Singapore Expats

condos with big...well at least decent sized kitchens

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Goldy740

condos with big...well at least decent sized kitchens

Post by Goldy740 » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 8:21 pm

i know kitchens are low priority here in singapore with maids doing most of the work or ppl eating out but i love to cook as does my girlfriend and we are looking to move condo and wondered if anyone had any experiences themselves or perhaps visiting friends where there was an decent sized kitchen?

many thanks in advance
Last edited by Goldy740 on Thu, 24 Jul 2014 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Search By

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 24 Jul 2014 8:44 pm

Our kitchen is tiny. Smaller than you'd find in an HDB.

No concept of a decent spread of counter-top to work on, and have implements etc. out and on hand. I find myself having to have stuff out, pans, dishes, and put them on the hob (2 rings, wow generous!) between the rings/burners, or leave then in the sink ready to use... I find it confines me, it makes things a lot harder, always having to juggle things (often hot or 'urgent') to make space, and hence it's much less fun.

I cook less here, because doing so is, as above, so much more of a challenge, oh and B) because of the poor quality ingredients generally available... [bite me]

BTW You posted that twice over...

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: condos with big...well at least decent sized kitchens

Post by the lynx » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 9:23 am

Goldy740 wrote:i know kitchens are low priority here in singapore with maids doing most of the work or ppl eating out but i love to cook as does my girlfriend and we are looking to move condo and wondered if anyone had any experiences themselves or perhaps visiting friends where there was an decent sized kitchen?

many thanks in advance
Normally big condos have big kitchens.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 25 Jul 2014 11:52 am

Rent a semi-D... mine had a great kitchen... older... but lots of space... the neighbors kitchen was outside under the patio cover at the back... again, plenty of space.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 26 Jul 2014 8:32 am

I've never seen a condo in Singapore with a bigger kitchen. Older or newer, bigger (apartment) or smaller all of them had kitchens varying from mini to tiny*. I am afraid for anything of a bigger size you need to look for some other types of property.

*) A decent size kitchen for me is one where you can fit a table/stove in its center. A local, older standard is something around 2 x 2 m of central space, newer places have more like 1-1.5 x 2 m. The biggest one I have seen was I believe ~ 1 x 5 m.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 26 Jul 2014 1:49 pm

x9200 wrote:I've never seen a condo in Singapore with a bigger kitchen. Older or newer, bigger (apartment) or smaller all of them had kitchens varying from mini to tiny*. I am afraid for anything of a bigger size you need to look for some other types of property.

*) A decent size kitchen for me is one where you can fit a table/stove in its center. A local, older standard is something around 2 x 2 m of central space, newer places have more like 1-1.5 x 2 m. The biggest one I have seen was I believe ~ 1 x 5 m.
The 'free' space in our kitchen is 1.2*1.4M, which is small enough to make two people a crowd.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 26 Jul 2014 3:03 pm

In one of our earlier places, very new development, central area, it was ca the same after we put a regular 2 door fridge over there.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Post by uscate » Sat, 26 Jul 2014 7:07 pm

We lived in a newer condo with an "open plan" living room / kitchen area. It was a decent size, and I did do a lot of cooking at home, but I second JR8's comment that the main constraint I found was the really poor quality of groceries (and I shopped at wet markets, FairPrice and ColdStorage).

You may find an approximation to the kitchen size you're hoping for in some of the newer developments. Good luck!