on the wait time you should expect.

I'll admit not every post I make is of value, but I challenge you to look at every post I have made in the last month and not find at least 25% of of them contain solid factual data (or references to such data) which directly addresses the poster's question(s).

here4good

Postby here4good » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 7:15 am

@zzm9980

I do not doubt that. As I mentioned, yes, not every post is of the same value but not each one of us here is here to "score points" either. We are here to help each other. You see the value in posting only functional and some others take comfort in reading about other peoples status/waiting time. This, in a non-functional way, adds value. If you and the seniors have a boxed-in definition of what can and cannot be posted, then so be it, but I am only making the point that all non-informational posts are not nonsense.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 01 Aug 2014 7:39 am

here4good wrote:@zzm9980

I do not doubt that. As I mentioned, yes, not every post is of the same value but not each one of us here is here to "score points" either. We are here to help each other. You see the value in posting only functional and some others take comfort in reading about other peoples status/waiting time. This, in a non-functional way, adds value. If you and the seniors have a boxed-in definition of what can and cannot be posted, then so be it, but I am only making the point that all non-informational posts are not nonsense.

No, there is no definition at all. You can post anything you wish, which is why I posted my observation that your conversation *looked* like typical spambot interactions. You're also welcome to then make your posts about how you're offended by my comment, and I'm welcome to continue beating the dead horse. :)