Singapore Expats Forum

Hotel 81 - bad experience from their customer service

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Hotel 81 - bad experience from their customer service

Postby Guest » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 5:02 pm

an experience from me to share with you:

i went to one of the hotel 81 branch outlets with my fiance to book a room for 2 hours one saturday. it turned out that the assigned room had a faulty air-con monitor. and the funny thing is, we could even adjust the temp from "0-degree" onwards!

so naturally, we checked out the room and asked the counter staff to change us another. the first reaction of the front-line service manager beside, was a question: "have the room been used already?" i said no. then he told us that they could actually adjust the room temp remotely for us from their main control unit.

but when i told the manager that we preferred to adjust ourselves as and whenn we like, without needing to go thru' the hassle of picking up the room phone and request for a specific temperature adjustment, the manager strictly insisted that they could adjust for us just by phone calling.

i repeated my sentence, but it turned to deaf ears again and again. after that, i felt forced to accept his suggestion and returned to our room. it was ridiculous and i was really mad about their lack of good customer service. i don't see how such a reputable chain of singapore budget hotels would reflect that kind of behaviour.

question for you

Postby question for you » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 5:48 pm

I'm confused, why do you and your fiance need to book a hotel room for 2 hours on a Saturday??? Strikes me as odd, but whatever.

Postby Guest » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 6:17 pm

You had given the impression that you need the room for just 2 hours and they thought you will finish your "activities" and leave in 2 hours so why bother to adjust the aircon since you can adjust it yourself?

air

Aircon

Postby air » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 6:30 pm

I wouldn't even bother so long as the temp's right.

Can't expect much from a budget hotel my friend, you're not in Ritz.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 7:03 pm

question for you wrote:I'm confused, why do you and your fiance need to book a hotel room for 2 hours on a Saturday??? Strikes me as odd, but whatever.

Ahhh, you must be relatively new here. Many people live with parents and other relatives under one roof, sometimes because of economics, sometimes because of tradition. Privacy is not a word that can be applied in such circumstances.

Enter the hourly hotel. Unlike many other countries where such a hotel would be used exclusively for prostitution, such hotels are common here so that people have a place for a private meet. Sure, they're used for shagging the prostitutes, and no doubt there are plenty of married folks getting a little on the side, but the hotels serve a real need.

question for you

Postby question for you » Wed, 12 Jan 2005 8:21 pm

Thanks, Strong Eagle. Clears it up a bit.

alamak!

Re: Hotel 81 - bad experience from their customer service

Postby alamak! » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:49 am

Anonymous wrote:an experience from me to share with you:

i went to one of the hotel 81 branch outlets with my fiance to book a room for 2 hours one saturday. it turned out that the assigned room had a faulty air-con monitor. and the funny thing is, we could even adjust the temp from "0-degree" onwards!

so naturally, we checked out the room and asked the counter staff to change us another. the first reaction of the front-line service manager beside, was a question: "have the room been used already?" i said no. then he told us that they could actually adjust the room temp remotely for us from their main control unit.

but when i told the manager that we preferred to adjust ourselves as and whenn we like, without needing to go thru' the hassle of picking up the room phone and request for a specific temperature adjustment, the manager strictly insisted that they could adjust for us just by phone calling.

i repeated my sentence, but it turned to deaf ears again and again. after that, i felt forced to accept his suggestion and returned to our room. it was ridiculous and i was really mad about their lack of good customer service. i don't see how such a reputable chain of singapore budget hotels would reflect that kind of behaviour.

ha ha, I find this complainant a tad ridiculous. I mean come on, you pay peanuts you get monkeys haven't you heard? How much did you pay for the 2 hours - $20/$25? It's common knowledge these places offer cheap hourly rates for the activities that Strong Eagle has already explained quite clearly.

so what sort of 'customer service' were you expecting out of this meagre sum you paid them?! It barely affords them a small margin after paying their manager and washing the toilet and bedsheets after you!

linen

Postby linen » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:17 pm

For that kind of money, can you really be sure they actually wash the bedsheets......????

alamak!

Postby alamak! » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 1:27 pm

linen wrote:For that kind of money, can you really be sure they actually wash the bedsheets......????

eeewweeee.....scary thought you've put in my head. ha ha, and our dear complaining friend is more concerned about the air conditioning!!

Postby Guest » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 2:47 pm

some of you seem to defend furiously for this Hotel-81, so it makes me wonder if some of you are a staff of theirs and whether you are actually the same person with different identities ??? ??? :twisted: :twisted:

anyway, it's really shame on the hotel manager that even the customers have to report the malfunction of their facility to them through a feedback. looks like they should perform their job better in going round and check the rooms once a while, instead of just lazing around the front counter ??? ??? ??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

gp_man

Postby gp_man » Fri, 14 Jan 2005 2:59 pm

gives ppl impression tat they're not doing their job well to serve better, well...

Alamak!

Postby Alamak! » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 1:24 pm

Anonymous wrote:some of you seem to defend furiously for this Hotel-81, so it makes me wonder if some of you are a staff of theirs and whether you are actually the same person with different identities ??? ??? :twisted: :twisted:

anyway, it's really shame on the hotel manager that even the customers have to report the malfunction of their facility to them through a feedback. looks like they should perform their job better in going round and check the rooms once a while, instead of just lazing around the front counter ??? ??? ??? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Don't be daft please. I am not a staff of the hotel. I am just giving my opinion from a business perspective. From a business viewpoint, if I charge only a little, I can only provide a little - how else can I make any profit? If this hotel can be of Ritz's standard, I see little sense how Ritz can be a worldwide chain of hotels.

You obviously know little about the concept competitive advantage. This hotel's competitive advantage against Ritz is in its price and not service. Ritz's on the other hand is on service and the little pamperings of top quality soap, clean crisp sheets and ulta powerful air conditioning.

From a human viewpoint, if one can only afford to pay a little, then expect a little. How then to live a happy life.....