Singapore Expats

Headhunters in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
Dworza

Headhunters in Singapore

Post by Dworza » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 2:31 am

I'm strongly considering moving to Singapore, but the problem is, that I don't know how to start searching for a job in IT. I was trying to use linkedin and jobstreet, but without any success. I quite don't understand this, as in the Czech Republic I'm frequently asked by headhunters if I'm opened to new job offers and if I'd quit my job now, I could get another without any problem. How you guys found a job in Singapore? Any suggestions?
:???: :???: :???:

{CV removed as this is not a recruitment board - moderator}

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 3:26 am

Singapore is a conservative place. It would likely help if you removed your current LinkedIn photo. In fact, some jobs still ask you to submit a photo with your CV. So cover the piercing, and put a professional looking headshot there.

Dworza

Post by Dworza » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 3:48 am

Oh...you mean that a photo in a suit and without piercings would help? :shock: I would never expect that....for example while I was working for IBM in the Czech Republic the senior managing consultant assured me, that they don't care about my look, they care only about my personality and knowledges..and as well the Societe Generale (4th biggest bank in Europe) has the same approach..discrimination because of the look is not even thinkable :(

Well...anyway..thanks for an advice zzm9980

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 6:43 am

Dworza wrote:Oh...you mean that a photo in a suit and without piercings would help? :shock: I would never expect that....for example while I was working for IBM in the Czech Republic the senior managing consultant assured me, that they don't care about my look, they care only about my personality and knowledges..and as well the Societe Generale (4th biggest bank in Europe) has the same approach..discrimination because of the look is not even thinkable :(

Well...anyway..thanks for an advice zzm9980
On the scale of Liberal to Conservative, Singapore is closer to Pakistan or Iran than Europe. :)

maybe just a clean headshot without the piercing and the hair pulled back. Nothing super professional, but definitely not the casual photo you posted. It will only help, especially if you apply via LinkedIn or include links to it with other applications.

After that bit of advice I can add that a lot of us have found LinkedIn the best resource for job hunting in Singapore. Especially if you're overseas. Note that you'll almost certainly have to make a trip here on your own for job hunting. If you hunt from overseas and let the recruiters know that you'll have a significantly harder time. So at least set your LinkedIn location to Singapore. If it gets to the point where you think you'll have interviews, just tell the recruiter you're currently out of country (true). Try to schedule all of your interviews during a 1-2 week window where you travel to Singapore.

Lastly: I'm sure you're immensely talented, and I personally recognize difference in qualities between various developers, but be aware many Hr will just look at your years of experience and the keywords on your resume. For you specifically, your competition will be Indian and other common sources of out-sourced developers willing to work for less than half what you are. Make sure you have something that stands out and convinces people you're qualified for something more (leadership etc) than your competition.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 6:46 am

Dworza,

Welcome to Asia. Asia is not Europe or Eastern Europe. If you want to come here, you need to be flexible and realize Asians have a different mindset. Tats are associated with gangs here in Asia. Whether this is true or not is not material, but their mindset is. As was already pointed out, it is a very conservative society here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Headhunters in Singapore

Post by JR8 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 9:39 am

Dworza wrote:I'm strongly considering moving to Singapore, but the problem is, that I don't know how to start searching for a job in IT. I was trying to use linkedin and jobstreet, but without any success. I quite don't understand this, as in the Czech Republic I'm frequently asked by headhunters if I'm opened to new job offers and if I'd quit my job now, I could get another without any problem. How you guys found a job in Singapore? Any suggestions?

Feel free to check my linekdin profile cz.linkedin.com/in/martindvoracek

I don’t see any piercings (maybe the pic has changed) but what I do see is ‘too much hair’. As mentioned elsewhere this is a very conservative place. Not in an in your face way – like women in burkas – but often in unspoken ways. It wasn’t that long ago (into the 1980s IIRC) that Immigration could force you to get a haircut at the border if they thought you looked like a hippy (that’s you). Keep in mind that men here do compulsory military conscription, with annual call-up exercises for years afterwards, and so tend to keep that required haircut for the rest of their lives. I do not recall the last time I saw a guy with even shoulder length hair here.

But it goes further. Your photo shows you in a T-shirt, and a bead necklace, and staring off into space as if stoned at a rock festival. I’m surprised this look works anywhere, even in Europe, as it reeks of lack of professionalism. It suggests far too much individualism and non-conformity: That will not fly here, or in much of Asia. Consider the Japanese expression, ‘The nail that sticks up, will be hammered down’. That nail, is any person who doesn't fit into society's norms and expectations. It's you - and meanwhile, you're hoping to get a job here.

The CV. At first I thought I’d made a mistake and it was all in Czech. That is what HRs here will also see as a 1st impression. Can you do two versions, one for your home market, and one entirely in English for the offshore market? In the latter you could then add a ‘nice and boring’ photo of you sans the hair, jewellery, T-shirt, and stoned look.

Lastly you don’t appear to have graduated. This is a significant hurdle for a relatively young (not having significant senior roles) job-seeker. To get a job here the potential employer has to persuade the government, why they want to hire you, instead of hiring a local. So, what have you got? What are your Unique Selling Points that locals here don't have? That needs to be your focus, together with a CV people can read, and a professional looking photo.

Edit: typo
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 9:51 am

JR8 wrote:
I don’t see any piercings
Pierced lip. Still there as of right now.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 10:47 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote: I don’t see any piercings
Pierced lip. Still there as of right now.
[snip]

You must have better Res than me.
Last edited by JR8 on Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:18 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote: linked to the linkedin site photo directly - pretty obvious to me.
Curious how it's so obvious in yours, but not at all apparent in mine.

Anyway, I think the point has been made: You're never going to get hired here looking like that.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:27 am

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: linked to the linkedin site photo directly - pretty obvious to me.
Curious how it's so obvious in yours, but not at all apparent in mine.

Anyway, I think the point has been made: You're never going to get hired here looking like that.

If you're logged in to LinkedIn, you can click the photo and it shows a higher res version.

I intentionally didn't link the photo here so that it isn't archived for eternity. I personally think it would be cool if you took it down for the guy, but your freedom to do whatever.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:31 am

Yep agree. The point has been made.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 11:43 am

And it's another talking about IT, like we've been doing in recent days/weeks/months are trying to tell everybody it is a packed marketplace already.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:09 pm

Being someone with long hair working with computers as well, here're my recommendations for your photo, videoconferences and interviews:

* take off the piercings
* a pony tail
* a button-up shirt, with a tie when possible, with a coat when more possible.

Only dress down if you already have the job and you notice that other people aren't so "dressed up."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:46 pm

nakatago wrote:Being someone with long hair working with computers as well, here're my recommendations for your photo, videoconferences and interviews:
* take off the piercings
* a pony tail
* a button-up shirt, with a tie when possible, with a coat when more possible.
Only dress down if you already have the job and you notice that other people aren't so "dressed up."
Or in two words: Grow up.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:57 pm

Dworza wrote:I'm strongly considering moving to Singapore, but the problem is, that I don't know how to start searching for a job in IT. I was trying to use linkedin and jobstreet, but without any success. I quite don't understand this, as in the Czech Republic I'm frequently asked by headhunters if I'm opened to new job offers and if I'd quit my job now, I could get another without any problem. How you guys found a job in Singapore? Any suggestions?

{CV removed as this is not a recruitment board - moderator}
Monster is better than Jobstreet, atleast in Singapore, atleast in my case, I am also in IT. I have never ever got a call from a recruiter saying he saw my CV in Jobstreet, JobsDB or JobsCentral. But Monster, plenty of them.